philip baker hall
['Modern Family' - 'Boys' Night']
You've got to love a show that takes a big star and integrates that person into its rotating family of guest players. 'Glee' has done that with Gwyneth Paltrow, and it seems that 'Modern Family' has done that with Nathan Lane.
How else can you explain his appearance as Pepper this week, appearing without fanfare and without any of the plot revolving around him (at least until the end... more on that later)? We knew that Lane was coming back, but what we didn't know was going to happen was that we would see him as just one of Mitch's and Cam's buddies, out for a night of absinthe-laden fruity drinks and randy conversation?
Anyway, tonight's episode was solid, mainly because we saw some characters out of their comfort zones, but also because an episode with both Nathan Lane and Philip Baker Hall in it is bound to be pretty good.
Here's the schedule:
Tuesdays, June 5, 12 @ 8:30 pm
Sundays, June 10, 17, 24 & July 1 @ 8:30 pm & 9:30 pm
Personally, I'd lose track of those if I didn't have a TiVo or some sort of DVR to record all the episodes. Once The Loop is over, you can see star Bret Harrison playing the lead role in The CW's new drama, Reaper.
We've talked about the FOX comedy The Loop several times on this blog. I didn't care much for the show. It had some good points and a ton of potential, but it just wasn't funny. I know, I know, there are many of you who disagree with me and will let me know in the comments below (as you have in the past), and I guess this news is for you people.
The show is coming to DVD on March 6. It's the first (and so far only) season of the show, all 7 episodes. The show will be in "Anamorphic Widescreen." I'm not sure, but I think that means it's going to be close-captioned.
This brings up a good point though: what happened to this show? Was it "officially" canceled or just put on "hiatus," that netherworld where shows go to die? It just seemed to be there one moment and then just not around anymore. Sorta like Stacked.
Update: The Loop lives! The second season premieres later this year.
I guess I'm just shocked. Even if The Loop was better than it is (and it isn't), I would still be surprised it got renewed, because it had "short-lived midseason replacment that you will soon forget" written all over it.
So I'm not going to review tonight's episode. If one of my coworkers wants to jump in and take over the reviews, that's cool. But I'd rather spend my time doing something more productive. Like my laundry.
I'm sorry, but this show is just stupid.
Anything happen on the show last night? Did it suddenly become hysterical and brilliant? Was it canceled and replaced by reruns of Stacked?
But here's my prediction: it won't last the season.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 5
- 'The Bachelorette' Where Are They Now?: A Relationship Status Update
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Are the Week 6 Nominees?
- 'The Originals' Interview: Danielle Campbell Teases Davina in Her Role as Regent
- Why 'BoJack Horseman' Is the Best Netflix Original You're Not Watching
- More From BuddyTV
- Degrassi Series Finale Recap: Indecent Promposals
- American Crime Adds André Benjamin in 'Fierce' Season 2 Role
- Descendants Stars on Twist Ending, Sequel Ideas: 'Mal's Story Isn't Over'
- Fear The Walking Dead: Full-On Zombie Outbreak 'Delayed' Until Season 2
- 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Dead at 61
- More From TVLine
- Kevin Bacon and Jimmy Fallon Perfectly Channel The Beach Boys in Spot-On Parody
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Family Gathers for Wake, Prepares for Memorial Service
- Lena Dunham Poses Topless With Her Dog for National Mutt Day
- Demi Lovato's Moving Tribute to Dog: 'This Has Been the Most Painful Week of My Life'
- Chris Pratt Offers Fans a Potential Dinner at Applebee's in New Facebook Contest
- More From ET