Fox Orders More 'Napoleon Dynamite' & 'Allen Gregory,' 'Torchwood' Gets Good Start on Starz & More TV News
According to Vulture, 'Gregory' received an order for six new scripts and 'Dynamite' got seven.
More script orders could happen this fall if Fox continues to like what it sees.
Look for 'Gregory' to premiere Oct. 30 after 'The Simpsons' traditional 'Treehouse of Horror' special. 'Dynamite' is set for mid-season.
In other TV news ...
This is designed to get you excited for some new shows ... and to warn you to curb your enthusiasm for others. Just keep in mind that we'll have full reviews of the final pilots closer to airdate, in the fall or midseason. For now, here are our snap judgments of all of Fox's new shows for the 2011-2012 TV season.
There are seven shows total -- the good ('New Girl'), the bad ('I Hate My Teenage Daughter') and the why-the-hell-did-this-happen (animated 'Napoleon Dynamite') -- and plenty of varying opinions from Mo Ryan, Maggie Furlong, Jean Bentley, Chris Harnick, Alex Moaba, Alexis Moore and Laura Prudom.
Here's how we're breaking these down:
Watch It - awesome show, can't wait for more
Skip It - it's either horrible or just totally not their thing
DVR It - there's potential, will give it a second chance
The long-delayed 'Terra Nova' finally gets its official debut this fall, with the Steven Spielberg-produced dinosaur show airing Monday nights at 8PM before 'House.' 'The X Factor' takes over 'American Idol''s time slot, and will help launch a new comedy on Wednesday nights.
Another interesting tidbit to note: 'America's Most Wanted' has been discontinued as a regular TV series; after 23 years Fox has decided to bring back the show in the form of occasional specials.
Check out the full lineup after the jump.
According to the Live Feed, the original cast members -- including star Jon Heder -- will be lending their voices to the cartoon. 'Simpsons' veteran Mike Scully, along with Jared and Jerusha Hess, are writing and executive producing the project.
Fox has also ordered another teen-targeted cartoon, this one from 'Superbad' star Jonah Hill and 'Yes Man' writers Andrew Mogel and Jarrad Paul.
When it comes to comedies, FOX knows where its bread is buttered: animation rules; live-action series fail miserably. Thus, it's not surprising to hear that the network is developing a new 'Napoleon Dynamite' series as its latest animated endeavor.
Based on the cult 2004 movie, the pilot will feature the original cast members -- including Jon Heder as the title character, Aaron Ruell as Kip Dynamite and Jon Gries as Uncle Rico -- voicing their animated counterparts. Also involved are Jared and Jerusha Hess, who wrote and directed the original film. To what extent they will be involved is unknown. Most likely they'll be special advisers to the project to make sure FOX doesn't totally botch the feel of the characters and the environment.
Whether or not this animated version of 'Napoleon Dynamite' will be picked up hasn't been determined. Should it be greenlit for a future television season, it will be interesting to see where it's placed on the schedule. Does it usurp a spot on the network's Animation Domination lineup, or will it anchor a new night of comedy? Stay tuned.
- Lots of new stuff on PBS tonight: Windsor Castle: A Royal Year, and then two eps of Monty Python's Personal Best, with Eric Idle's and Graham Chapman's favorite sketches. Check local listings.
- The first singer is voted off American Idol on FOX at 8pm, and then the men step up to the mic.
- CBS has two new eps of Still Standing at 8, followed by repeats of Criminal Minds and CSI: NY.
- ABC has new eps of George Lopez and Freddie, then repeats the Lost pilot ep.
- NBC has The Olympics.
- The WB has the movie Orange County, with Jack Black and Colin Hanks, while UPN has a new South Beach and a repeat Veronica Mars.
- On a new Emeril Live, the chef is "Saluting Dairy Farmers." Its on Food Network at 8.
- CMT has Dennis Quaid in Great Balls Of Fire at 8.
- Also at 8: ESPN2 has college basketball, Texas at Kansas State.
- Hasselhoff fans take note: Lifetime has him in One True Love, at 9.
- IFC has the movie Tadpole, also at 9, while HBO Zone has Napoleon Dynamite and STARZ has Sin City.
- At 10, Food Network has new eps of Good Eats and Ham on the Street.
- Also at 10: Bravo has a new Project Runway.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- September 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Extant' Episode 10 Photos: It's a New World
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- Fall 2014 Calendar: 121 Premiere Dates
- More From BuddyTV
- Report: Amazon to Revive The Tick, Starring Patrick Warburton
- Hotel Hell Sneak Peek: 'Everybody Thinks You're a Horrible [Bleep]'
- New Girl Casts Once Upon a Time Prince as Jess' Not-So-Charming [Spoiler]
- Wil Wheaton Project Cancelled by Syfy
- SYTYCD Video: Top 4 Unveil How They'll Celebrate — If They Win
- More From TVLine