public broadcasting system
General Motors has made a lot of dumb decisions in their day, and three-quarters of them are still being sold to gullible car-buyers across the globe.
However, one of their biggest, boneheaded moves doesn't involve a car at all. The soon-to-be-former car manufacturing giant has announced that it's ending its 22-year run as primary sponsor for PBS filmmaker Ken Burns, and it just might end Burns' career in television as we know it.
PBS is getting into the coffee game by joining with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and creating the PBS Blend. The coffee will be organic, and will be "offered in whole bean, 10 oz. packages, and single serve K-cups for use in Keurig Single-Cup brewers."
But the PBS ombudsman column above raises an interesting question: how can PBS get into the for-profit business of selling coffee and other commercial endeavors and still get taxpayer support? Whatever side you happen to fall on, the column probably answers any questions you might have and is well worth reading.
I wonder if they'll do it for certain shows. Maybe a Sesame Street Hazelnut or a Bill Moyers Vanilla Bean. Though I don't really want to know what a McLaughlin Group-flavored coffee would taste like.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Wayward Pines' Interview: M. Night Shyamalan on Shocking Death and Darker Turn
- 'The Bachelor' Season 11 Week 2 Photos: Punchlines and Punches
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Ranking the 13 Most Shocking Tribal Councils from Season 30
- 'The Flash': The 10 Most Villainous Moments of Season 1
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Danny Trejo's Dusk Role Revealed, McHale Hosts ESPYS & More
- Humans First Look: AMC Drama Offers Eerie Take on Androids Among Us
- The Bastard Executioner: Kurt Sutter's SOA Follow-Up Gets Series Order at FX
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: Katie Holmes Teases Her 'Powerful' New Role in 'Ray Donovan' Season 3
- TLC Pulls '19 Kids and Counting' in Wake of Josh Duggar Child Molestation Admission
- Gordon Ramsay Called Someone an 'Idiot Sandwich' and It's the Best Thing to Ever Happen to the Internet
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Janel Parrish Teases 'Disturbing' Dollhouse 'Torture': 'It's Like 'Saw'!'
- EXCLUSIVE: Mama June Shannon Reacts to TLC Pulling '19 Kids and Counting': 'I Feel Cheated Still!'
- More From ET