This Wednesday, January 10 at 10pm TV Land will debut a new series called Myths and Legends. The series will supposedly uncover the truth behind such urban legends as Mama Cass' death by ham sandwich, the hanging Munchkin from the Wizard of Oz, and Walt Disney's frozen head.
I only see one problem with this new show: it's completely unnecessary. A lot of the stuff this show plans to cover has already been covered before by other TV specials, and folks who were curious about these things have already investigated with the help of sites like Snopes.com. I'm usually a big fan of TV Land's original shows -- hell, I even liked I Pity the Fool, but someone tell me how this show made it to the air? Do I really want to sit and watch a show that tells me things I already know?
Okay, I won't completely dismiss a show I've yet to see. Maybe they'll approach these old rumors in a cool and refreshing way, but the premise alone feels more than a little stale.
This week, the MythBusters tackle one very weird myth, the myth of the exploding pants, and a few myths that seem very applicable today: the great gas conspiracy.
Painting with Explosives: The myth is, if you blow up a can of paint in a room, will it coat the room fully with the paint? And can the room withstand the explosion? A Mr. Bean episode mocked being able to do this, even showing a silhouette where someone was standing in the way of the paint blast. The MythBusters set up a small room on a bombing range, complete with a Buster for simulating the silhouette. First go, the explosion covers the room about 40% with paint, no silhouette, and destroys part of it in the process. So, myth busted.
Speaking of vodka myths, let's start with those.
Could you survive a 50-foot fall into a snow bank like Luke Skywalker did?
Those are just a couple of the questions the MythBusters attempt to answer in this great piece at starwars.com. Many fans of the MythBusters show already know that at least four of the team worked at the famed Industrial Light & Magic studios before starting the show. I'd always dreamed of working at ILM or the Skywalker sound studios, so it's great to see them talk about old times.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: Vanessa Picks the Other Side
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Spoilers: Two Contestants Arrive While Someone Has a Change of Heart
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 10 Power of Veto?
- 'Bones': 10 Memorable Moments at the Jeffersonian
- The Funniest Quotes from ?Big Brother 17? Week 9
- More From BuddyTV
- Justin Bieber Returns to the MTV VMAs: Grade His 'Comeback' Performance
- Fear the Walking Dead Recap: It's the End of the World as They Know It
- Wes Craven, Horror Legend, Dead at 76
- Miley Cyrus Hosts the 2015 MTV VMAs: Grade Her Cameo-Filled Opener
- Quotes of the Week: Hannibal, Scream, Bachelor in Paradise, Days and More
- More From TVLine
- No 'Bad Blood' Here! Taylor Swift Joins Nicki Minaj on Stage During 2015 VMA Opening Performance
- Amber Rose Is 'Embracing the Negativity' With Shocking MTV VMAs Outfit
- Billy Ray Cyrus' Advice to Miley: 'Do What You Do Because You Love It'
- Taylor Swift Debuts Sultry 'Wildest Dreams' Video at MTV VMAs
- Vanessa Hudgens Wore a Coachella Couture Gown at the 2015 VMAs
- More From ET