April 23, 2014
outstanding lead actress in a drama
by Joel Keller, posted Aug 22nd 2010 4:30PM
With the Emmy awards a week away, I'm continuing to pick who I think should and who I think will win the major awards.
On Friday, I discussed the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category. Now come the categories for lead actress and actor, starting with the six worthy nominees for Lead Actress in a Drama.
Connie Britton, 'Friday Night Lights'
Glenn Close, 'Damages'
Mariska Hargitay, 'Law & Order: SVU'
January Jones, 'Mad Men'
Julianna Margulies, 'The Good Wife'
Kyra Sedgwick, 'The Closer'
Who will win: The temptation here is to say that one of the previous winners, such as Hargitay or Close, will take the award because of the Academy's lack of creativity with their picks. But Margulies is a known quantity -- she's been nominated six times for 'ER,' both in the lead and supporting categories, winning after the show's first season -- and 'The Good Wife' was widely-watched enough to make me think that she may get the award this year. She carried the first year hit on her shoulders and did a great job playing the wounded but resilient Alicia Florrick.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- What to Watch Wednesday: Modern Family Down Under, Nashville in Concert, Survivor and More
- American Idol Exclusive: Top 6 Song Spoilers!
- Did You Fall For MTV's Faking It?
- The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get Cut This Week? [Updated]
- Glee Recap: 'Tonight, You Are a Star'
- More From TVLine
- First Look At Chloe Moretz and Denzel Washington In 'The Equalizer'
- Brad Pitt and Brett Ratner Enter Low-Budget Horror World With '3 Videotapes'
- Has Nicki Ever Been 'The Other Woman'? Lance Bass Gets the Dirt
- 5 Seconds of Summer Remember Their Big Break
- Is Tori Spelling Sharing Too Much About Husband's Cheating?
- More From ET