There have been rumors kicking around for a while that there would be a movie version, (Stevenson talked about the script development in an interview with MovieWeb.com last year), but these are the first concrete details to emerge.
The move to the big screen makes sense. The series was still popular with fans and critics when it was canceled. But it was expensive to produce, which made it a hard series for HBO to commit to. The budget for a couple of episodes was probably similar to the budget for a feature film.
Heller can probably tell the story he wants to tell in one long movie, with less of a financial commitment, and, who know, possibly put himself in position to make more 'Rome' sequels. Which would be great for the series' fans.
There are so many pilots made each fall that I guess CBS didn't want to go with the show about zombies that come back from the dead and have sex with the living.
But that's pretty much what Babylon Fields was about. It starrred Kathy Baker (Picket Fences), Ray Stevenson (Rome), and Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia) and was a drama set in a small town. The dead came back to life and the living had to deal with various problems that ensued (though apparantly erecticle dysfunction wasn't one of them - that must be an odd episode). Oh, and it's also a crime drama, with the sheriff solving crimes each week!
Season two is currently filming at the Cinecitta Studios in Rome and it premieres January 7 on HBO.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 2014 Grammy noms: Miley Cyrus snubbed, Katy Perry and Sara Bareilles face off
- 'Nikita' recap: Birkhoff's secret past (and name) is revealed ... though is it too late?
- Grammys 2014: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis lead the nominations list
- 'Bones' recap: Did McKayla Maroney impress in 'The Spark in the Park'?
- 'Breaking the Faith': Meeting Mormons in Salt Lake City
- More From Zap2it
- Meet the Agents of NCIS: New Orleans — Plus a Few Off-the-Cuff Casting Suggestions
- Pilot News: Bunheads' Sutton Foster to Fudge the Numbers in TV Land Comedy Younger
- Exclusive First Look: Episodes Season 3 Promo Highlights Sean's Very Best Catch-Faces
- Scoop: Fox Cuts Dads Episode Order
- Low Winter Sun Sets at AMC, Low-Rated Drama Cancelled After One Season
- More From TVLine