There are many memories I have of MTV: watching Live Aid while working a double shift at a pizza place, 120 Minutes, those early days when they actually played music videos. But I don't remember Alan Hunter or Nina Blackwood talking about oral sex.
But they do over at Nerve! The two VJs, along with Mark Goodman and Downtown Julie Brown, give love and sex advice to younger people. Should you set the mood with music or go the silent route? What's the best song for a breakup? What happened when Alan Hunter got a hardon while interviewing a Hawaiian Tropic model and a bunch of frat boys pointed it out to him on national television?
For those of you who grew up on MTV in the 80s, this may fall into the "way too much information" category, but it's worth it to read Goodman and Blackwood use the phrase "suck it up," probably not even realizing the double meaning there.
MTV has decided to downplay tomorrow's silver anniversary celebration; according to this AP article chronicling the channel's seminal moments, they won't even mention it. I guess it's fitting, considering they stopped showing music videos when most of its current audience were in diapers. To them, the MTV of Martha Quinn, J.J. Jackson, Mark Goodman, and Nina Blackwood is a completely different channel than the one that currently is relying on Laguna Beach marathons. I'm sure sister channel VH1 will have something for their Gen X audience to satisfy their nostalgia jones, but I'm sure they'll stretch it into a five-part talking head show with Mo Rocca.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 21 Touching and Frightening Moments from 'Greensleeves'
- 'Arrow' Interview: Willa Holland on Thea's Unusual Relationship with Malcolm, Love for Roy and New 'Kick-Ass Attitude'
- 'The Voice' Interviews: Toia Jones on What Led to Her Emotional Battle Round Rehearsal
- 'The Flash': 15 Secrets Kept or Revealed During 'Things You Can't Outrun'
- 'Supernatural' Mystery: Who Is the Red-Headed Woman?
- More From BuddyTV
- Port Charles' Marie Wilson Joins Days as a Woman From [Spoiler]'s Past
- Grimm's David Giuntoli on Whether a Normal Nick Can Leave the Fractured Fairy Tales Behind
- Bewitched Update: NBC Pilot Will Follow Samantha's Granddaughter
- Damages Alum Joins WE tv Thriller South of Hell Opposite Mena Suvari
- MasterChef Junior Preview Video: 'No Wonder These Kids Curse Brilliantly'
- More From TVLine