She's a maenad, which, according to Wikipedia, were the female followers of Dionysus in Greek mythology. "Their name literally translates as 'raving ones.' Often the maenads were portrayed as inspired by him into a state of ecstatic frenzy, through a combination of dancing and drunken intoxication. In this state, they would lose all self-control, begin shouting excitedly, engage in uncontrolled sexual behavior, and ritualistically hunt down and tear animals (and sometimes men and children) to pieces, devouring the raw flesh."
There have been production changes, the first pilot was trashed, they've inserted new characters, they've remade the mythology of the show (with the approval of the British creators), and now more news. The character of Annie Norris on Life on Mars will be played by Gretchen Mol. Yes, the beautiful, sexy and very blond Gretchen Mol. (Okay, she can dye her hair.)
I have the ultimate respect for Ms. Mol. She was excellent in 3:10 to Yuma (a really amazing Western that should have gotten some Oscar consideration). I just think she's the wrong choice for the role of Annie.
Big thanks to my pal Wild Bill for smacking me upside the ol' noggin' about this documentary.
Star Wars was the first movie I remember seeing in the theater, even though I was only seven months old when it was released (I saw it in 1980 when it was re-released to coincide with the release of The Empire Strikes Back).
I'm sure Star Wars fans have know about the History Channel's upcoming Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed for some time now, but if not, here's your heads up: the special airs May 28 at 9:00 p.m., then repeats at one in the morning.
What the hell does Star Wars have to do with history. you ask? Well, that's what this documentary is all about. It will delve into some of the subtle and not-so-subtle mythological and historical parallels that run throughout the original trilogy, including Napoleon, Hitler, King Arthur and Greek legends.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show': Taylor Swift, Fall Out Boy and Candice Swanepoel in a $10 million bra
- 'Spartacus,''Scandal,''Orange Is the New Black' and more of 2013's best TV
- 'Sleepy Hollow' recap: A golem, a sin eater, and Ichabod Crane walk into a carnival
- Can 'Almost Human' make the leap from good to great?
- 'The Voice': Tessanne Chin talks 'therapeutic' semi-finals performance, brunch at Adam Levine's house
- More From Zap2it
- Ratings: The Voice Boosts The Sing-Off's Return, Almost Human Ticks Up But Sleepy Slips
- Castle Casts Frances Fisher as a Woman from Beckett's Fashion Model Past
- How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: Ashley Williams Brings Victoria Back For One Last Encore
- SCTV's Martin Short, Eugene Levy and Andrea Martin to Reunite in NBC's Working the Engels
- Exclusive: Ray Wise Joins The Young and the Restless As a Blast From Nikki's Past
- More From TVLine