There are many memories I have of MTV: watching Live Aid while working a double shift at a pizza place, 120 Minutes, those early days when they actually played music videos. But I don't remember Alan Hunter or Nina Blackwood talking about oral sex.
But they do over at Nerve! The two VJs, along with Mark Goodman and Downtown Julie Brown, give love and sex advice to younger people. Should you set the mood with music or go the silent route? What's the best song for a breakup? What happened when Alan Hunter got a hardon while interviewing a Hawaiian Tropic model and a bunch of frat boys pointed it out to him on national television?
For those of you who grew up on MTV in the 80s, this may fall into the "way too much information" category, but it's worth it to read Goodman and Blackwood use the phrase "suck it up," probably not even realizing the double meaning there.
MTV has decided to downplay tomorrow's silver anniversary celebration; according to this AP article chronicling the channel's seminal moments, they won't even mention it. I guess it's fitting, considering they stopped showing music videos when most of its current audience were in diapers. To them, the MTV of Martha Quinn, J.J. Jackson, Mark Goodman, and Nina Blackwood is a completely different channel than the one that currently is relying on Laguna Beach marathons. I'm sure sister channel VH1 will have something for their Gen X audience to satisfy their nostalgia jones, but I'm sure they'll stretch it into a five-part talking head show with Mo Rocca.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' Episode 11.4 Photos: Will Brennan Feel Competitive with Betty White's Dr. Mayer Around?
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21: Switch-Up Performance Rankings
- 'The Originals' Episode 3.2 Photos: Impending Threats and a Dire Prophecy
- Best 'Castle' Quotes from 'What Lies Beneath'
- 'The Voice' Interviews: Which Contestant Found It a 'Little Scary' to Work with Selena Gomez?
- More From BuddyTV
- Fresh Off the Boat Lands Full Season 2 Order at ABC
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS, Looking, Vampire Diaries, Castle, Arrow, Scorpion, Once, S.H.I.E.L.D. and More
- The Wiz Live: First Cast Photos Reveal Dorothy and Pals' Oz-some Costumes
- For Kingdom Season 2, 'Unreasonable Commitment' Was the Cast's Mantra
- Pretty Little Liars' Lucy Hale Offers Hope for 'Ezria' in Season 6B, Teases 'Deadlier' Threats From 'A'
- More From TVLine
- Daniel Craig's 'Spectre' Co-Star Defends Him After Controversial 'Slash My Wrists' Remark
- Hayden Panettiere Seeking Treatment for Postpartum Depression
- Bradley Cooper Stands by Jennifer Lawrence Over Equal Pay in Hollywood: 'There Is a Double Standard'
- Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos Step Out With Their Adorable Kids -- See the Pic!
- Amy Schumer Says She Has 'Nothing but Love' for the Kardashians Following 'SNL' Diss
- More From ET