Wow. I think I just saw the worst musical performance I've ever seen on television, not counting local cable.
Hannah Montana (real name: Miley Cyrus) just "sang" her "songs" on Good Morning, America. I have "sang" in quotes because I'm pretty sure she was lip-syncing, and if that's the case and these songs were actually the recorded versions...yikes, I take back everything I've ever said about Ashlee Simpson. And the whole production was bizarre, like the dancing in that Saturday Night Fever sequel directed by Stallone. It was like a bunch of high school students who don't really know what they're doing, trying to dance. Which, actually, it was.
I understand I'm not the demographic for this sort of thing. The tweens in the audience seemed to go nuts over her (and more than a few parents, disturbingly). But I wonder why TV stars, especially young TV stars, feel they have to go into a musical career. Why isn't Hillary Duff happy with being a TV and movie actress? Why does Raven Symone have to start doing pop and rap songs? Why does Miley Cyrus have to suddenly become a pop star? You know it's going to be bad when they start wearing that dark eyeliner stuff to make themselves have that smoldering pop star look.
It seems that everything is being released on DVD these days. Not just shows from the 50s and short-lived shows like The Adventures of Brisco County and Profit and many others. But there are many shows you'll never see on TV, because they're too obscure, don't have enough fan base, wouldn't be worth it financially, and/or just don't have any "buzz" to make it worth releasing by the studio. Now, I've been surprised before. I'm still shocked that Riptide made it to DVD. But I'm pretty confident we won't see the five shows below on DVD. Which is a shame, because they're five of my favorites.
In fact, if any of these shows are released on DVD (whole seasons, not an odd episode thrown on another DVD), I'll run naked through Central Park while eating a chicken salad sandwich and singing the theme song from Fame.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' says goodbye to Katherine: Watch her best moments
- Amy Sedaris joins Jane Krakowski's FOX comedy pilot 'Dead Boss'
- 'The Flash': 'Arrow' spinoff casts Patrick Sabongui as Captain David Singh
- 'Blue Bloods': Killed couple's daughter seeks revenge
- 'Grimm' Season 3: Reggie Lee discusses 'Mommy Dearest' shocker and Wu's first name reveal
- More From Zap2it
- Pilot News: Dave Annable, Chuck Alum and Enlisted Star Are Among the Latest Castings
- Fox Renews New Girl, Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Following
- Pilot Scoop: One Tree Hill's Robert Buckley Returns to The CW in Rob Thomas' iZombie
- HBO Reveals First Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Promo — Watch and Weigh In
- American Idol: What Should the Top 11 Sing for Movie Soundtrack Night?
- More From TVLine