Are you wearing a gorilla suit? if so, why not? Did someone forget to tell you that today is National Gorilla Suit Day? Didn't you notice the banks were closed and no mail was delivered? You would think in this day and age when information can travel instantly we'd all be on the same page about this.
Anyway, National Gorilla Suit Day stems from the late Mad Magazine artist Don Martin, known for his bulbous-nosed characters and wacky sound effects. In the Mad paperback Don Martin Bounces Back!, Martin illustrated a story about a man who wants to ban National Gorilla Suit Day and consequently ends up beaten up by gorillas and abominable snowmen.
To honor this special day, enjoy this clip from The Ernie Kovacs Show featuring the Nairobi Trio. Kovacs is one of my favorite old-time comedians. If I had been alive when his show was on, I would have watched it. Kovacs was one of the first comedians to play around with the television medium to create gags that couldn't be done on a live stage. Clip is after the jump.
Okay, now that we've covered the best bands on television, it's time to put our focus on those bands that, while maybe not "real," still had us tapping our feet, shaking our hips, and waving our hands in the air, almost, dare I say, as if we didn't care. Below are five that spring to mind, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a ton of others. Let's strike up the band, shall we?
Dr. Teeth and the The Electric Mayhem: Okay, let me see if I got this right. Floyd Pepper was the bass player, Janice was the guitarist, Zoot played saxophone, Animal played drums, and Dr. Teeth sang and played piano. I think that was the lineup of this insane band that "played" the opening and closing music on The Muppet Show, not to mention all their great performances during the show. I wonder how many current drummers got into it because of Animal? I'll bet quite a few.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Top 13 of 'Rising Star'
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Was the Power of Veto Used in Week 5?
- [Video] 'The Bachelorette' Season 10 Finale Preview: Josh Versus Nick
- 'Sharknado 2' Interview: Why the Sequel Will 'Surpass Expectations'
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Kim and Kanye's Marriage Trouble Rumors
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Ship Shape: How Fave Pairs From Major Crimes, Defiance, Witches, Falling Skies and Other Shows Are Faring
- TVLine Items: Fringe Fave Goes Orange, Ferb Gets Lost, Vikings Trailer and More
- Lee Pace 'Proud' of Halt and Catch Fire, Hungry for Hannibal and More Pies
- Extant Gets Later Wednesday Time Slot
- Covert Affairs Sneak Peek: Is Auggie OK With Annie Revisiting a 'Fling'?
- More From TVLine
- Robert Downey Jr. & 'Avengers' Cast Unleash 'Age of Ultron' Details & Big Laughs at Comic-Con
- Freddie Prinze, Jr.: Working with Kiefer Sutherland Made Me Want to Quit Acting
- EXCLUSIVE! 'The Fosters': Which Family Will Callie Choose? Watch Now!
- Stephen Colbert Rocks Full 'Hobbit' Costume To Host Comic-Con Panel
- Kendall Jenner Defends Topless Photo Shoot
- More From ET