ren and stimpy
It's hard to believe that the gross, black humor of 'Ren & Stimpy' was able to pass as a children's cartoon, alongside the other first Nicktoons, 'Rugrats' and 'Doug,' but five years on Nickelodeon doesn't lie.
Without 'Ren & Stimpy,' we wouldn't have 'Beavis and Butt-head' or 'South Park,' nor would the 'Log' song get stuck in our heads for days at a time.
Frequently straddling the line between disgusting and fun -- well, actually, make that crossing the line -- there are plenty memorable moments from the series, which was revived on Spike in 2003 to poor reviews and we're just going to pretend that didn't happen. Below, AOL TV relives some of the grossest scenes -- and a couple of just plain fun ones too.
Here's some cool animation news from the past week or so:
First, if you dig the heavy metal sounds of Dethklok, the brutal (but rather stupid) band from the Adult Swim series Metalocalypse, you'll be happy to know the band is doing a tour of some college campuses, according to Toon Zone and Adult Swim HQ. I'll keep you posted as more information becomes available. Other yet-to-be-announced bands will also be touring to promote Adult Swim.
If you didn't get your fill of voice actor Billy West when Joel interviewed him awhile ago, you can listen to an audio interview with the voice actor on the Paul Harris Show by clicking here. West, who, as many of you know, did the voices of a bunch of the characters on Futurama, plus the voice of both Ren and Stimpy during part of that show's run, not to mention a ton of other characters both classic and new. West talks about how he comes up with voices for the characters, and tells a funny story about watching The Diary of Anne Frank because one of the actors, Lou Jacobi, was part of his inspiration for the voice of Zoidberg on Futurama. He also talks about how voice actors often get treated like second class citizens in Hollywoodland. A very funny interview, definitely worth checking out.
[via Mark Evanier]
- The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. - Complete Series
- Amazing Stories - First season
- Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book One: Water, Volume Four
- Carnivale - Second season
- Jack of All Trades - Complete Series
- The Pretender - Fourth season
- Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon - The Lost Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants - Karate Island
- Ultraman - Volume One
John Kricfalusi, the creator of Ren and Stimpy, was one of the first animators to take advantage of the freedom the Web allows with Flash-animated series such as The Goddamn George Liquor Show and Weekend Pussy Hunt. John K has always been extremely opinionated when it comes to animation and the myriad examples of bad animation that are out there, and his new blog is no different. If you're a fan of John K and Spumco, you should check it out. The man has never been afraid to voice his opinion, which I might find annoying if I didn't agree with most of what he says.
One awesome tidbit I found on his blog (and confirmed by TV Shows on DVD) is that the series Ren and Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon will be released on DVD soon. The set is being called the "Lost Episodes." An unofficial release date of November 8 has been set, but that could change. Check out the awesome packaging here, designed by Annmarie Ashkar.
Those were the four reactions I had upon seeing the trailer for the new HDTV program called Billy Bastard, which features the voice talents of Ren and Stimpy and Futurama voice actor Billy West. The show is apparently supposed to be a kind of "reality puppet show" about the titular character, a swearing, drug-using, beer guzzling jerk. You would think combining West with two directors from Ren and Stimpy (Bill Wrayand Jim Gomez) with puppeteers from Team America would result in a really great show, but so far I haven't been floored by what I've seen, though I have cracked up a few times. Maybe my humor switch is stuck today, so I won't pass judgment on the show just yet. Besides, there's too much awesome talent involved for me to dismiss it before actually seeing it for myself. You can learn more about Billy Bastard (and see clips)on his blog.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Summer Cookout: Recipes from Our Favorite Cooking Shows
- From Kelly to Candice: Ranking the 'American Idol' Winners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Rankings: Who Was the Baddest Character in Season 4?
- 'American Idol': Ranking the Winners' Coronation Songs
- 'How I Met Your Mother' Promotes Cristin Milioti to Series Regular
- More From BuddyTV
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2013: Ann and Nancy Wilson bring the Heart
- 'American Idol' runner-up Kree Harrison to make her Grand Ole Opry debut on June 4
- Mariah Carey did not lip-sync on 'American Idol,' according to her rep
- TV ratings: 'Nikita' finale rises slightly while 'Shark Tank' dominates a night of news and reruns
- 'Doctor Who' Season 7 finale: Watch Matt Smith, Jenna-Louise Coleman introduce 'Name of the Doctor' and the prequel episode
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch This Weekend: The Doctor Is Out, Ben Affleck on SNL, Simpsons Finale and More
- Exclusive First Look: The Goodwin Games Cast Takes Part in a Violent Beatdown!
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Nikita's Maggie Q
- Exclusive First Look: AMC's New Showville Puts Spotlight on Townie Talent
- Mike & Molly Creator Steps Down as Showrunner
- More From TVLine