Now, two short years and a million articles -- fifty percent of which examined the unlikely relationship between her and Jimmy Kimmel -- later, I'm really starting to get sick of Silverman's act. Why? Because we know what it's going to be. "How offensive can she get? Ooh, let's see her look blankly at the audience and wonder why they're laughing so hard!" That's all there is, and I don't see it getting any deeper.
Last night South Park, in a way only South Park can, managed to mix Family Guy and the recent kerfuffle over cartoons involving the Prophet Muhammed into a scathing indictment of both. In the South Park universe, the "offensive Muhammed cartoon" is an episode of Family Guy which the Fox Network decides to censor. Cartman convinces Kyle to join him on his quest to get the episode off the air. It turns out Cartman doesn't care about the offensive episode, he just really, really, hates Family Guy, calling it poorly-written and accusing it of using interchangeable jokes, rather than jokes that actually have something to do with the plot.
I've said it on this blog and elsewhere that Family Guy's humor can be very jarring at times. Whatever plot there is has to be ground to a halt in order to insert as many one-off gags as possible. There's no effort on behalf of the writers to try and weave jokes into the story, jokes simply pop in and out wherever they seem to fit. In that regard, it's not even comparable to shows like South Park and The Simpsons, which take a more substantive approach to their humor and satire, even if South Park appears to delve into the same scatological humor as Family Guy at times.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments of Emma and Regina's Road Trip From 'Lily'
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- Bruce Jenner's Docuseries Gets Premiere Date, 'Kardashians' Stars Show Support
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- More From BuddyTV
- Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo: I'm 'Excited' for Meredith's Life After Derek
- The Flash Photos: Metahumans Gone Wild! [Spoiler] Versus Reverse-Flash!
- Chicago Fire Scoop: Friday Night Lights Vet to Replace Mills as New Medic
- Ratings: Secrets and Lies Hits Series High, One Week Before Finale
- Vampire Diaries Wedding Photo: First Look at Jo and Alaric's Big Day
- More From TVLine
- Justin Bieber Crashed a High School Prom and the Students Lost Their Minds
- Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed Are Married -- See The Pic!
- Bruce Jenner's Interview Outtakes: 'I'm Trying to Live with Myself'
- Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara Adorably Lip Sync to Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus Songs
- Ellen DeGeneres and Matt Lauer Call a Truce on Their Prank War ...Sorta
- More From ET