Not all TV producers/writers/creators are well-known, but Cannell was. That will happen when you are involved so many shows (in his case, more than 40). Even casual TV fans know the guy who rips the paper out of the typewriter and throws it up in the air at the end of his shows.
Since the 1960s, Cannell did many shows, either as a writer, creator, producer, or director (and sometimes all of those). He even acted, and had a recurring role on ABC's 'Castle.'
Here's my list of the great Cannell shows. Feel free to add yours in the comments below.
If not for that recent announcement, Selleck would have been number one on the list that follows after the jump: five stars I'd like to see on a regular TV series again.
1. Nick Mancuso. Mancuso starred in one of my favorite TV shows, 'Stingray,' and he has had a rather interesting career since then. He's been in a couple of TV shows and a slew of movies (including the 'Under Seige' films), but these days it seems like he's very content focusing on his artwork, his writing (check out his blog), and doing the occasional role in a movie.
I think George is ambitious and grateful to be working in the business. I think he remembers the years of struggling to become a star -- those years on The Facts of Life and Riptide and E/R (the Elliott Gould sitcom, not the Emmy award-winning NBC medical drama).
Failures like Leatherheads have to keep him humble. Anyway, his efforts to expand as an actor and director and producer strike me as someone who is wisely not resting on his laurels. That said, today it was reported that Clooney's production company, Smoke House, is behind a new pilot for Showtime called The Fall of Bob.
At least once a week, someone will write me an email asking me to "settle a bet" or "ease their mind" about some trivia question that they can't seem to find the answer to. I'm also happy to use my knowledge to help out in any way I can.
On my own weekly podcast, I always ask a trivia question that I consider to be somewhat simple although difficult to research online. Rarely do I get a correct answer. So I thought I would use the TV Squad forum to give readers a chance to answer the trivia questions as well.
So here is the first question inspired by the great Boston Legal episode, 'Son of the Defender'. Good luck.
1: Tivo. I resisted the siren's call of Tivo for a long time, opting instead to stick with the complex system of tapes, VCR's and my computer that had kept me up to date for years. But finally, after hearing again and again from the TV Squad readers to just get a Tivo already, I did. And it has been as good as everyone said it would be. I'll say it. You were all right. I was wrong.
I'm still hoping for all the goodies to work with OS X, or dare I say, Ubuntu, but for now I can begrudgingly run Windows. The ability to archive shows to another machine is fantastic, and if you do the math, it works out to about the same price as using tapes for storage anyway.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Criminal Minds' Episode 10.19 Photos: Meet the FBI's International Unit
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.18 Photos: Elena Reevaluates Her Vampire Life
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.17 Photos: Sam and Cas Investigate the Mark of Cain
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.19 Photos: Everyone Observes a Big Surgery
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Psychic in the Soup'
- More From BuddyTV
- James Marsters Joins Jenji Kohan's HBO Drama Pilot The Devil You Know
- Killing Jesus Video: Kelsey Grammer's King Herod Meets His Maker
- New Girl Sneak Peek: Jess Makes Sweet Music With NFL Star JJ Watt
- John Noble Recalls His Time on Fringe, 24, Sleepy Hollow and More
- Heroes Reborn: Masi Oka to Return as Hiro! Plus, Premiere Date Scoop
- More From TVLine
- Drea de Matteo Loses Home in East Village Explosion
- How Real Is 'Get Hard?' Prison Coach Reveals How Actual White-Collar Criminals Prep for Jail
- Viola Davis on 'Suicide Squad' Role: 'I'm a Little Scared'
- Jennifer Lopez Caught Kissing Her Ex Casper Smart — Are They Back Together?
- Vanessa Hudgens, Beyonce & More with Must-Have Accessory Trends
- More From ET