peoples choice awards
New Directions and Co. snagged a nomination for favorite network TV comedy and in several of the People's Choice TV acting categories: Chris Colfer and Cory Monteith for favorite TV comedy actor, Jane Lynch and Lea Michele for favorite TV comedy actress and Gwyneth Paltrow and Kristin Chenoweth for favorite TV guest star.
The CW's hit drama, 'The Vampire Diaries' was close behind, with four total nominations, for favorite network TV drama, favorite scf-fi/fantasy show, Ian Somerhalder for favorite TV drama actor and Nina Dobrev for favorite TV drama actress.
Read the rest of the nominees after the jump.
This year the TV categories cover everything from the best in shows and actors, to favorite TV families, doctors, talk show hosts, obsessions, chefs and even guilty pleasures. You can see a list of all the nominees here.
As the People's Choice honors the best in television, movies and music, you'll find even more coverage at our sister site, Moviefone. Check out their photo gallery of all the gorgeous styles as the stars made their way into the Nokia Theatre for the big night. And you won't want to miss Moviefone's results analysis either, to see which movies and film stars are the 'People's Choice.'
'Grey's Anatomy' picked up quite a few nominations, specifically in the favorite TV doctor category. 'Glee' grabbed nominations in the comedy acting category and guest stars. 'Gossip Girl' also leads TV veterans with several noms in the drama category.
The biggest surprise? Fox's struggling 'Running Wilde' picked up a nomination in the new comedy category ... but then again, so did every new comedy this season.
Check out the full list of nominees below, then head over to the People's Choice site to vote. The awards air Wed. Jan. 5 at 9PM ET on CBS.
What's Hot on Inside Movies: Cozy Up to Michael Cera, Andy Serkis Riddles 'Batman,' James Franco Reaches New Heights
Think you know Michael Cera? Check out this fact sheet that gives you the low-down on young Hollywood's funniest Canadian by far.
Check out a People's Choice Awards Winners after the jump.
I know that you're a big diva, and that you like being a big diva and will do just anything to keep that persona going. But it just seems to me that if you're going to an awards show where you might possibly be walking onstage to accept an award, you should have a dress and shoes you can walk in.
Maybe you like having hubby Nick Cannon help you onstage, like he did at last night's People's Choice Awards. Maybe he likes it. Maybe it helps the whole diva thing -- "ooh, I can't even move without someone helping me." But it's not really doing much for your image. Come to think of it, neither is your drunk speech at the Palm Springs International Film Festival Awards a couple of nights ago.
- At 7, ESPN has The GMAC Bowl, Central Michigan vs. Troy.
- At 8, ABC has two new episodes of The Middle, followed by new episodes of Modern Family, Cougar Town, and Ugly Betty.
- CBS has a new I Get That A Lot at 8, then The People's Choice Awards.
- NBC has a new Mercy at 8, followed by new episodes of Law and Order: SVU and The Jay Leno Show.
- PBS has a new episode of The Human Spark at 8, then a new episode of The Emotional Life.
- At 9, DirectTV 101 has a new Friday Night Lights.
- Discovery has a new Man vs. Wild at 9.
- Syfy has a new Ghost Hunters International at 9.
- Showtime has a new Inside The NFL at 9.
- At 9:30, A&E has a new Dog The Bounty Hunter, followed by a new Steven Seagal: Lawman.
- At 10, FX has a new Nip/Tuck.
- MTV has a new Real World at 10.
- Bravo has a new Launch My Line at 10.
Check your local TV listings for more.
After the jump, the late night talk shows.
Yes, according to none other than Jeff Probst himself, 'Survivor' will be airing a special sneak preview of its upcoming 20th season, 'Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains,' during tomorrow's 'People's Choice Awards' broadcast. Probst broke the news via his new twitter feed, opting to forgo his usual communication methods of tree-mail and hand scrawled messages floated out to sea inside an old bottle.
The HBO series picked up a nod for favorite TV obsession, and star Anna Paquin has been placed in the drama actress category. The gothic show has also been nominated as a sci-fi/fantasy favorite, along with fellow undead series (and best new TV drama nominee) 'The Vampire Diaries.' (The blood lust doesn't end there: Showtime's serial killer series 'Dexter' was also nominated as favorite TV obsession, and don't get us started on all the backstabbing that goes on with fellow obsessions 'Gossip Girl' and 'The Hills.')
Others who made the new TV drama short list include the just-canceled 'Eastwick,' 'FlashForward' and 'The Good Wife', while critical and cult hits 'Modern Family' and 'Glee' will be going up against each other (and the just-canceled 'Hank') for favorite new comedy.
Queen Latifah is hosting the event, which will be broadcast live on CBS Jan. 6. Vote for your favorites here, and check out the full list of TV nominees after the jump.
In the Favorite TV Comedy category, Gary Unmarried is nominated along with shows like 30 Rock, The Office, Chuck, and How I Met Your Mother. In the Favorite TV Comedy Actor category, David Spade is nominated.
- At 8, NBC has a new Knight Rider.
- PBS has a new Great Performances at 8.
- The CW has the series premiere of 13: Fear Is Real at 8.
- At 9, ABC has a new 20/20, followed by Barbara Walters Special: Patrick Swayze.
- CBS has The People's Choice Awards at 9.
- Sci-Fi has a new Ghost Hunters International at 9.
- Fine Living has a new Whatever, Martha at 9.
- Showtime has a new Inside the NFL at 9.
- Also at 9: Sundance has a new Spectacle.
- At 10, NBC has a new Law and Order.
- TBS has the series premiere of Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns at 10 (two episodes).
- FX has the season premiere of Damages at 10.
- There's a new Top Chef on Bravo at 10.
- MTV has the season premiere of Real World: Brooklyn at 10.
Check your local TV listings for more.
After the jump, the late night talk shows.
The People's Choice Award nominees have been announced, and the list is the very definition of unexciting. The nominees for Best Drama are Grey's Anatomy, CSI, and House. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No Mad Men, Dexter, or Lost? The nominees for Favorite Comedy are Two and a Half Men, Samantha Who?, and Ugly Betty. No 30 Rock? No Office? Sally Field and Mariska Hargitay are up for Favorite Female TV Star (really?). In the Favorite Game Show category, Jeopardy! is up against Deal Or No Deal and Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader and I know it's not going to win.
Contestants had one minute to give a video pitch for their spinoff. The first finalist is The Halftime Show, a spinoff of Friday Night Lights that focuses on the people who play in the school bands that perform at football halftime shows. Married...with Children, 10 Years Later (I think that's the name of it anyway) has Al no longer married but becoming rich and starting to date again. The East Wing is a spinoff of The West Wing, and centers on the goings-on with The First Lady (estranged from her husband) and her staff.
Lots of spinoffs sputter and die (Joanie Loves Chachi, anyone?) while some actually go on to long, healthy careers (Frasier).
Now The People's Choice Awards and the New York Television Festival want to hear your ideas for spinoff shows. You could win an all-expenses paid trip to New York City and be the official "People's Choice Ambassador" at the 2008 NYTF. The winner will also get to pitch his spinoff idea to a New York talent agency -- so make it good.
The contest (you have to send a video pitch to the site above) starts on July 21 and ends on August 8.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Falling Skies' Interviews: The Finale Is 'Pretty Wild' and 'It's Not an Unhappy Ending'
- [Video] 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Kicks Off with Wedding
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 6 Power of Veto?
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 5
- 'The Bachelorette' Where Are They Now?: A Relationship Status Update
- More From BuddyTV
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Big Bang, Arrow, Bates, Sleepy, Castle, Twin Peaks, UnREAL, Gotham, Dome and More
- Hannibal Recap: Stop Dragon Her Heart Around
- Downton Abbey Boss, Cast on Movie Hopes, Unexpected Season 6 Renewal
- Ratings: Descendants Makes a Bigger Splash Than Teen Beach 2
- Game of Thrones Casts Ian McShane in Season 6 Mystery Role
- More From TVLine
- Prince William & Queen Elizabeth Look Regal in Newly Released Portraits
- 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation' Scores Highest Opening Numbers in Franchise History
- Dave Grohl Responds After 1,000 Musicians Play Foo Fighters Song in Unison, Plus 5 More Reasons Why He's Awesome
- Valerie Harper Replaced in 'Nice Work If You Can Get It' Following Hospital Stay
- Channing Tatum Closes Deal to Star in 'Gambit' Despite Rumors
- More From ET