There have been rumors kicking around for a while that there would be a movie version, (Stevenson talked about the script development in an interview with MovieWeb.com last year), but these are the first concrete details to emerge.
The move to the big screen makes sense. The series was still popular with fans and critics when it was canceled. But it was expensive to produce, which made it a hard series for HBO to commit to. The budget for a couple of episodes was probably similar to the budget for a feature film.
Heller can probably tell the story he wants to tell in one long movie, with less of a financial commitment, and, who know, possibly put himself in position to make more 'Rome' sequels. Which would be great for the series' fans.
There are so many pilots made each fall that I guess CBS didn't want to go with the show about zombies that come back from the dead and have sex with the living.
But that's pretty much what Babylon Fields was about. It starrred Kathy Baker (Picket Fences), Ray Stevenson (Rome), and Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia) and was a drama set in a small town. The dead came back to life and the living had to deal with various problems that ensued (though apparantly erecticle dysfunction wasn't one of them - that must be an odd episode). Oh, and it's also a crime drama, with the sheriff solving crimes each week!
Season two is currently filming at the Cinecitta Studios in Rome and it premieres January 7 on HBO.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 10: Meet the Top 20 Dancers
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blogs: James' Cheating Revelation, Love Signs and Teasers
- ?The Bachelorette? Week 5 Photos: Heating Up in the German Alps
- The 11 Biggest Cheaters on Television
- The 30 Best Performances from 'The Voice' Season 4
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Big Brother 15' twist: 3 people will be nominated for eviction, plus a weekly MVP
- 'The Voice' winner talks Season 4 victory
- Cher proves it's a 'Woman's World' with performance on 'The Voice' finale
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Top 20: Meet the contemporary dancers
- 'The Voice' Season 4 winner: Danielle Bradbery, Michelle Chamuel or The Swon Brothers - who won?
- More From Zap2it
- Ratings: The Voice Dips in Demo Opposite NBA Finals, Draws Largest Finale Audience Ever
- Exclusive Photos: Will Defiance's (Very) White Wedding Go Off Without a Hitch?
- Eye on Emmy: Corey Stoll Votes Yea on House of Cards and the Movie-Like Netflix Experience
- Big Brother 15 House and New 'Twists' Revealed
- Fall TV Poll | Wednesday: Arrow Vs. Miles Matheson and Other DVR Dilemmas
- More From TVLine