May 28, 2015
outstanding lead actress in a drama
by Joel Keller, posted Aug 22nd 2010 4:30PM
With the Emmy awards a week away, I'm continuing to pick who I think should and who I think will win the major awards.
On Friday, I discussed the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy category. Now come the categories for lead actress and actor, starting with the six worthy nominees for Lead Actress in a Drama.
Connie Britton, 'Friday Night Lights'
Glenn Close, 'Damages'
Mariska Hargitay, 'Law & Order: SVU'
January Jones, 'Mad Men'
Julianna Margulies, 'The Good Wife'
Kyra Sedgwick, 'The Closer'
Who will win: The temptation here is to say that one of the previous winners, such as Hargitay or Close, will take the award because of the Academy's lack of creativity with their picks. But Margulies is a known quantity -- she's been nominated six times for 'ER,' both in the lead and supporting categories, winning after the show's first season -- and 'The Good Wife' was widely-watched enough to make me think that she may get the award this year. She carried the first year hit on her shoulders and did a great job playing the wounded but resilient Alicia Florrick.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Needy Briefcase Family Once Featured on TLC's Outrageous Parties (Video)
- Gotham Season 2: Nicholas D'Agosto Promoted to Series Regular
- Cheerleader Death Squad: CW Drama Could Live On In 'Different Form'
- Grease: Live Adds Keke Palmer as Marty
- TVLine Items: Hulu Drops Duggars, Urban Cowboy Series and More
- More From TVLine
- Taylor Swift Has Lunch With Her Boys Calvin Harris & Ed Sheeran in Sexy Overalls Look
- 'Bachelor' Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff Call Off Their Engagement
- The 11 Greatest Ways That Disaster Movies Have Tried to Destroy the World
- Happy National Burger Day! Chow Down With Your Fave Fast Food-Loving Celebs
- Lori Loughlin Joins the Cast of 'Fuller House'
- More From ET