One of the great things about Monk is how its protagonist is able to solve crimes that seem to have airtight alibis. Granted, sometimes the solutions are a bit far-fetched, but that's part of the show's charm.
Last night's episode focused on a famous astronaut who Monk is convinced murdered a woman he had an affair with five years ago. The only problem is, the astronaut was in outer space when the murder (made to look like a suicide by hanging) took place. The astronaut is cool, confident, calm under pressure, everything Adrian Monk isn't. Monk's constituents in the police department are awestruck by the famous man, and can't believe Monk's theory that somehow he was able to commit a murder while floating around deep space.
A lot of times, Monk focuses hard on Monk's phobias, but once in a while an episode will peel back a few more layers. The "murder mystery" aspect of the episode was intriguing as always, but what was really interesting was how Monk was forced to deal with someone whom he felt inferior to, and by doing so had to summon up whatever small amount of courage he had within him. When he chases down a jet plane, stands in front of it, and refuses to move when several rifles are pointed at him, he proves to himself he's not the "muss" (a word he made up combining "man" and "wuss") he thought he was. Monk works best when it's able to combine the quirky with the serious. Last night's episode was the best I've seen in awhile.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Ratings: Battle Creek Flat With Series Finale, NASCAR Dominates Night
- American Horror Story: Hotel's Latest Guest: New Girl's Max Greenfield
- Once's Merlin, Empire's Own Iggy, Arrow's Darhk Foe and 26 More Homes for Stars of Cancelled Shows
- GoT Recap: Royally Screwed
- Anne Meara, Actress/Comedian and Half of Stiller & Meara, Dead at 85
- More From TVLine
- Michael B. Jordan on Racist Reactions to 'Fantastic Four' Casting: 'This Is the World We Live In'
- Kylie Jenner Struggles with Opening Up to Family: 'I Go Through These Times Where I Hate My Life'
- 'Newsroom' Star Alison Pill Marries Joshua Leonard -- See the Pretty Pics!
- Star Sightings May 2015
- Jessa Duggar's Father-In-Law Encourages Josh Duggar: 'Hang In There'
- More From ET