Like The Odd Couple's Jack Klugman and Tony Randall singing (and arguing as Oscar and Felix) "You're So Vain." Most of it is sung by Klugman, and it's truly bizarre. [via Bill Corbett]
(Originally aired Dec. 1, 1972)
Since CBS will debut a new, updated version of the classic game show Password this Sunday at 8, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about one of the great episodes of The Odd Couple, appropriately titled "Password." (it's also Jack Klugman's favorite). It's the one where Oscar is asked to go on the game show and he gets to choose his partner. Will he choose Felix, a nut for the show, or his girlfriend, who isn't too, um, bright? The answer after the jump...
But there are a few things missing extras-wise, but we'll get to that in a minute. Overall, how is the second season set of The Odd Couple? Click on the link below for a look.
Welcome to TV Squad Lists (formerly 'The Five'), a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
TV usually gets the writing profession wrong. I've never understood why, since shows and characters are written by writers themselves. Maybe they think they have to dumb it down for the general audience. That's why you have writers like Jessica Fletcher, who just sits down at the typewriter and the words come out fine and she mails it off to her publisher. This happens all the time on television. And have you ever noticed that when you hear the writing that a writer character has done on a show it's almost always terrible? Why is that?
After the jump are six writer characters on TV that were done correctly.
Here's an odd little tidbit I didn't know. The first season of The Odd Couple that was released earlier this year was not released by Paramount. It was actually released by Time-Life (they also did that cool Get Smart set). But now the first season is going to be released again.
Paramount has announced that they too will release the first season of the show on April 24. TVShowsonDVD says that the set will probably be the exact same set as the one released by Time-Life, but there's no official word on it yet.
I'm still waiting for season two to be released! As I've said before, the first season of the show is rather lackluster to me. It's not that funny, and it has a different apartment set and wasn't filmed in front of a live audience. The later seasons are much better, as I think any fan or even crew member on the show would tell you.
"On November 13, Felix Unger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his wife."
Happy Odd Couple Day! Today's the day Odd Couple fans can celebrate the 70s ABC sitcom. How to celebrate? Maybe if you're a really messy guy you can clean the entire apartment today. Vacuum all the rugs, scrub the shower, clean out the fridge and throw away all the old food. And if you're a really neat guy, maybe you can walk around in an old shirt, go one day without sweeping the kitchen floor, or drink beer and leave the cans on the coffee table.
The Odd Couple is one of the best sitcoms of all-time. Smart, well-written, great cast. Except for that odd first season where they had that different apartment and used more cameras and didn't have a studio audience. But after that it took off. Hey, is it even being shown anywhere nowadays? I'd love to watch it again.
[via TV Tattle]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.2 Photos: NFL Star Tony Gonzalez Guest Stars
- 'The Strain' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won Part 2 of the Final HoH Competition?
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Epsode 6 Photos: The Art of the Hair Flip
- 'Big Brother 16' Clip Show Recap: The Final 3 Look Back at the Season
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Upon a Time Drafts Army Wives' Sally Pressman in Season 4
- TVLine's Performers of the Week (tie): Jenna Coleman and Tobias Menzies
- Summer TV's 26 Winners and Losers: True Blood, OITNB, Outlander and More
- NCIS Casts 24 Alum Marisol Nichols as a Blast from DiNozzo's Past
- The Blacklist Season 2 Trailer Teases Red Vs. Berlin Showdown
- More From TVLine
- Luke Bryan Makes a Dying Teenager's Wish Come True
- 'Madam Secretary' Review: A Solid Start for Téa Leoni's Political Drama
- Exclusive Clip: Did 'Angels' Save Woman from Plane Disaster?
- Fall TV Showdown: It's Time to Vote For Your Favorites in the Elite 8!
- Keyshia Cole Arrested in Los Angeles
- More From ET