Actually, Russell Brand did work with them a bit on stage presence. Rob Reiner, on the other hand, seemed to just want to spotlight the lyrics he'd written for the theme music from 'Chariots of Fire.'
"A song can sometimes set up an entire movie," he said, trying to emphasize the importance of music to cinema. That's great and all, but in what way would that be relevant to the contestants? They were polite and seemed to enjoy his silly lyrics. What do you think?
Apparently, Ryan was nervous about making such personal noises in front of a bunch of crew and extras she didn't know. So director Rob Reiner, "a big bear of a man" as Crystal described him, decided to show her how to do it.
"So Reiner proceeds to have an orgasm that Mighty Joe Young would have," Crystal explained to Jon Stewart. "Oh it's huge, he's pounding the table. The little spice balls are flying off pickles."
Today, Jan. 12, marks the 40th anniversary of the CBS show's debut, and it's hard to say if the comedy would've been as influential in today's television landscape.
While there are plenty of shows that feature sex and violence -- and even cartoons like 'South Park' handle some political/cultural issues -- there aren't many that deal with politics, race and sex the way this show did. It was controversial then, but with today's 24-hour news, cable pundits, the Internet and political correctness, it would get a lot of heat (if it made it on the air at all).
So in honor of 'All in the Family's' anniversary, here's our list of 12 great moments from the show. It's hard to pick just a dozen, but these are all classic.
What brought them together? Spying on their children's Web activity.
"A kid has a computer, that means that the entire world is that kid's bedroom," Reiner explained. "So you really do owe it to yourself as a parent to keep your child safe ... you want to know what's going on in their world."
"Nothing thrills me more to be next to a liberal who really has a conservative approach to parenting," a pleased Huckabee told his clapping audience.
So to celebrate episode 200th of the show (called '200'), show creators Matt Stone and 'Trey Parker decided to bring back every celebrity they have ever made fun of and take them on all at once (see the incomplete list of those appearing on the show below). The result is a bizarre episode, even by 'South Park' standards (if you still have it on DVR, there are a few plot spoilers ahead).
On June 9, Sony will release The Norman Lear Collection, a 19-disc set that will include the first seasons of the shows that Norman Lear did over the years, including All in the Family, Sanford and Son, The Jeffersons, Maude, One Day At A Time, Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, and Good Times. The set will include lots of bonus material, including new interviews with people like Rob Reiner and Jimmie Walker, along with the two unseen pilots for All in the Family, Those Were The Days and And Justice For All (in the original pilot, the Bunkers' last name was actually Justice).
You'll remember Evans from his role as Lionel Jefferson on All In The Family and the spinoff show The Jeffersons. He died of throat cancer last week in California.
Besides his role as Lionel, Evans also appeared in The Streets of San Francisco, Rich Man, Poor Man, Love, American Style, Match Game, and Walker, Texas Ranger. He was also one of the creators and writers of the sitcom Good Times.
I had forgotten this, but he was actually replaced as Lionel Jefferson on The Jeffersons for four years, in the late 70s. He was replaced by Damon Evans, then returned to the show for the last couple of years.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- The 30 Best Auditions of 'American Idol' Season 14
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilots: ABC Orders Comedies About Johnny Knoxville, NBA Odd Couple, Genius Kids, Plus 4 Others
- Ground Floor Cancelled at TBS
- Glee Recap: Love in an Elevator
- Pilots: ABC Orders College Conspiracy, Modern Oil Boom Dramas, Others
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Photos: Cersei Schemes, Tyrion Lurks, Arya Arrives, New Faces Emerge
- More From TVLine
- Rihanna Teases 'FourFiveSeconds' Music Video
- Casey Kasem's Children Continue to Fight: This Is a Case of Elder Abuse
- Why 'Better Call Saul' Is the Most Anticipated TV Spinoff Ever
- Stacey Dash Slammed After Saying Campus Rape Victims Are ‘Bad Girls'
- Kevin Hart Mocks Kevin Frazier's Katy Perry Selfie at Madden Bowl
- More From ET