On 'Late Night' (weeknights, 12:37AM ET on NBC), Fallon played acoustic guitar and intoned in Young's trademark whine, "Don't let haters keep me off my grind / Keep my head up, I know I'll be fine / Keep on fighting until I get there / When I'm down and I feel like giving up, I think again..."
Here's the original video if you haven't seen it. Jimmy Kimmel had the guy on his show recently.
But it was always the late night guys that got me. I loved Carson's show, but I identified much more with the sheer lunacy and sometimes brutal quality that Letterman created. And when I got to college, there was this new guy, Conan O'Brien, in Letterman's spot.
Fallon performed Platt's audition song from 'American Idol' word-for-word, and invoked Young's image by wearing a cowboy hat and wig, strumming a guitar and playing a harmonica on a neck holder.
Watch the video after the jump.
Well this was a pleasant surprise. After the past few mediocre episodes (save for the handful of great sketches in last week's Baldwin explosion), I wasn't expecting much from this. Sure, Jack Black is great and all, but lately I've just come to expect to be disappointed from SNL. Fortunately, the writers put together a nice set of laughs (and a couple extra guests) which is a good thing since this is the last episode we're getting until Scarlett Johansson hosts on January 14th.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Reign' Season 2 Cast Portraits
- 'Big Brother 16' Final 3 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'Under the Dome' Season 2 Finale Recap: Big Jim Goes on a Killing Spree
- 'Sleepy Hollow' Season 2 Premiere Recap: Do Abbie and Ichabod Escape Their Grim Fates?
- 'The Voice' Season 7 Premiere Recap: Gwen and Pharrell Get in the Game
- More From BuddyTV
- The Blacklist Season 2 Premiere Recap: Good Morning, Lord Baltimore
- Under the Dome Season 2 Finale Recap: Heeeere's Jimmy!
- Dallas Finale Recap: Fall in the Family
- Forever: Does ABC's Immortal Drama Have Staying Power?
- The Voice Season 7 Premiere Recap: Do You Si What They Si? [Updated]
- More From TVLine
- Breaking Down The Dance Numbers: 'DWTS' Recap
- Kris Jenner Officially Files for Divorce From Bruce After 23 Years of Marriage
- 'The Voice' Season 7 Premiere: Find Out Which Coach Has the Best Team So Far!
- Bill Clinton on Becoming a Grandfather: I Feel Like I'm in Labor
- 10 Reasons We're Still Pissed About 'Lost' 10 Years Later
- More From ET