She's a maenad, which, according to Wikipedia, were the female followers of Dionysus in Greek mythology. "Their name literally translates as 'raving ones.' Often the maenads were portrayed as inspired by him into a state of ecstatic frenzy, through a combination of dancing and drunken intoxication. In this state, they would lose all self-control, begin shouting excitedly, engage in uncontrolled sexual behavior, and ritualistically hunt down and tear animals (and sometimes men and children) to pieces, devouring the raw flesh."
There have been production changes, the first pilot was trashed, they've inserted new characters, they've remade the mythology of the show (with the approval of the British creators), and now more news. The character of Annie Norris on Life on Mars will be played by Gretchen Mol. Yes, the beautiful, sexy and very blond Gretchen Mol. (Okay, she can dye her hair.)
I have the ultimate respect for Ms. Mol. She was excellent in 3:10 to Yuma (a really amazing Western that should have gotten some Oscar consideration). I just think she's the wrong choice for the role of Annie.
Big thanks to my pal Wild Bill for smacking me upside the ol' noggin' about this documentary.
Star Wars was the first movie I remember seeing in the theater, even though I was only seven months old when it was released (I saw it in 1980 when it was re-released to coincide with the release of The Empire Strikes Back).
I'm sure Star Wars fans have know about the History Channel's upcoming Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed for some time now, but if not, here's your heads up: the special airs May 28 at 9:00 p.m., then repeats at one in the morning.
What the hell does Star Wars have to do with history. you ask? Well, that's what this documentary is all about. It will delve into some of the subtle and not-so-subtle mythological and historical parallels that run throughout the original trilogy, including Napoleon, Hitler, King Arthur and Greek legends.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Amazing Race Season 25 Finale: And the Winner Is...
- Cable Ratings: Colbert Report Ends on High Note, Covert Finale Ticks Up
- David Schwimmer Joins FX's OJ-Themed American Crime Story as Robert Kardashian
- Once Upon a Time Casts Ernie Hudson as Ursula's Father Poseidon in Season 4
- Sarah Jessica Parker Eyes HBO Comeback in Divorce Comedy
- More From TVLine
- New Kids on the Block: Then & Now
- Kevin Jonas, Beyonce and Anna Kendrick Get Into The Holiday Spirit
- 'Annie' Stars Crack Jokes and Reminisce About Filming for ET Roundtable
- Move Over Meryl, Chris Pine Is the 'Into the Woods' Scene Stealer
- Oops! Obama Flubs James Franco's Name, Internet Responds
- More From ET