On 'Late Night' (weeknights, 12:37AM ET on NBC), Fallon played acoustic guitar and intoned in Young's trademark whine, "Don't let haters keep me off my grind / Keep my head up, I know I'll be fine / Keep on fighting until I get there / When I'm down and I feel like giving up, I think again..."
Here's the original video if you haven't seen it. Jimmy Kimmel had the guy on his show recently.
But it was always the late night guys that got me. I loved Carson's show, but I identified much more with the sheer lunacy and sometimes brutal quality that Letterman created. And when I got to college, there was this new guy, Conan O'Brien, in Letterman's spot.
Fallon performed Platt's audition song from 'American Idol' word-for-word, and invoked Young's image by wearing a cowboy hat and wig, strumming a guitar and playing a harmonica on a neck holder.
Watch the video after the jump.
Well this was a pleasant surprise. After the past few mediocre episodes (save for the handful of great sketches in last week's Baldwin explosion), I wasn't expecting much from this. Sure, Jack Black is great and all, but lately I've just come to expect to be disappointed from SNL. Fortunately, the writers put together a nice set of laughs (and a couple extra guests) which is a good thing since this is the last episode we're getting until Scarlett Johansson hosts on January 14th.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- How to Get Away With Murder Recap: The Writing's on the Wallpaper
- Scandal Recap: The One Where Everyone Believes that Jake Killed a Kid
- Project Runway Finale: Did the Right Designer Win Season 13?
- ABC Orders More Castle, Once, Grey's Anatomy and 5 Other Series
- Vampire Diaries Recap: Paternity Quest
- More From TVLine
- Tori Spelling Sends Out Cryptic Message from Hospital -- Is She Leaving Dean?
- Mama June Reacts to Claims She's Dating a Convicted Sex Offender
- Justin Bieber Uses a Disney-Inspired Pick-Up Line on a Model!
- From Sea Urchins To Getting Framed, Taylor Swift Reveals Her Biggest Phobias
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Teases Us With Faux Sheer Look
- More From ET