The network (along with Starburst) is making a big push with the show on MTV, VH1, and CMT. We'll see concerts with everyone from Adam Lambert and The Script to Reba McIntire and Phoenix. While the network is promoting this as a big "return" for the show, I'm not sure if completely went away. It's not like we haven't seen the show in ten years. Just last year they had 'Unplugged' concerts by people like Adele and Vampire Weekend.
The show will also be seen online at the web sites for the various networks. Earlier this year they dropped the "music" from their logo.
Well, MTV has finally caught up, making a visually minor but symbolically huge change to its logo: No more "music television."
I think the last time I actually cared about MTV was around 1991, so I'm not really invested in the latest Kanye West drama/hype that happened at last night VMAs. But I do think this picture was bizarre enough to post. It pretty much confirms that this is a world I have nothing in common with anymore. Thankfully.
[via The Awl]
I have no idea what MTV is like these days. I've watched it only a few times in the past several years, and even that was something like The Real World or maybe some special. People have been complaining for years that the network hasn't been showing videos like they used to. I don't know how true that is now, but if you're looking for a station completely devoted to music videos (and not reality programming), then check out MTV Music, the new web site that houses a bunch of videos old and new.
For the first time, the MTV Movie Awards is going to be broadcast live, and host Sarah Silverman promises there will be some controversial moments.
Adam told you a couple of months ago about Silverman being chosen as host of the annual show. This year it's being produced by Survivor mastermind Mark Burnett, who seems to have a hand in almost every show on the air right now, with the possible exception of The Mclaughlin Group. Silverman has already had simulated sex with a block of cheese at the Independent Spirit Awards (hmmm...must have missed that), and she tells USA Today: "The truth is, I'll probably be swearing a lot. But I don't think it will be any less funny. It will be fun to flirt with the conventions of live television. There's no way it's going to go totally smoothly, and I know, as a viewer, I'm always watching for the evidence of the 'liveness.' "
Wouldn't it have been hysterical if on its first day MTV couldn't afford the rights to any songs, so the entire day was nothing but videos for public domain songs like
"Happy Birthday" "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star?" I'm sure a few strobes and a fog machine would have added a whole new dimension to "Three Blind Mice," as performed by Alice Cooper: "She cut off their tails with a CARVING KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!!!"
But no, MTV launched in 1981 with a bunch of videos of regular pop and rock musicians, starting off with The Buggles catchy "Video Killed the Radio Star," a hit song that was later followed by other great hits from the band such as "Country Music Molested A TV Personality" and "Ragtime Was Convicted of Aggravated Assault."
Thanks to whoever runs the blog IZ Reloaded, you can now watch YouTube clips of every video that aired when MTV first jumped out of your cable box. There's also some REO Speedwagon songs for people like me who mock the band when around friends but secretly sings "Keep On Loving You" in the shower. I've placed The Buggles' video after the jump, cause I love that song.
Canada, there's something you should know about MTV. It's called Music Television, but there's rarely any actual music.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal': 22 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'YOLO'
- 'Grimm' Season 3 Episode Photos
- 'Elementary' My Dear Watson: Best Deductions from 'Tremors'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland': 18 Shocking Moments from 'Bad Blood'
- 'Project Runway All Stars' Season 3: Ranking the Looks of 'Marge Madness'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'X Factor': Demi Lovato, Rion Paige, Ellona Santiago on the Girls elimination
- 'Death Comes to Pemberley' trailer: 'Pride and Prejudice' and murder
- 'Bates Motel' Season 2 promos: Vera Farmiga, Freddie Highmore have dark times ahead
- 'Arrow' midseason finale photos: Do Oliver and Roy die in 'Three Ghosts'?
- 'Outlander' adds Simon Callow; Regina King joins 'The Strain' at FX
- More From Zap2it
- Exclusive Dracula Sneak Peek: Mina's Bloody Discovery May Be Her Undoing
- Scandal Exclusive: The Closer's Jon Tenney Joins Season 3 Cast as Love Interest for [Spoiler]
- TVLine Items: Regina King Joins The Strain, New Terminator Series In Development and More
- Did Blacklist's Wig Wow You? Glee's Best Jesus? Dead Cameo? WTF, GH Wedding?! And More Qs
- Scoop: Scandal Season 3 Episode Order Trimmed in Wake of Kerry Washington's Pregnancy News
- More From TVLine