And now comes word that a contestant that was taping an appearance on the show has died.
A lot of other people like the summer show too, and now ABC has announced that the show has been renewed for a third season.
|It's brilliant!||307 (27.8%)|
|It's stupid!||309 (28.0%)|
|It's probably stupid but I love it anyway||489 (44.3%)|
So I watched a repeat of the first episode of ABC's new game show Wipeout, and I'm not sure what to think of it. Like most American males, I like seeing people* fall from high, wet places and get punched in the face, but I'm not sure how many weeks I can watch the thing. I'm also not happy with the plugged-in comments from the hosts (John Henson and John Anderson) we have to listen to. For every really funny comment there are seven that make you groan. And I wonder if the show will just grow tired after a few weeks.
But there's no denying that there are some wild stunts here. Everytime someone goes sailing off that ramp in the dark or bounces on those giant balls and their body jackknifes and hits the water I'm thinking, these people could easily break their necks. Sure, Survivor has crazy challengs and Fear Factor had nutty stunts, but this stuff seems especially dangerous. And that's why ABC has them sign a 50 page release.
Endemol USA has a pretty solid reality track record, with NBC's Deal or No Deal and 1 vs. 100, CBS's Big Brother and ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. And, according to The Hollywood Reporter, they are hoping to continue that streak into the new year with Wipeout. ABC has ordered a pilot for the competition in which 50 people must navigate through "the world's largest obstacle course" for a chance at $50,000.
While there aren't many details as of yet, I couldn't help but be reminded of G4's Ninja Warrior, in which contestants from the world over have to complete in four rounds of obstacle course. G4 brought it to American from Japan in 2007 where it has become a guilty pleasure addiction for way, way too many of us.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'Bachelorette' Star Kaitlyn Bristowe on Pre-Fantasy Suite Sex: 'I Don't Know Why Everyone is So Shocked'
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Ranking the 13 Most Shocking Tribal Councils from Season 30
- 'The Flash': The 10 Most Villainous Moments of Season 1
- More From BuddyTV
- Fuller House: Olsen Twins Not Returning as Michelle, EP Confirms
- The Good Wife: Matthew Goode Exits Ahead of Season 7
- American Crime Story: Cuba Gooding, Jr. as O.J. Simpson & More Cast Photos
- TVLine Items: Danny Trejo's Dusk Role Revealed, McHale Hosts ESPYS & More
- Humans First Look: AMC Drama Offers Eerie Take on Androids Among Us
- More From TVLine
- Chris Pratt Hilariously Pre-Apologizes for 'Jurassic World' Press Tour
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Aren't Returning for 'Full House' Revival
- Who Runs the World? Beyonce Reminds Us She's the Queen
- Ryan Reynolds Makes a Young Cancer Patient's Wish Come True on 'Deadpool' Set
- Taylor Swift's BFF Karlie Kloss Wants a 'Bad Blood' Movie
- More From ET