This Wednesday, January 10 at 10pm TV Land will debut a new series called Myths and Legends. The series will supposedly uncover the truth behind such urban legends as Mama Cass' death by ham sandwich, the hanging Munchkin from the Wizard of Oz, and Walt Disney's frozen head.
I only see one problem with this new show: it's completely unnecessary. A lot of the stuff this show plans to cover has already been covered before by other TV specials, and folks who were curious about these things have already investigated with the help of sites like Snopes.com. I'm usually a big fan of TV Land's original shows -- hell, I even liked I Pity the Fool, but someone tell me how this show made it to the air? Do I really want to sit and watch a show that tells me things I already know?
Okay, I won't completely dismiss a show I've yet to see. Maybe they'll approach these old rumors in a cool and refreshing way, but the premise alone feels more than a little stale.
This week, the MythBusters tackle one very weird myth, the myth of the exploding pants, and a few myths that seem very applicable today: the great gas conspiracy.
Painting with Explosives: The myth is, if you blow up a can of paint in a room, will it coat the room fully with the paint? And can the room withstand the explosion? A Mr. Bean episode mocked being able to do this, even showing a silhouette where someone was standing in the way of the paint blast. The MythBusters set up a small room on a bombing range, complete with a Buster for simulating the silhouette. First go, the explosion covers the room about 40% with paint, no silhouette, and destroys part of it in the process. So, myth busted.
Speaking of vodka myths, let's start with those.
Could you survive a 50-foot fall into a snow bank like Luke Skywalker did?
Those are just a couple of the questions the MythBusters attempt to answer in this great piece at starwars.com. Many fans of the MythBusters show already know that at least four of the team worked at the famed Industrial Light & Magic studios before starting the show. I'd always dreamed of working at ILM or the Skywalker sound studios, so it's great to see them talk about old times.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 13: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'Black Box': Meet the Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'The Blacklist' Episode 20 Photos: Being Framed for Murder
- Best 'Agents of SHIELD' Quotes from 'The Only Light in the Darkness'
- 'Arrow' Recap: Roy Rage and Mirakuru Madness Reach the Point of No Return
- More From BuddyTV
- Nashville: On the Record Recap: We'll Do It Live!
- American Idol Top 6 Performance Recap: Wanna Ya-ah-ah-ah-ah… Yahoo It! [Updated]
- CBS' Thursday Night Football Dates Set: When This Fall Might Big Bang Reclaim Its Time Slot?
- Arrow Recap: A Mother Of a Twist (Times Three)
- Sirens Sneak Peek: Will Johnny and Hank Allow Brian Into 'The Neutral Zone'?
- More From TVLine