'Treme' is often a political show, by necessity, and you can see where that voice comes from listening to Elie. "How can our chefs and our musicians be less vital to the national interest than whatever's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan or halfway around the world," he said. When it came time, Bourdain did not flinch from dispatching the pig with a pistol. "That's the way they taught me in Jersey," he said.
The kitchen Bourdain was a guest in belonged to Ferran Adrian, considered one of the world's best chefs at one of the world's best restaurants, El Bulli on Costa Brava in Spain. Bourdain traveled to the restaurant before it closed in July to cook with Adrian, his last chance to do so at El Bulli. The dishes Bourdain assisted with are not the kind of cuisine you're likely to whip up at home.
It turns out that Bourdain and the guys have a long-standing grudge against the Grammy voting panel for what they deem an unforgivable lapse over 20 years ago.
As Bourdain puts it, an "ageing, clueless and increasingly incontinent Grammys judging panel" controversially awarded the 1989 Grammy for Best Hard Rock and Metal record to British prog rockers Jethro Tull.
In the Travel Channel's 'No Reservations,' he's expected to visit distant lands, share authentic cuisines with local friends and drink heavily on the job. He's been doing this for six seasons and there seems to be no end in sight. Unlike his Travel Channel brethren who are expected to eat bugs for their meal tickets, Bourdain never does what he doesn't want to do.
But it's hard to be truly jealous of the man without witnessing it for yourself. Today the fifth installment of 'No Reservations' comes out on DVD. Find out why your job sucks by watching the man in action today.
Other honorable mentions hitting DVD shelves today are the final season of 'Scrubs' and the first season of 'The Cleveland Show.'
Find out the rest of the new releases after the jump!
He reminds me of those friends I had in college who would stop listening to bands the second their videos were played on '120 Minutes' or they somehow made it past the confines of college radio. But at the same time, the guy seems like he'd be fun as hell to hang out with, where a visit with him always ensured you of great food, great drink, and great conversation.
So it's with great amusement that I give you the following clip, which is Bourdain playing "Doctor Tony" on Nickelodeon's fantastically trippy kids' show 'Yo Gabba Gabba!'. It's a preview of his guest stint, which is set to air on March 10:
Alex O'Loughlin fans have been begging to get him a new role on TV -- and now, he's booked it, Danno. I've got O'Loughlin's thoughts on taking the lead in the 'Hawaii 5-0' remake. Then I've got his 'Back-up Plan' costar Jennifer Lopez dishing about her stint on 'How I Met Your Mother' and going all Madonna on 'Glee.'
Plus, don't miss a hilarious reveal from no-nonsense 'No Reservations' host Anthony Bourdain, and the scoop on 'The Ricky Gervais Show' from funnyman Stephen Merchant.
Want more? Email me TV questions at TheTVShowGirl@aol.com and I'll try to get you answers on the show. -- By Maggie Furlong
As host of Travel Channel's 'No Reservations,' we've seen Tony eat anything and everything on his culinary adventures -- and, at least once an episode, we're also treated to his usually curse-laced rants. Consider it the sparkly candle on top of an already amazing Kwanzaa cake. (More on that in a bit ...)
We caught up with the globetrotting foodie -- who'll have Bill Murray on the show's Hudson Valley episode tonight (Mon., Feb. 8, 10PM ET) -- to hear more about his biggest food loves, his problems with Bradley Cooper and why a simple 'Semi-Homemade' cake on TV haunts his dreams.
Personally, I wouldn't bleach my hair and wear those shorts, but come on, is it really worth bad mouthing his hosting and cooking? I love Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and Ultimate Recipe Showdown!
Update: it's actually Chang who made the remarks, but Bourdain doesn't like Fieri either.
If you haven't been keeping track of the things Bourdain has been saying about the Food Network host, here's a quick summary. Bourdain wrote some unkind things about Lee and her Semi-Homemade Show (and some other Food Network hosts) a couple of years ago. Among other things he called her "pure evil," a "hell spawn," and said "she must be stopped." Ouch. There's also this video of Bourdain at a food festival dumping on Lee, and now Bourdain has written on his blog about his recent brief encounter with Lee. at the premiere of Julie & Julia.
Our friends over at Gadling.com have an interview with Bourdain. Justin asks him about his early experiences traveling overseas, the one time he ate street food that forced him to go to the doctor, and where the show will take him this season (and how he chooses where to go).
The new season of No Reservations starts at 10pm tonight on The Travel Channel.
The Henry Rollins Show
Ex-Black Flag frontman Henry Rollins will be back for a second season on IFC. Premiering on April 13th, the late-night talk show is adding an editorial element with guest-star commentator Janeane Garofalo making the occasional appearance. Twenty episodes have been ordered up.
When fighting broke out in the Middle East recently, chef, author, and TV show host Anthony Bourdain found that he was trapped in Beirut with his crew. They were filming an episode of the Travel Channel series No Reservations. Bourdain and the four people with him were stuck in the city for a week, and eventually found their way back to the U.S. Bourdain held a chat at The Washington Post web site recently.
Bourdain not only talks about the food he tasted there, but also offers a view of the people he encountered, in a way you might not see on the cable or network news coverage.
However, because of the battles between Israel and Hezbollah that broke out last week, Bourdain and crew are now stuck in the Lebanese capital, which is being hit for the first time in many years by artillery fire. After a thread about their predicament got started on the Travel Channel's bulletin board, Bourdain responded with his usual brand of weary nonchalance: "We are all of us (Diane, Jerry, Toddles, Tracey and me) in good health, good spirits and working ferociously on our tans and sipping blender drinks while watching the fireworks from a secure location. Our masters at Travel Channel have made sure we are being well looked after."
I would hope that the Travel Channel folks are trying to get Bourdain and crew out, but it's probably really difficult right now. Here's hoping that everyone continues to be safe.
[via Pop Candy]
- At 8, ABC has a repeat Wife Swap, then a repeat Supernanny, then a new ep of How To Get The Guy. Wow, what a crappy night of television.
- CBS has repeats of King of Queens, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Men, Old Christine, and CSI: Miami.
- NBC has Hurricanes/Oilers Stanley Cup action at 8.
- Over on FOX at 8, the two hour season premiere of Hell's Kitchen.
- The WB has two 7th Heaven repeats, while UPN has repeats of One on One, All of Us, Girlfriends, and Half & Half.
- A&E has Look! Up In The Sky, the history of Superman, at 8.
- Also at 8: AMC has the Bond flick, From Russia With Love.
- At 9, the Travel Channel has a new Steve Irwin's Great Escapes, followed by a new Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.
- Biography has a profile of The Rat Pack at 9.
- Food Network has a new "Outdoor Grilling" ep of Unwrapped at 9.
- Also at 9: TNT has the season premiere of The Closer, followed by the debut of Saved.
- At 10, ESPN has World Cup coverage.
Bourdain's new book, The Nasty Bits, is pretty damn great, by the way. It's a collection of his columns over the years. The man knows food, but he's a helluva writer too.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Following': 15 Shocking Moments from 'The Messenger'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 18 Official Photos: Celebrities with Their Partners
- 'The Bachelor: After the Final Rose' Recap: Is the Couple Still Together?
- 'Intelligence' Recap: A Paralyzing Agent Hits Too Close to Home
- 'Bates Motel' Recap: A Drug War Begins
- More From BuddyTV
- Terry Crews: 'I'm game' for Marvel's 'Luke Cage' Netflix series
- 'The Following' Season 2, episode 8: Why was the big twist revealed before 'The Messenger' aired?
- 'Doctor Who': Is a major villain returning in Season 8?
- 'WWE Raw' March 10 recap: Daniel Bryan's #OccupyRAW gets him a 'Wrestlemania' match
- 'Star-Crossed' Season 1, episode 4 recap: 'And Left No Friendly Drop'
- More From Zap2it
- The Bachelor Finale: Who 'Won'? Why Was Juan Pablo Glum? And Who's the New Bachelorette?
- Teen Wolf Recap: 'Chaos Has Come Again'
- Do You Believe In NBC's Supernatural Drama?
- The Voice Recap: Maybe Just One More Try?
- Pilot News: Alana De La Garza, Gabourey Sidibe, American Dreams Dad Among Latest Castings
- More From TVLine