national parks project
by Stephanie Earp, posted Mar 14th 2011 5:00PM
If you want to get film or television made in Canada, you're probably going to need a grant.
For my readers in countries with a population density over 3.3 people per square kilometre, a grant is a sum of money given by a government or charitable organization to assist artists and organizations in overcoming the fact that our free market is as tiny as our tundra is vast. And if you want to secure one of these grants, it helps if your goals are in line with those of the granting agencies.
On first glance, the new series 'National Parks Project,' debuting on Discovery World HD on March 19, seems designed to make the juries of our various arts councils cry with happiness.
by Stephanie Earp, posted Mar 9th 2010 11:23PM
I took a little break from this column last week because in my other life – the one not spent glued to the tube – I help run a 5-day film festival in the smallish Canadian city where I live. Running a film festival is not unlike running film – there are actors, directors and producers on hand, a general sense of panic, long hours, and really good after-parties, and with luck a critically-praised result.
This was my first year working on the film fest and I expected to be way out of my depth when it came to conversation. After all, I'm a small screen kind of girl. I even slipped up while introducing a panel of filmmakers, talking about how their films had "aired" the night before. Apparently, films screen, only TV shows air.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 10: Meet the Top 20 Dancers
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blogs: James' Cheating Revelation, Love Signs and Teasers
- ?The Bachelorette? Week 5 Photos: Heating Up in the German Alps
- The 11 Biggest Cheaters on Television
- The 30 Best Performances from 'The Voice' Season 4
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Big Brother 15' twist: 3 people will be nominated for eviction, plus a weekly MVP
- 'The Voice' winner talks Season 4 victory
- Cher proves it's a 'Woman's World' with performance on 'The Voice' finale
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Top 20: Meet the contemporary dancers
- 'The Voice' Season 4 winner: Danielle Bradbery, Michelle Chamuel or The Swon Brothers - who won?
- More From Zap2it
- Exclusive Photos: Will Defiance's (Very) White Wedding Go Off Without a Hitch?
- Eye on Emmy: Corey Stoll Votes Yea on House of Cards and the Movie-Like Netflix Experience
- Big Brother 15 House and New 'Twists' Revealed
- Fall TV Poll | Wednesday: Arrow Vs. Miles Matheson and Other DVR Dilemmas
- What to Watch Tonight: Franklin & Bash Is Back, Shatner Live in Cleveland, Futurama and More
- More From TVLine