For me, that phony vernacular of new age buzzwords that culminate in testimonials of poorly-worded self-expression are simultaneously the best and worst elements of a reality show. Naturally, that's what made Starting Over one of the few reality shows I could not only tolerate, but adore.
Therefore, there have to be other factors to explain why Oprah's landmark TV talk show has lost its luster -- at least ratings-wise. I've come up with six possible reasons.
(S02E04) This episode focuses on Tom, a 37-year-old salesman from New Jersey who has problems managing the stresses in his life. He's got a high-pressure job, he's divorced with a 7-year-old daughter, and his girlfriend Misti seems to be somewhat of a controlling type of person.
Tom decides to try out some New Age healing practices over the next 30 days in order to reduce his stress and hopefully improve his outlook on life. Misti is skeptical because she thinks that Tom will be supplanting his Christianity for "black magick" and other practices. Tom then meets with a life coach who will help map out a strategy for the next 30 days and to open his conciousness, which means attending and participating in a number of New Age rituals.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- Fall 2014 Calendar: 121 Premiere Dates
- 'The 100' Interview: Eliza Taylor, Ricky Whittle and Lindsey Morgan Tease Darker Season 2
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Adds Felicity's Hacker Boyfriend, Cupid and More
- More From BuddyTV
- The Following Changing Showrunners — For the Second Time in Three Months
- TVLine Items: Modern Family Adds Anders, Office Vet to B99 and More
- How Is The Leftovers' Kevin Hangin'? Is Arrow Wild About Warblers? Is Liars Timeline Pretty Crazy? And More TV Qs
- Chad Michael Murray, Dollhouse Fave Join Cast of Marvel's Agent Carter
- Arrow's Crazy No. 1 Fan Is... Sam and Dean Winchester's Mom?
- More From TVLine
- Joan Rivers' Condition 'Remains Serious,' Melissa Rivers Says
- Riff Raff Calls Sam Smith a 'Chubby Little F*ck Factory'
- Flashback Friday: ET's First Interview With Maroon 5, 10 Years Later
- Ariana Grande on Big Sean: 'I'm Happy'
- Did Kendall and Kylie Jenner Go Too Far with this Controversial 'DuJour' Photoshoot?
- More From ET