September 16, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Cast Photos
- 'Red Band Society' Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 19 Shocking Moments from 'Turn'
- [Video] 'The Mindy Project' Season 3 Preview: Awkward Sex, Gossip and Danny's Special Skills
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19 Premiere Performance Rankings
- More From BuddyTV
- Mindy Project: Pop-Up Exes, a Killer Cousin and 6 More Season 3 Nuggets
- Thursday Night Football Spikes Rihanna Song After Public Clash With Singer
- Hannibal Video: The Dangerous 'Allure' of the Plastic Kill Suit
- Sneak Peek: Pay Your First Visit to Syfy's Town of the Living Dead
- Ratings: Dancing With the Stars Dips to Premiere Low, Dome Rises
- More From TVLine
- Why Is Eminem Suing New Zealand's National Party?
- 'New Girl's Newest Loft Romance: 'Schmidt Reveals His Feelings For Nick!'
- Exclusive Clip: Does Ben Have What it Takes to Join the Duggar Clan?
- Beyonce Poses with Champagne, Complicating Pregnancy Speculation
- Lena Dunham Book Tour Tickets Being Sold for $900
- More From ET