September 18, 2014
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 8th 2010 7:38AM
There was a great industry joke lobbed at the Hollywood awards machine by the short-lived but loved TV cartoon 'The Critic.' The joke featured a Midwestern farmer and his boy spotting a plane headed to Hollywood.
"Yep, son," the wide-eyed farm says with a big pitchfork in his all-American paw, "on that plane are the people who fill our lives with blockbuster movies, moronic situation comedies, awards shows where awards shows win awards. Get my gun, boy."
If the 82nd Academy Awards takes home an Emmy or even a nomination for their television broadcast, just about every middle American farmer with a sidearm will land on a terror alert watch list and every first class flight from New York to Hollywood will have to divert over the Gulf of Mexico in order to avoid the inevitable strafe of gunfire from America's heartland.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Moments: Jax's Path of Retribution
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.2 Photos: All About Dr. Maggie Pierce
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur -- Blood vs. Water' Premiere Photos
- 'Extant' Season 1 Finale Recap: Everything is at Stake
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won Part 1 of the Final HoH Competition?
- More From BuddyTV
- Extant Finale Recap: This Boy Is on Fire
- The Mysteries of Laura: Will You Remain on Debra Messing's Case?
- Red Band Society Premiere Recap: Are These Kids All Right?
- Big Brother Recap: Four the Win
- Idol Judges on Season 14: J.Lo Wants Less Cruelty, Adam Lambert Seeks Artistry, Harry Flinches at 'Geek' Label
- More From TVLine
- Adam Lambert Talks J.Lo Love and Guest Judging on 'Idol'
- Revealing Details from the 'Dating Naked' 'Commitment Ceremony'
- Talk Show Confessions: Why Are TV's Top Hosts Getting So Honest?
- Here's the 'Breaking Bad' Reference You Definitely Missed in 'Godzilla'
- Trust Us, You Need to Watch This Cheesecake Factory Parody of Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy'
- More From ET