People enjoy rap, and people enjoy reality television. So: why not combine them?
That seems to be the thought process behind Rapping with the Stars, a new reality series that could be popping up on MTV that, according to Variety, "features teams squaring off in [a] range of rap-oriented musical challenges."
Those "teams" consist of, naturally, a rapper and a celebrity. I wonder, though, how many rap-oriented challenges can there be? Other than freestyle, performing someone else's rap, or doing your own rap, what's left? Is there some kind of rap endurance race in which rappers must perform Run-DMC tunes while sprinting and pole vaulting cross country? Because there should be, I'd totally watch that.
If this show does become as popular as Dancing with the Stars, perhaps we'll start seeing more and more with the Stars-style shows, none of which I will watch.
Fellow rappers Ludacris and 50 Cent have also voiced their discontent with Oprah's lack of hip-hop artists on her show. Oprah was pretty clear with Ludacris, when he was on a year ago for Crash, that she did not approve of his dirty and derogatory lyrics. However, she did defend herself on an NYC radio station after 50 Cent accused her of banning rappers from her show. She said she even has a little 50 Cent on her iPod, and she loves Mary J. Blige, Kanye West, and Jay-Z.
So. Is this just a ploy by these guys to get some face time on Oprah or what?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 22 Episode 10 Photos: The Models Shoot a Music Video
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Brother in the Basement'
- Best 'Grey's Anatomy' Quotes from 'I Choose You'
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from ?Paris Is Burning?
- 'The Amazing Race' Leg 3 Prediction: Which Team Will Go Home Next?
- More From BuddyTV
- Pretty Little Liars @ NY Comic-Con: Season 6B Premiere Date, 'Ezria's Status, Hanna's 'Baby' and More Scoop
- Ratings: HTGAWM Slips Again, Hits Lows for Third Straight Week
- Rowan Blanchard Previews New Movie Invisible Sister — Plus: Watch a Clip
- Banshee's Final Season Gets Premiere Date
- Once Upon a Time Sneak Peek: Regina Makes an Eeeevil Promise to Zelena
- More From TVLine
- John Goodman Debuts Dramatic Weight Loss at London Premiere
- Selena Gomez on Being Fat Shamed: My Bikini Was 'a Little Too Small for Me, But I Didn't Care'
- Rumer Willis Recalls Her 'Awful' Audition for Blake Lively's 'Gossip Girl' Role
- Oprah Shares Thanksgiving Hosting Tips, Including a Cocktail Trick From John Travolta
- Kendall Jenner Poses Topless: I'm Washing Away My Sins
- More From ET