Wow. I think I just saw the worst musical performance I've ever seen on television, not counting local cable.
Hannah Montana (real name: Miley Cyrus) just "sang" her "songs" on Good Morning, America. I have "sang" in quotes because I'm pretty sure she was lip-syncing, and if that's the case and these songs were actually the recorded versions...yikes, I take back everything I've ever said about Ashlee Simpson. And the whole production was bizarre, like the dancing in that Saturday Night Fever sequel directed by Stallone. It was like a bunch of high school students who don't really know what they're doing, trying to dance. Which, actually, it was.
I understand I'm not the demographic for this sort of thing. The tweens in the audience seemed to go nuts over her (and more than a few parents, disturbingly). But I wonder why TV stars, especially young TV stars, feel they have to go into a musical career. Why isn't Hillary Duff happy with being a TV and movie actress? Why does Raven Symone have to start doing pop and rap songs? Why does Miley Cyrus have to suddenly become a pop star? You know it's going to be bad when they start wearing that dark eyeliner stuff to make themselves have that smoldering pop star look.
It seems that everything is being released on DVD these days. Not just shows from the 50s and short-lived shows like The Adventures of Brisco County and Profit and many others. But there are many shows you'll never see on TV, because they're too obscure, don't have enough fan base, wouldn't be worth it financially, and/or just don't have any "buzz" to make it worth releasing by the studio. Now, I've been surprised before. I'm still shocked that Riptide made it to DVD. But I'm pretty confident we won't see the five shows below on DVD. Which is a shame, because they're five of my favorites.
In fact, if any of these shows are released on DVD (whole seasons, not an odd episode thrown on another DVD), I'll run naked through Central Park while eating a chicken salad sandwich and singing the theme song from Fame.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- September 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Extant' Episode 10 Photos: It's a New World
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- Fall 2014 Calendar: 121 Premiere Dates
- More From BuddyTV
- Downton Abbey: First Season 5 Trailer Features Surprise Hookups, Raging Infernos, Exposed Secrets
- Looking Finds Season 2 Gigs for Crossbones Co-Star, Late Night Comic
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Teen Wolf, True Blood, Finding Carter and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Anna Paquin
- Outlander's Sam Heughan on Whether Jamie's the Man to Govern a Clan
- More From TVLine