mystery science theater 300
Rhino released the first set of tapes and DVDs for 'Mystery Science Theater 3000,' just as they entered their final days on Comedy Central and they did a good job of filling the void before it found its footing again on the Sci-Fi Channel.
But they still left something to be desired. The episodes were fun, crisp and clear, but it left you wanting more when the credits rolled. Enter Shout! Factory. They brought a fresher and livelier approach to one of television's fresher and livelier shows, from the special features down to the cover art for the box sets. And they have continued that tradition with 'MST3K: XVII,' the latest in what's sure to be a long line of box sets for a show that hasn't even gotten through half of its decade-long line-up of episodes.
Over the 90+ minute run of the upbeat show, the Mystery Science Theater 3000 alums steered seemingly innocent holiday-themed shorts and clunky toy advertisements from bygone eras into dark, pitiful entries into irony complete with sexual innuendos and memories of failed Christmas' passed.
Weird Al Yankovic showed up to join in on mocking a delightful, but bizarre look at pork. But the high point of the show was a closing shot at a Max Fleischer directed version of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" -- including Santa visiting the heroic mammal in his bedroom with the disturbing words: "Rudolph...I need you tonight."
Now the laziest human beings on the planet can enjoy the classic MST3K series on the web, that is if they don't consider moving a mouse and a minimal amount of typing too much physical activity for one day.
Hulu has picked up five episodes of the series from the fourth, fifth and sixth season including such famous episodes as Super Agent Secret Dragon, Monster-a-Go-Go and (my personal favorite both on and off the Satellite of Love's screen) The Giant Gila Monster. Watch it, then get some exercise, please.
I say we're spoiled because I think that even die hard fans of Mystery Science Theater 3000 might be a little disappointed by the packaging for their new 20th Anniversary DVD set (there's two actually - a limited edition tin box and a regular set; this review is for the limited edition box in the pic above). Not for the content, but for the way it is put together.
Fa la la!
We told you last month about the new 20th anniversary DVD set for Mystery Science Theater 3000 that is going to be released later this year. The gang announced the details and the release date for the set yesterday at Comic-Con.
The 4 DVD set from Shout! Factory will be released on October 28 and will include four never-before-released movies: Laserblast, First Space on Venus, Werewolf, and Future War. Along with the movies will be tons of new interviews with everyone ever involved in the show, a documentary about the history of MST3K, footage of the Comic-Con Reunion panel, lobby cards, and even a collectible Crow T. Robot figurine! The set will come in a special 20th anniversary tin box (see pic above).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Originals' Quotes from 'Brotherhood of the Damned'
- 'Sleepy Hollow': 18 Moments of Hawley's Loyalties and Ichabbie's Fractured Bond from 'Kali Yuga'
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta': Brandi Glanville Disses Kyle Richards and Kenya Moore
- 'The Flash' Interview: Candice Patton on Iris' New Job and Love Life
- 'Glee' Episode 6.5 Songs: The Warblers Perform 'My Sharona,' New Directions Covers George Michael
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Dollmaker Torments Gotham, Parks Reunion on TBS & More
- Katie Holmes Joins Ray Donovan for Major Season 3 Stint
- Grimm Casts 'Prince William' to Play (Wait For It) a Royal
- Ratings: Originals, Jane, Sleepy Hollow and Bachelor Rise, Apprentice Dips
- New Girl Leashes Wilfred Neighbor Fiona Gubelmann
- More From TVLine
- Sam Smith Responds to Howard Stern Calling Him Fat & Ugly
- Moms Are Freaking Out About the Blizzard and Sending the Funniest Texts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Author Sara Shepard Reveals Her Favorite 'A' Theories — 'It's Twins!'
- 'American Idol' Winner Phillip Phillips Files Legal Claim to Escape 'Oppressive' Contract
- Selena Gomez Shows Off New 'Do on Bowling Date with Zedd
- More From ET