public broadcasting system
General Motors has made a lot of dumb decisions in their day, and three-quarters of them are still being sold to gullible car-buyers across the globe.
However, one of their biggest, boneheaded moves doesn't involve a car at all. The soon-to-be-former car manufacturing giant has announced that it's ending its 22-year run as primary sponsor for PBS filmmaker Ken Burns, and it just might end Burns' career in television as we know it.
PBS is getting into the coffee game by joining with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and creating the PBS Blend. The coffee will be organic, and will be "offered in whole bean, 10 oz. packages, and single serve K-cups for use in Keurig Single-Cup brewers."
But the PBS ombudsman column above raises an interesting question: how can PBS get into the for-profit business of selling coffee and other commercial endeavors and still get taxpayer support? Whatever side you happen to fall on, the column probably answers any questions you might have and is well worth reading.
I wonder if they'll do it for certain shows. Maybe a Sesame Street Hazelnut or a Bill Moyers Vanilla Bean. Though I don't really want to know what a McLaughlin Group-flavored coffee would taste like.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Final Rose: Josh and Andi's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Phaedra Parks Taking Time Off from Filming 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'
- [Video] 'Covert Affairs' Exclusive: Uncovering Secrets
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 5 Photo Booth Gallery
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: Confronting Nick and Fantasy Suite Sex
- More From BuddyTV
- Sex and the City's Ron Livingston Cast as Paul Revere in AMC Comedy Pilot
- Emmys 2014: Who Should Win Lead Actress in a Drama? Take Our Poll!
- Ratings: Ninja Warrior Hits 2-Year High Vs. All-Time Low Bachelorette Finale
- Castle's Molly Quinn Talks Teary Finale, the Alexis-Kate Tension That Follows
- First Look: Hot in Cleveland's Elka Makes Like Wonka in Animated Outing
- More From TVLine
- Martha Stewart on Blake Lively's New Lifestyle Blog: 'I Mean, It's Stupid'
- Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett's Jazz Album Gets a Release Date
- What Baby Bump? Zoe Saldana Nude For Women's Health UK
- Ariana Grande On Her Late Grandpa and Falling Out of Touch With Her Dad
- 'Fifty Shades' Trailer Sets a 2014 Record
- More From ET