April 18, 2014
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 8th 2010 7:38AM
There was a great industry joke lobbed at the Hollywood awards machine by the short-lived but loved TV cartoon 'The Critic.' The joke featured a Midwestern farmer and his boy spotting a plane headed to Hollywood.
"Yep, son," the wide-eyed farm says with a big pitchfork in his all-American paw, "on that plane are the people who fill our lives with blockbuster movies, moronic situation comedies, awards shows where awards shows win awards. Get my gun, boy."
If the 82nd Academy Awards takes home an Emmy or even a nomination for their television broadcast, just about every middle American farmer with a sidearm will land on a terror alert watch list and every first class flight from New York to Hollywood will have to divert over the Gulf of Mexico in order to avoid the inevitable strafe of gunfire from America's heartland.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Revolution' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Reign' Episode 21 Photos: The Madness of King Henry
- 'Reign': 17 Moments of James, Marriage Troubles and Catherine?s Plots from 'No Exit'
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episodes 5.20 and 5.21 Photos: Stelena in Danger
- 'Parenthood' Season 5 Highlights: Break-ups, Breakdowns and Breakthroughs
- More From BuddyTV
- Devious Maids EP Previews Marisol's 'Dark' New Life and More Season 2 Scoop
- Nashville to Host First Lady Michelle Obama
- Lara Spencer Promoted to GMA Co-Anchor
- SNL to Celebrate 40th Anniversary With 3-Hour Live Special in 2015
- Exclusive Degrassi Sneak Peek: Zig and Miles Come to Blows in the Midseason Finale
- More From TVLine
- Exclusive: Lionel Richie Recalls His Amazing Chance Meeting with Marvin Gaye
- How Celeb Seafood Hangouts Reel in the Best Catch
- 'SNL' Star Beck Bennett Dishes Out Tough Love In 'Intramural'
- Angelina Transforms Herself Into 'Maleficent'
- Valerie Harper Sets the Record Straight on False Cancer Report
- More From ET