There have been rumors kicking around for a while that there would be a movie version, (Stevenson talked about the script development in an interview with MovieWeb.com last year), but these are the first concrete details to emerge.
The move to the big screen makes sense. The series was still popular with fans and critics when it was canceled. But it was expensive to produce, which made it a hard series for HBO to commit to. The budget for a couple of episodes was probably similar to the budget for a feature film.
Heller can probably tell the story he wants to tell in one long movie, with less of a financial commitment, and, who know, possibly put himself in position to make more 'Rome' sequels. Which would be great for the series' fans.
There are so many pilots made each fall that I guess CBS didn't want to go with the show about zombies that come back from the dead and have sex with the living.
But that's pretty much what Babylon Fields was about. It starrred Kathy Baker (Picket Fences), Ray Stevenson (Rome), and Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia) and was a drama set in a small town. The dead came back to life and the living had to deal with various problems that ensued (though apparantly erecticle dysfunction wasn't one of them - that must be an odd episode). Oh, and it's also a crime drama, with the sheriff solving crimes each week!
Season two is currently filming at the Cinecitta Studios in Rome and it premieres January 7 on HBO.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'The World Has Turned and Left Me Here'
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4 Premiere: Ranking the Looks of 'Made in Manhattan'
- Halloween Scarefest: Your Guide to Finding the Perfect Spooky TV and Movie Marathon
- 'Constantine' Interview: Angelica Celaya Says Zed Is 'Running Away'
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from 'An Innocent Man'
- More From BuddyTV
- Bob's Burgers Sneak Peek: Tina Tries to Scare Up a Halloween Date
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Video: Terry (and Terry) Learn All About 'Silent Disco'
- Arrow First Look: Charlotte Ross Debuts as Felicity's Smoakin' Mom
- Starz's Magic City Returning as Movie; Bruce Willis, More to Join Original Cast
- More From TVLine
- Beyonce and Blue Ivy Flawlessly Honor the Jacksons on Halloween
- Teresa Giudice's Teen Daughter Releases Scandalous Music Video, But Did It Really Cost $10K?
- Stylish Amal Clooney is Everyone's Favorite Halloween Costume
- J.K. Rowling Celebrates Halloween by Releasing a Wicked, New 'Harry Potter' Story
- Chelsea Handler Slams Instagram for Removing Her Topless Photo
- More From ET