Are you wearing a gorilla suit? if so, why not? Did someone forget to tell you that today is National Gorilla Suit Day? Didn't you notice the banks were closed and no mail was delivered? You would think in this day and age when information can travel instantly we'd all be on the same page about this.
Anyway, National Gorilla Suit Day stems from the late Mad Magazine artist Don Martin, known for his bulbous-nosed characters and wacky sound effects. In the Mad paperback Don Martin Bounces Back!, Martin illustrated a story about a man who wants to ban National Gorilla Suit Day and consequently ends up beaten up by gorillas and abominable snowmen.
To honor this special day, enjoy this clip from The Ernie Kovacs Show featuring the Nairobi Trio. Kovacs is one of my favorite old-time comedians. If I had been alive when his show was on, I would have watched it. Kovacs was one of the first comedians to play around with the television medium to create gags that couldn't be done on a live stage. Clip is after the jump.
Okay, now that we've covered the best bands on television, it's time to put our focus on those bands that, while maybe not "real," still had us tapping our feet, shaking our hips, and waving our hands in the air, almost, dare I say, as if we didn't care. Below are five that spring to mind, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a ton of others. Let's strike up the band, shall we?
Dr. Teeth and the The Electric Mayhem: Okay, let me see if I got this right. Floyd Pepper was the bass player, Janice was the guitarist, Zoot played saxophone, Animal played drums, and Dr. Teeth sang and played piano. I think that was the lineup of this insane band that "played" the opening and closing music on The Muppet Show, not to mention all their great performances during the show. I wonder how many current drummers got into it because of Animal? I'll bet quite a few.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Scream Queens Recap: Busy Bodies
- iZombie Boss on Liv's New Roomie, Major's 'Moral Crisis,' Season 2 Villains
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Recap: Lifeline
- Flash Premiere Recap: Flash, Forward — But What's With That Goodbye?
- Fuller House Adds Dallas Troublemaker Juan Pablo Di Pace as Kimmy's Ex
- More From TVLine
- The Dangers of Celebrity Yo-Yo Diet Transformations
- Ariana Grande Kisses Her 'Victorious' Co-Star Elizabeth Gillies and Accidentally Posts the Video
- 'Law & Order: SVU' Star Kelli Giddish Welcomes First Baby
- EXCLUSIVE: New Couple Alert! 'Empire' Star Serayah Is Dating Rapper Wale
- 'Real Housewives' Star Shannon Beador Reveals Husband David Left Her During His Affair
- More From ET