July 2, 2015
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 8th 2010 7:38AM
There was a great industry joke lobbed at the Hollywood awards machine by the short-lived but loved TV cartoon 'The Critic.' The joke featured a Midwestern farmer and his boy spotting a plane headed to Hollywood.
"Yep, son," the wide-eyed farm says with a big pitchfork in his all-American paw, "on that plane are the people who fill our lives with blockbuster movies, moronic situation comedies, awards shows where awards shows win awards. Get my gun, boy."
If the 82nd Academy Awards takes home an Emmy or even a nomination for their television broadcast, just about every middle American farmer with a sidearm will land on a terror alert watch list and every first class flight from New York to Hollywood will have to divert over the Gulf of Mexico in order to avoid the inevitable strafe of gunfire from America's heartland.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Sleepy Hollow Wants 'Angelina Jolie' to Play Ichabod's Old Flame Betsy Ross
- Ratings: Extant Returns to Series Lows
- Fall TV: Heroes vs. Big Bang vs. Greys, and Thursday's Other DVR Dilemmas
- Wet Hot American Summer: See the Star-Packed (NSFW) Trailer & Poster
- Sesame Street Vet 'Maria' to Exit
- More From TVLine
- They Don't Age! Bradley Cooper and Co-Stars Have Never Looked Younger in New 'Wet Hot American Summer' Trailer
- Robin Thicke Says He's Embarrassed By Attempts to Get Paula Patton Back
- Amy Winehouse Documentary Is Both Heartbreaking and Hilarious
- Emma Roberts' 'Top Secret Project' Revealed!
- Donald Trump's Miss USA Pageant Will Air on REELZ
- More From ET