And now comes word that a contestant that was taping an appearance on the show has died.
A lot of other people like the summer show too, and now ABC has announced that the show has been renewed for a third season.
|It's brilliant!||307 (27.8%)|
|It's stupid!||309 (28.0%)|
|It's probably stupid but I love it anyway||489 (44.3%)|
So I watched a repeat of the first episode of ABC's new game show Wipeout, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Like most American males, I like seeing people* fall from high, wet places and get punched in the face, but I'm not sure how many weeks I can watch the thing. I'm also not happy with the plugged-in comments from the hosts (John Henson and John Anderson) we have to listen to. For every really funny comment there are seven that make you groan. And I wonder if the show will just grow tired after a few weeks.
But there's no denying that there are some wild stunts here. Everytime someone goes sailing off that ramp in the dark or bounces on those giant balls and their body jackknifes and hits the water I'm thinking, these people could easily break their necks. Sure, Survivor has crazy challengs and Fear Factor had nutty stunts, but this stuff seems especially dangerous. And that's why ABC has them sign a 50 page release.
Endemol USA has a pretty solid reality track record, with NBC's Deal or No Deal and 1 vs. 100, CBS's Big Brother and ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. And, according to The Hollywood Reporter, they are hoping to continue that streak into the new year with Wipeout. ABC has ordered a pilot for the competition in which 50 people must navigate through "the world's largest obstacle course" for a chance at $50,000.
While there aren't many details as of yet, I couldn't help but be reminded of G4's Ninja Warrior, in which contestants from the world over have to complete in four rounds of obstacle course. G4 brought it to American from Japan in 2007 where it has become a guilty pleasure addiction for way, way too many of us.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Revenge': Winners and Losers from 'Surrender'
- 'Nashville' Preview: 5 Compelling Reasons to Watch the Season 2 Midseason Finale
- [Video] 'Almost Human' Sneak Peek: Kennex Finds Out What's Down There
- [Video] 'Sleepy Hollow' Sneak Peek: Ichabod Takes Extreme Measures for the Truth About His Son
- 'The Amazing Race' Season 23 Finale Not So Fast Pass Rankings: How the Mighty Have Fallen
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Survivor's' Caleb Bankston: Colton and I are getting married next October
- 'Six by Sondheim': Darren Criss, America Ferrera give fresh voice to Stephen Sondheim classics
- 'Bonnie & Clyde' Part 1: Did the bloody, bank-robbing tale captivate or bore?
- 'Hostages': Watch Brian drop a dime on Duncan to Nina in 'The Cost of Living'
- 'Blacklist,''Supernatural,''Glee,' and more of the best lines on TV this week
- More From Zap2it
- USA Network Moves Suits Back to Thursday, Sets Premiere Date for Psych Season 8
- What to Watch Monday: The Sing-Off Returns, Sleepy Fall Finale, Christmas Light Fight and More
- Revenge Recap: The Bitch Is Back!
- Once Upon a Time Recap: Curses, Foiled Again!
- Quotes of the Week: Best Zingers From Masters of Sex, HIMYM, Scandal, Tomorrow People & More
- More From TVLine