I'm very excited about the 'TV Land Awards' that will air on April 25 at 9PM. I'm a big fan of retro television (and Retro Television), and I like seeing a lot of stars both old and new get all dressed up and come together for a night of fun, craziness, and award-giving. Tim Allen as host? Great! You're going to honor Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari from 'Bosom Buddies?' Fantastic! A salute to 'Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks?' Outstanding!
I'm particularly excited about this year's show because from the promos I've seen, it looks like you're going to re-animate the dead.
The dashing Culp, who also appeared in classic episodes of 'The Outer Limits' and 'Columbo,' and costarred in 'Greatest American Hero,' died yesterday at the age of 79. For those wishing to remember him in his signature role, here are three 'I Spy' episodes, also scripted by Culp, to get you started.
Although Culp is probably best known for his work with Bill Cosby on 'I Spy,' he could be equally well-known to modern audiences for his work on two other classic shows. He played Agent Bill Maxwell on 'The Greatest American Hero' and also played Debra's dad on 'Everybody Loves Raymond.'
He made appearances in tons of other TV shows too: 'Columbo' (he was the murderer four times), 'Murder, She Wrote,' 'Matlock,' 'Robot Chicken,' 'The Outer Limits,' 'Police Story,' 'Dr. Kildare,' 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E., 'Combat,' 'Disneyland,' 'The Rifleman,' 'Bonanza,' 'Golden Girls,' 'Wings,' and many more shows and movies.
Oh, 'I Spy' was a fantastic show. It was shot on location around the world, which is rather rare for a TV show. It's on tonight at 9 on Retro TV. After the jump, the opening (you can also watch the show for free at SlashControl).
The incident occurred while the Emmy-winning star was taking a walk outside his Hollywood home. He was found by a jogger, who then called 911. Culp was pronounced dead after arriving at LA's Queen of Angels hospital.
Culp played Kelly Robinson for three seasons on 'I Spy' and received four Emmy nominations, including one for writing.
His other television credits include 'Trackdown,' 'Greatest American Hero' and the recent CBS comedy 'Everybody Loves Raymond,' in which he played Debra's (Patricia Heaton) father, Warren, in 11 episodes.
For more on the death of Robert Culp, visit PopEater.
If you've never seen the '60s intrigue drama I Spy, and haven't had the displeasure of having your brain cells infected by the abysmal big screen adaptation from a few years ago that starred Eddie Murphy and Owen Wilson, you're in for a treat: the entire series is now on DVD.
Oh, it was on DVD before, but there are two differences with this release. One, the entire series has been remastered, and two, the series is in order by season. The other releases featured individual DVDs that had random episodes on them. The entire series had been released (I think, anyway), but since they weren't in season order, it was rather odd.
Luckily, the new sets take care of that error. And those aren't the only two surprises on this set.
I liked The Greatest American Hero as a kid. I've always like the superhero genre and to me this character's origin was a mix of Superman and Green Lantern. More interestingly, I realized as I got older that the three main characters of Ralph, Bill and Ralph's girlfriend Pam represents three different personality types. Ralph was the dreamer, Pam was the pragmatist and Bill was the pessimist.
Since Ralph was the dreamer, he was the one with the ability to change the world. Or, this could just be me talking nonsense and looking at a quaint '80s series with rose-colored glasses. What do you think a modern take on this show would be like?
13 discs for only 43 episodes? What kind of extras are going to be on the set?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Elementary' My Dear Watson: Best Deductions from 'Tremors'
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland': 18 Shocking Moments from 'Bad Blood'
- 'Project Runway All Stars' Season 3: Ranking the Looks of 'Marge Madness'
- 'American Horror Story: Coven' Episode Photos
- Best 'Vampire Diaries' Quotes from 'The Cell'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'SNL': One Direction makes Paul Rudd faint in new promos - Watch
- After 'Sound of Music Live!': 6 other musicals to consider for TV
- 'Haven': Why William is the best thing to happen to a messed-up town in Maine
- 'The Grammy Nominations Concert Live!' 2013: 'NCIS: Los Angeles' LL Cool J is still close to music
- 'Doctor Who' Christmas special video: Daleks, Cybermen and the Doctor in new trailer
- More From Zap2it
- Did Blacklist's Wig Wow You? Glee's Best Jesus? Dead Cameo? WTF, GH Wedding?! And More Qs
- Scoop: Scandal Season 3 Episode Order Trimmed in Wake of Kerry Washington's Pregnancy News
- Bates Motel Exclusive: Haunting New Season 2 Promos Point to Fresh Blood (and Taxidermy!)
- Ratings: NBC's Sound of Music Live! Does Something Very Good; Glee and Grey's Eye Lows
- Exclusive Once Upon a Time Video: Which Stone-Cold Villain Is Snow White Hunting?
- More From TVLine