out of africa
Although TV fans would know him from his role as Will's dad on Will and Grace, he was also, of course, an acclaimed film director, helming such movies as Three Days of the Condor (one of my favorite films), Tootsie, Out of Africa, The Way We Were, The Firm, Havana, Absence of Malice, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Jeremiah Johnson, and The Interpreter. He also directed several TV shows back in the 60s, including The Fugitive, Ben Casey, Bob Hope Presents The Chrysler Theatre, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Defenders, Slattery's People, and many others.
Pollack's other acting roles included spots on The Sopranos, King of the Hill, Frasier, Mad About You, Playhouse 90, and The Twilight Zone, along with the movies Michael Clayton, Eyes Wide Shut, Husbands and Wives, A Civil Action, Death Becomes Her, and The Player. His last acting role was in this year's Made of Honor and his last directing job was 2005's Sketches of Frank Gehry.
Pollack died of cancer this afternoon in Pacific Palisades, CA. He was 73.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- NBC Eyes Modern Brides of Dracula Drama from Greg Berlanti, Glee Vet
- Report: Game of Thrones Snags Borgias Vet for Pivotal Season 6 Role
- Mindy Project Season 4 Photos: Meet the Lahiris (and Mindy's New Man)
- CBS, Gloria Allred Team for Legal Drama Inspired by Firebrand Attorney
- Girl Meets World Reels in Shark Tank's Mark Cuban for Season 2 Guest Spot
- More From TVLine
- How Ellen Page Taught Julianne Moore About the Pains of Being Closeted
- Khloe Kardashian Shares Shocking Waist Training Pic: 'Once You Try It You Will Become Obsessed!'
- Rachel Platten Sings 'Fight Song' With Inspiring 7-Year-Old Cancer Patient
- EXCLUSIVE: Behind-the-Scenes With the 'Code Black' Stars in Medical Boot Camp!
- Kanye West's VMA Speech Re-cut as a Stand-up Comedy Set Works Astonishingly Well
- More From ET