You see some amazing stuff on the National Geographic Channel, and one of the most watched videos on SlashControl right now is "The Girl With Eight Limbs."
It tells the story of Lakshmi Tatma, a girl born with four arms and four legs, who also carries a rare parasitic conjoined twin that could kill her. The episode delves into the fact that the people in Lakshmi's village actually revere her, because they see her as the Hindu Goddess of Wealth and Fortune in human form.
Have you ever wonder how it is those speed eaters can stuff so much food into their bodies in such a short amount of time?
No? Okay, then go away, this isn't for you.
If you are interested, tune into the National Geographic Channel July 8 at 9:00 p.m. for Science of Speed Eating. The special will examine the science behind these eating competitions by following three speed eaters, including Tim Janus, who only weighs 170 pounds. In fact, at one point a doctor will track the food as it makes its way through Janus' body. Yes, it's disgusting, but science is yucky sometimes. I think Einstein said that. Or maybe it was Bunsen Honeydew. Either way, it's true.
Reading about Man Among Wolves, the National Geographic Channel's documentary on Shaun Ellis, a man who takes on the mannerisms of wolves to help them learn to survive in the wild, I couldn't help but think of Werner Herzog's 2005 film Grizzly Man, the story of Timothy Treadwell, a man who lived among bears and was ultimately killed by one along with his girlfriend. I found Grizzly Man both fascinating and absurd: fascinating because it provided a view of these animals that's rarely seen, and absurd because of Treadwell's tenacious and unwavering belief that a human being could live among wild animals and not be in danger.
Ellis, the focus of Man Among Wolves, which airs April 16 at 9:00 p.m., does not live among wolves in the wild. Rather, he raises abandoned cubs and teaches them by example how to survive in the wild. I'm not an animal expert of any kind, but my first question would be, "aren't such survival skills instinctual?" I guess my question will be answered when I watch the documentary.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Burn Notice' Season 7 Premiere Photos: Michael Suffers from the Deal He Made
- 10 Former Contestants Who Should Be 'American Idol' Judges
- 20 TV Characters To Have a Summer Fling With
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 9: First Impressions of Desiree's 25 Men
- 13 Fresh Faces of Summer 2013: Who to Watch in Television and Movies
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Nashville' season finale: Everyone's alive, everyone's a mess
- 'Criminal Minds' Season 8 finale: Who fell victim to The Replicator?
- 'Modern Family' Season 4 finale: 'Goodnight, Gracie' ends with a Dunphy funeral
- Farrah Abraham's new show a 'reality docu-soap' with Spinboi Films
- More From Zap2it
- Chicago Fire Finale Recap: Ready, Set, React!
- Criminal Minds Finale Recap: The Replicator Is Unmasked, But Not Before Striking Back
- Nashville Season Finale Recap: The Truth Is Out!
- Law & Order: SVU Season Finale Shocker: Is [Spoiler] Leaving the Show?!
- More From TVLine