In2TV recently added a Looney Tunes channel to its ever-growing collection of TV shows. My first thought was, "hey, that's pretty awesome." I mean, it is awesome. There's a whole bunch of great shorts to pick from, including the very first appearances of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. This is another chance for people to see these cartoons, and that's a good thing.
However, as someone who adores these old classics, I have to say there are better ways to view these cartoons. Refrederator is an excellent video podcast that features a ton of old cartoons from Warner Bros. and other studios that you can download, and it's always worth digging through Archive.org for public domain cartoons that can also be downloaded to your computer.
While each of the Looney Tunes characters had their own personality, even those personalities would differ depending on which era the cartoon was made, and who was directing. Porky Pig, for example, was often portrayed as the neurotic foil, but in later cartoons with Daffy Duck he was often the calm voice of reason. Daffy also differed greatly in personality from his early days under the supervision of Bob Clampett when he truly lived up to the name "daffy" to his eventual evolution into the selfish but lovable duck most people know him as today. Trying to keep these two sides of Daffy's psyche in mind, I've come up with five of what I think are his best shorts:
Duck Amuck (1953): "And on this farm he had an igloo...." This was one of my favorite cartoons growing up, and still is today. Daffy finds himself at the mercy of an unseen director who erases and paints in new scenery, erases Daffy himself, and even messes with the music soundtrack and Daffy's own voice. Al the while Daffy tries to reason with him, but to no avail. In the end it's revealed that the man with the magic pencil and paintbrush is actually Bugs Bunny.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Strain' Recap: Nightmare Symptoms and Bad Parenting
- 'True Blood' Recap: Has Sookie Sentenced Bill to the True Death?
- 'Rising Star' Recap: Who's in the Round of 13?
- 'The Leftovers' Recap: Remembering Gladys
- 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' Recap: Don't Call Nicole a Homewrecker
- More From BuddyTV
- Sarah Palin Launches Online TV Network Called The 'Sarah Palin Channel'
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' Cast Gets Creepy & Crazy In New Poster Series
- 'Lucy' Knocks Out 'Hercules' To Dominate The Weekend Box Office
- 6 Beyonce Pictures That Will Make You Want to Take A Break
- 22 People Hospitalized at Keith Urban Concert
- More From ET