Here's another reason to be jealous of the guy: he shares the screen with the awesome Carrie Brownstein, guitarist for the influential Portland indie rock band Sleater-Kinney, in 'Portlandia,' a sketch show that targets organic food-obsessed couples and feminist bookstore owners in the "city where young people go to retire," premiering tonight on IFC.
Brownstein's casting got us thinking about the some of our favorite indie rockers* who have turned up on the tube in bit parts, cameos, reality show judge panels and, in one case, their own eponymously-named talk show. After the jump, watch a searing political rant, listen to some good tunes and to take a trip back to the '90s with our list of 5 Indie Rockers Who Made the Jump to TV.
One Life to Live, on the other hand, does it really well. The last time Snoop was there, back in May, he did a couple of songs and interacted with the cast. The writers made it that Snoop had a past history with Bo, so they could get into it a bit in a funny way. When Snoop returns in February, he and Bo wil mix it up again. The Dogg will also do a song from his new CD, Malice N Wonderland.
Hey kids, it's time to break out that ol' guitar, trombone, washboard, monkey trumpet, or whatever the heck else you play and join me in listing the best bands to ever grace the small screen. Today we're going to focus on real bands, but don't worry, there's another "The Five" right around the corner where we'll discuss the best fictional bands on television. But for now:
The Tonight Show Band (under Doc Severinsen): The Johnny Carson era of The Tonight Show came to an end when I was a sophomore in high school, and while I never had the same loathing for Jay Leno many others did, I don't think the show will ever be able to duplicate the vibe created by Carson, Ed McMahon, and bandleader Carl H. Severinsen (his friends call him "Doc"). Don't get me wrong, Kevin Eubanks and the current musicians on the show all have chops to spare, but Doc and his fellow bandmates had a kind of old-time classiness about them I couldn't help but admire. And who could forget those glittery, kitschy suits he used to wear?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Extant' Recap: Spilling Secrets, Covert Experiments, and a Mysterious Party Crasher
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 10 Finale Photos: The Final Rose
- 'Mistresses' Episode 2.9 Photos: Toni Has News for Dom
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 4: Cody's HoH Photos
- 'Big Brother 16' Recap: Brittany's Bad Day and Cody's Bad Decision
- More From BuddyTV
- Extant Recap: Crappy Birthday to You
- Mircea Monroe, Aimee Garcia Join Michael Rosenbaum in TV Land Pilot
- Dominion's Roxanne McKee Teases Big Changes: 'Claire's Innocence Is Lost'
- New Girl Scoop: Jessica Biel Cast as Jess' New Nemesis
- Game Night Preview: 'What People Help Their Necks to Be Not Cold'?
- More From TVLine
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Share Baby North's First Steps With The World
- Tom Hardy Gets Apocalyptic In This Amazing New 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Poster
- Naya Rivera Changes Name on Twitter
- The Woman Calling the Shots in Chef Gordon Ramsay's Life
- 'NCIS' Star Pauley Perrette's Deadly Hair Dye
- More From ET