July 29, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 18 Performance Rankings
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: Jason Gets Blindsided
- The Final Rose: Kaitlyn and Shawn's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Best 'Pretty Little Liars' Quotes from 'FrAmed'
- Casting Bits: Familiar Faces on 'Fuller House', Chris Browning Joins 'Supergirl' and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Graceland's Serinda Swan Weighs In on Paige Hate, Unsexiest Sex Scene Ever
- Anthony Geary to General Hospital Fans: JK About That Retirement!
- Mindy Project Season 4 Twist: Mindy to Wed Big Bang Theory's Raj?!
- The CW Eyeing Dark Little Women Adaptation From NCIS Star
- Degrassi's Top 17 Couples, Ranked: Eclare vs. Fimogen and More
- More From TVLine
- Salma Hayek: Racism in America Is the 'Big Elephant in the Room'
- Chris Pine Will Officially Play Wonder Woman's Love Interest!
- Miranda Lambert Says She's 'Been Living Off Caffeine & Sad Songs' After Divorce
- Did Gisele Bündchen Secretly Get Plastic Surgery in Paris?
- Rosie O'Donnell Draws From Her Real Life in 'The Fosters' Return
- More From ET