From the moment it debuted on July 12, 1990, until it ended its run on July 26, 1995, 'Northern Exposure' was something special, and a large part of that success was due to the cast. The show was a launching pad for some of the younger actors, and a showcase for many others. On the anniversary of the show's premiere, we decided to catch up with the cast.
If 'Glee' has you yearning for more song-and-dance routines on TV, hold onto your (top) hats! From April 29 to May 5, Fox is turning several of its shows into musicals, including 'Bones,' 'House,' 'The Simpsons,' even 'Fringe.' On May 2, 'Family Guy' will celebrate its 150th episode with an extended episode featuring new and familiar musical numbers. Suffice to say the shows should be a blast, for both us and the actors.
Of course, TV aficionados know this is nothing new. Shows like 'Ally McBeal,' 'Eli Stone,' and 'SpongeBob SquarePants' have featured musical numbers regularly, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention 'Viva Laughlin' and 'Cop Rock' (even though the latter was declared by TV Guide to be one of the worst shows ever, ouch!). In fact, we can trace the trend back to classic episodes like Bugs Bunny's 'The Rabbit of Seville' and 'What's Opera, Doc?'
Which got us thinking, what other TV romances were so wrong on so many levels, they've brought down entire shows?
Instead we have adorable little girls frolicking in winter wear. I have nothing against the little ladies. Like I said, they're adorable. They really make those sweaters work, so kudos to Gap for showing off their products in a positive way. If only the singing were as positive.
But AOL TV's picks of the top TV dramas include the most brilliant doctors and lawyers, the angst-iest teens, sci-fi series that transcend their genre molds, family dramas that both warm and break your heart, terrorist- and mobster-fighting heroes ... and a show that combined the best of family and gangster drama into one unforgettable series.
Click through to see all 50 of the best TV dramas of all time.
But this isn't any old list – our Top 40 TV Shows of the '90s is just the first in a new series of countdowns in which we'll put our AOL Television seal of approval on the top 40 series of every decade.
Every other month we'll tackle another decade, going all the way back to the '50s, to recall the best comedies (hello 'Lucy'), the best prime-time soaps (do you remember who shot JR?), the best cop shows, animated series and groundbreaking TV shows.
So kick off 50 years of silver-screen bests with the greatest shows of the '90s, including everyone from 'Beavis,' 'Buffy' and 'Simpsons' to 'Freaks and Geeks' and teens on the 'Creek.'
In fact, at least one Hollywood writer recognized in Sarah Palin's being plucked from virtual obscurity was like one of his creations. Rod Lurie, the writer/producer of Commander in Chief, joked that he and Gena Davis should be asking for royalties if Palin emerges as McCain's VEEP, especially if she becomes president like Davis's character did on that ABC drama series.
Here are the main TV characters that come to mind when you think about Palin:
This sounds like a promising new project: John Corbett as Toni Collette's leading man in the Showtime comedy pilot United States of Tara. The show comes from the pen of Diablo Cody, fresh off her Oscar win as the screenwriter of Juno, and the pilot's director is Craig Gillespie who received plaudits for the indie hit Lars and the Real Girl. Oh, and did I mention that Steven Spielberg is one of the producers? Considering this collection of talent and Showtime's recent programming successes, United States of Tara sounds like another ace for the cable net.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow:
- The Addams Family - Complete Series
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Season 4
- Captain N and the New Super Mario World - Complete Series
- DaVinci's Inquest - Season 2
- DuckTales - Vol. 3
- Gilmore Girls - Complete Series and Season 7
- Kenny vs. Spenny - Season 3
- Masters of Horror - Dream Cruise and Season 1,Vol. 3
- Melrose Place - Season 3
- Miami Vice - Complete Series
- Northern Exposure - Complete Series
- Perrry Mason - Season 2, Vol. 2
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? - Treasure Chest Gift Set
- South Park - Christmas Time
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Atlantis SquarePantis
- Tale Spin - Vol. 2
- The Young Ones - Extra Stoopid
- Zorro: Generation Z - Return to the Future
As I started putting this list together it occurred to me, "Holy crap, there is a lot of good TV this summer." The summer used to be the time when my VCRs cooled their worn out heads after nine months of hard work. And now I find myself needing the Tivo and the DVR to keep up with everything. That's progress!
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Doctor Who - The Invasion and The Sontaran Experiment
- Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends - Season 1
- Hawaii Five-0 - Season 1
- The Loop - Season 1
- Moonlighting - The Final Season (review coming tomorrow)
- Northern Exposure - Season 6
- Sabrina, The Teenage Witch - Season 1
- South Park - Season 9
- Stargate: Atlantis - Season 2
Not that there is anything wrong with that. NCIS does as good a job as anybody at mixing the two facets. As the story moved along though, there was something of an ongoing story that continued to develop. I'm referring to the ever evolving relationship between Tony and Ziva. Their bickering and fighting has proved quite entertaining in the past, but as season four has progressed, things have slowly been changing. It's a nice bit of writing the team is doing as they've taken their time to let this all come out.
Based on the BBC series of the same name, the show focuses on four guy friends experiencing the mid-life crisis rite of passage that, for better or worse, we'll all be going through some day if we haven't already.
Corbett will be playing a former Deadhead pot smoker who has made an art form out of sabotaging his own life.
You can check out Corbett's own mid-life, wish-fulfillment strategy via his country music outing with the John Corbett Band.
[Via Pop Candy]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'The Hurt Locker, Part 2'
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilots: CBS Adds David Shore/Bryan Cranston Drama, James Patterson Riff
- Pilots: ABC Orders Comedies About Johnny Knoxville, NBA Odd Couple, Genius Kids, Plus 4 Others
- Ground Floor Cancelled at TBS
- Glee Recap: Love in an Elevator
- Pilots: ABC Orders College Conspiracy, Modern Oil Boom Dramas, Others
- More From TVLine
- See the Time That Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Met President Obama
- Your Exclusive Puppy Bowl XI Preview: Live Scoring, Katty Furry & More
- Heidi Montag's Father Arrested on Child Sex Abuse Charges
- Zac Efron's Baby Photo Is the Most Adorable Thing Ever
- Stars Hit the 2015 Sundance Film Festival
- More From ET