August 29, 2015
outstanding lead actress in a drama
by Joel Keller, posted Aug 22nd 2010 4:30PM
With the Emmy awards a week away, I'm continuing to pick who I think should and who I think will win the major awards.
On Friday, I discussed the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category. Now come the categories for lead actress and actor, starting with the six worthy nominees for Lead Actress in a Drama.
Connie Britton, 'Friday Night Lights'
Glenn Close, 'Damages'
Mariska Hargitay, 'Law & Order: SVU'
January Jones, 'Mad Men'
Julianna Margulies, 'The Good Wife'
Kyra Sedgwick, 'The Closer'
Who will win: The temptation here is to say that one of the previous winners, such as Hargitay or Close, will take the award because of the Academy's lack of creativity with their picks. But Margulies is a known quantity -- she's been nominated six times for 'ER,' both in the lead and supporting categories, winning after the show's first season -- and 'The Good Wife' was widely-watched enough to make me think that she may get the award this year. She carried the first year hit on her shoulders and did a great job playing the wounded but resilient Alicia Florrick.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Alison Brie and Cast of Teachers Preview 'Shocking' TV Land Comedy
- Downton Abbey Trailer Tees Up Bittersweet Final Season
- Elementary Casts Shohreh Aghdashloo as Papa Holmes' Associate
- Blunt Talk Sneak Peek: Harry Chandler, Reluctant Porn Star?
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Frank Dillane
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Khloe Kardashian Spills on Fireworks Fiasco at Boyfriend's Yacht Party: 'No One Would Just Take That Risk'
- 11 Most Daring Celebrity Swimsuit Moments of the Summer
- EXCLUSIVE: Kris Jenner Sets the Story Straight on Her Kids' Rumors — And Why She Fell Asleep on Kanye West!
- Josh Duggar's Sister Jessa Speaks at Southern Women's Show, Opens Up About Her Home Life
- One Direction's Liam Payne Turns 22! Look Back at 7 of His Hottest Moments
- More From ET