Are you wearing a gorilla suit? if so, why not? Did someone forget to tell you that today is National Gorilla Suit Day? Didn't you notice the banks were closed and no mail was delivered? You would think in this day and age when information can travel instantly we'd all be on the same page about this.
Anyway, National Gorilla Suit Day stems from the late Mad Magazine artist Don Martin, known for his bulbous-nosed characters and wacky sound effects. In the Mad paperback Don Martin Bounces Back!, Martin illustrated a story about a man who wants to ban National Gorilla Suit Day and consequently ends up beaten up by gorillas and abominable snowmen.
To honor this special day, enjoy this clip from The Ernie Kovacs Show featuring the Nairobi Trio. Kovacs is one of my favorite old-time comedians. If I had been alive when his show was on, I would have watched it. Kovacs was one of the first comedians to play around with the television medium to create gags that couldn't be done on a live stage. Clip is after the jump.
Okay, now that we've covered the best bands on television, it's time to put our focus on those bands that, while maybe not "real," still had us tapping our feet, shaking our hips, and waving our hands in the air, almost, dare I say, as if we didn't care. Below are five that spring to mind, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a ton of others. Let's strike up the band, shall we?
Dr. Teeth and the The Electric Mayhem: Okay, let me see if I got this right. Floyd Pepper was the bass player, Janice was the guitarist, Zoot played saxophone, Animal played drums, and Dr. Teeth sang and played piano. I think that was the lineup of this insane band that "played" the opening and closing music on The Muppet Show, not to mention all their great performances during the show. I wonder how many current drummers got into it because of Animal? I'll bet quite a few.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'True Detective' Recap: Everyone's on the Run for Their Lives as a Detective Bites the Dust
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Jared and Jade Become Hot Commodities
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: King James Makes a Big Move
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Kicks Off with Wedding
- More From BuddyTV
- True Detective Recap: Up in Flames
- Food Network Star Recap: No Country for Bold Ramen
- UnREAL Finale Preview: Rachel's Choice, Quinn's War, Broken-Hearted Jeremy and Season 2 Scenarios
- Stephen Colbert's Late Show Promos Wield Magic, Mitt and a 'Dreamboat'
- The 100 Season 3 Video: Cast Talks Jaha's Revenge, Lexa's Return & More
- More From TVLine
- 'I Am Cait' Gets Emotional and Educational During a Road Trip With Some New Friends
- Cara Delevingne Shows Off Pink Hair at Girlfriend's Concert in Montreal
- Eliza Dushku Got Kicked Out of Hotel Room to Make Way for One Direction
- Jericho the Lion Is Alive Despite Reports
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys a Girls Night Out with Shania Twain: 'Music is Medicine'
- More From ET