Taking an airplane never looked so good.
'Pan Am,' slated to start in the fall, follows a group of young flight attendants who sign on to the "new" luxury airline in the hopes of making a change in their lives. The passengers and crew face a voyage whose landscape is shaped by romance, a volatile 1960s society and yes, even undercover espionage.
Starring Margot Robbie ('Neighbours'), Kelli Garner ('My Generation'), Karine Vanasse ('Polytechnique') and movie star Christina Ricci as the flight attendants, there is no shortage of sexiness in the sky. But that sexiness is not easily found, according to Ricci.
This is designed to get you excited for some new shows ... and to warn you to curb your enthusiasm for others. Just keep in mind that we'll have full reviews of the final pilots closer to airdate, in the fall or midseason. For now, here are our snap judgments of all of ABC's new shows for the 2011-2012 TV season.
There are 12 shows total -- the good ('Good Christian Belles'), the bad ('Charlie's Angels') and the ugly men dressed as women (cross-dressing comedy 'Work It') -- and plenty of varying opinions from Mo Ryan, Maggie Furlong, Jean Bentley, Chris Harnick, Kim Potts and Alexis Moore.
Here's how we're breaking these down:
Watch It - awesome show, can't wait for more
Skip It - it's either horrible or just totally not their thing
DVR It - there's potential, will give it a second chance
Get your first look at the new shows including the 'Charlie's Angels' reboot, fairytale-themed 'Once Upon a Time,' Christina Ricci's first series regular role with 'Pan Am' and Tim Allen's return to sitcoms, 'Last Man Standing.'
Be on the lookout for veteran TV faces such as Teri Polo, Krysten Ritter, Ginnifer Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Emily Van Camp and more.
ABC did not release trailers for highly-anticipated shows 'Good Christian Belles' and 'Missing.'
For more information on ABC's new fall schedule, including which night your favorite show will air, check out our post here.
Watch the videos after the jump.
New series 'Apartment 23,' 'Good Christian Belles,' 'Man Up,' 'Missing,' 'The River' and 'Scandal' are all being held until mid-season, as are returning shows 'Cougar Town' and 'Secret Millionaire.'
'Charlie's Angels' nabbed the prime Thursdays at 8PM slot, while 'Extreme Makeover Home Edition' is moving from Sunday nights to Fridays to make room for new series 'Once Upon a Time' at 8PM, with 'Pan Am' debuting in the 10PM slot.
Check out the full fall schedule below.
The Tim Allen series, now called 'Last Man Standing' comes from '30 Rock' writer Jack Burditt. The official tagline: "Even though the world around him has declared the traditional male an 'endangered species,' Tim Fitzgerald is fighting for his manhood in a world that is being increasingly dominated by women."
'Apt. 23' (formerly 'Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23') tells the story of a young woman who moves to the big city and ends up with a hard-partying roommate. Dreama Walker and Krysten Ritter star.
Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor and Annie Ilonzeh star in the 'Charlie's Angels' reboot.
According to Deadline Hollywood, the 'Dharma and Greg' star will play Julia, a single mom of two. Julia's mother did the majority of raising the kids, but when grandma decides she wants her life back, Julia has to raise her kids alone.
Sharon Horgan, a British actress and writer, created the series and will executive produce the pilot.
In other casting news ...
• Christina Ricci is in talks to join 'Pan Am.' The 1960s-set soap follows pilots and flight attendants at the once-prominent airline. Ricci recently popped up on 'Saving Grace' and had a guest arc on 'Grey's Anatomy.' [Hollywood Reporter]
• 'V' star Morena Baccarin is heading to 'The Mentalist.' Baccarin will play Erica Flynn, a matchmaker. The character is "attractive and sexy woman who seems as warm-hearted, sincere, and intelligent as she is lovely." [Entertainment Weekly]
• 'Party Down' star Ryan Hansen has joined the cast of 'Lovelines.' Hansen, who has another romantic comedy at NBC called 'Friends With Benefits' that has yet to air, will play Tim, a professor who isn't quite honest with his girlfriend. The pilot is in second position behind 'Friends With Benefits.' [Deadline Hollywood]
All in all, I'm getting hooked on Swingtown. It's a soap, no doubt about that. Being in 1976 is a time and a place and a specific social setting, but ultimately this show is about these characters and their intertwined lives. It's a serialized drama and rather addictive. More about the show after the jump, including all the happenings from tonight's show.
"I didn't think you had it in you. And I mean that." - Roger, trying to "compliment" Pete on an ad campaign
Last week I told you that I thought that one of the themes of this show is freedom, and I think in the opening scene of this week's episode solidifies that a little bit more. It's a shot of the neighbors prized birds flying off from the coop, though they return when he has food in his hand. I get that feeling that all the characters are looking for that freedom, or at least a change. Betty wants to go back to modeling, Don might want a new job, and Pete wants Peggy. Maybe. Kinda.
This week's episode was also directed by Freak and Greeks creator/producer/writer Paul Feig, and that makes me perk up a bit. I'm curious to see what he does with a show like Mad Men.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'The Judges Decide'
- 'Game of Thrones' at Comic-Con: 9 New Stars Cast in Season 5
- 'The Walking Dead' at Comic-Con 2014: Season 5 Premiere Date and Trailer
- 'iZombie' at Comic-Con 2014: It's More 'Buffy' Than 'Veronica Mars' and 6 More Things to Know
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Are the Week 5 Nominees?
- More From BuddyTV
- Mary-Louise Parker, Peter Sarsgaard Board NBC Miniseries The Slap
- Teen Wolf's Midseason Trailer Previews Death, Danger and Shirtlessness
- Game of Thrones Adds Jonathan Pryce, Deep Space Nine Alum and More, Casts Sand Snakes for Season 5
- Bones @ Comic-Con: Booth Behind Bars, Remembering Pops and a Return — Plus: Watch the Season 10 Trailer
- The Walking Dead @ Comic-Con: Season 5 Premiere Date Revealed — Watch Explosive First Trailer
- More From TVLine