I recently completed a project where my main goal was to provide viewing pleasure to others. By itself, I realize that sentence sounds rather scandalous, so I will clarify - it is a yarn calendar. Completing this project and making it public brought forth many helpful suggestions and ideas.
In some corners, these remarks would be considered criticism, but it is all phrased in a similar tone to my grade-school report cards - encouraging, reassuring and with only the mildest suggestion that improvement is necessary.
It struck me that there is not enough of this sort of advice in the world, and as I'm getting so much, I should pay it forward. And I knew exactly who needed my advice the most - two of the most promising new shows of the 2010 season. Like me, they have so much potential. Living up to it is another story.
Now that the second season of Breaking Bad is in the books, it's time to evaluate high school science teacher Walter White's performance. He's been giving out the grades to students for years, but who's been monitoring this high school teacher?
It's time for this Breaking Bad character to be graded. Here's a report card for Mr. White, and whether he's using the name Heisenberg or White, we're turning the tables on "teach" and giving him some grades across the board.
I'm hoping that UPN (soon to be the CW) has some kind of mysterious plan for Everybody Hates Chris that only it understands, because I've been genuinely confused by how the last few episodes of this season have been doled out. The show has been in reruns, but once in awhile, like last night, they'll toss a new one out there. On the surface, it appears as if UPN has abandoned a show they once touted quite enthusiastically by sneaking new episodes past fans. I'm hoping that isn't the case, that perhaps the show is just ending its first season with a fade out in preparation for a big second season.
Last night's episode focused on two storylines, Chris' father getting the gout from eating heavily-salted food, including, according to one sequence, "chicken-fried bananas" and Chris himself getting an F in math and trying to fool his parents into thinking he got an A. Math is the only class in which Chris can't get a passing grade, as his all-white school seems to give him a free pass as long as all his reports have to do with Martin Luther King, Jr. Taking advantage of the ignorance of white people is a reoccurring theme on the show. Everybody Hates Chris doesn't just focus on blatant racism, it also points the finger at those who work feverishly to seem "black friendly" but ironically ignore the individual. When Chris is at home, or hanging out with his friend Greg at school, he's just a regular kid. It's when his teachers single him out in class to talk about black history, or the basketball coach asks him to join the team without seeing him play, that he becomes a "black kid." Chris Rock has said before that races have much more in common with one another than people realize, and that when its all laid out, the differences are few and inconsequential. That seems to be the guiding ethos of Everybody Hates Chris, and it's what makes the show both hysterical and thought-provoking.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet the Cast of 'Utopia'
- Best 'Suits' Quotes from 'This is Rome'
- Meet the Contestants of 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 13
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 11: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'The Originals' Interview: Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin Tease Season 2 Behind the Compound Walls
- More From BuddyTV
- Emmy Poll 2014: What Should Win Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series?
- True Blood: Ranking 15 of the Series' Best and (Mostly) Worst Villains
- Sneak Peek: The Last Ship Gets a Rude Awakening in Season Finale
- Max Adler Returning to Glee's Season 6 — Should Klaine Fans Be Worried?
- Pretty Little Liars First Look: 'Fatal' Summer Finale Claims Its First Victim
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: On Set With Charli XCX for Her Prom-Themed 'Break the Rules' Video
- Remember William Hung From 'American Idol?' He's Married!
- Nick Cannon Confirms Separate Living Arrangements with Mariah Carey
- Ariana Grande Clarifies Her Comments on Her Ex Cheating on Her With Another Guy
- This French Bulldog Puppy is the Cutest Thing That Has Ever Happened
- More From ET