"If my folks have a new slogan loaded up, they have not shared it with me. I think the feeling in this building is we'll do the best by being the best. I don't plan to change this newscast. We don't need to. Let's do the best newscast instead of the best commercials."
That last part seems to be an indirect nod towards the CBS commercials for Katie Couric taking over the CBS Evening News, and if you don't believe that, there's this quote, when asked why he's in Dallas, as Couric was earlier this summer:
"I'm not coming to address a rally or whip up large crowds of people."
Williams keeps track of the competition, and has been in the business long enough to know what would work on the show and what wouldn't.
"I could load up the Nightly News with crap and probably get a higher rating. We know how to do that but we won't."
NBC Nightly News continues to be the #1 network news program.
[via TV Newser]
With the announcement that she will take Katie Couric's place on NBC's Today show, Meredith Vieira becomes one of those rare personalities who has been employeed by all three major networks; ABC, CBS and NBC.
Vieira began her career in the newsroom of WCBS-TV in New York City. From there, she moved onto the network level as a reporter for the CBS Evening News and a contributor to newsmagazines 60 Minutes and West 57th Street. After a long stint at CBS Meredith moved to ABC as a reporter, but eventually changed careers and became one of the hosts on The View starting in 1997 (Good Lord! That show has been on for almost 10 years now!).
There are others who have jumped networks. For example, Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News was also on WCBS-TV in the late 80's and early 1990's before moving to NBC in 1993. Former 20/20 partners Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters both began their careers with NBC and then moved to ABC.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Kelly Osbourne Exits Fashion Police — Read E! Network's Official Statement
- Chris Meloni to Star in WGN Slavery Drama Underground — With Kanye West Eyed as Musical Contributor
- Chicago Fire Enlists Ugly Betty Alum Eric Mabius for Major Arc
- Pilot Scoop: JoAnna Garcia Swisher Joins Tommy Johnagin's CBS Comedy
- Teen Wolf Season 5: Shelley Hennig on Stalia 'Changes,' New Faces and More
- More From TVLine
- Kelly Osbourne Officially Quits 'Fashion Police' After Zendaya Comments
- Justin Bieber's First ET Interviews: See Our Favorite Moments on His Journey to Super Stardom
- Star Shots: What's On Instagram?
- Khloe Kardashian Shares Super Skinny Selfie: 'People Love to Call Me the Fat One'
- This Baby Biting His Dad Then Laughing Uncontrollably Is the New 'Charlie Bit Me'
- More From ET