Tommy Lee, who looks like he's been up since last night, chooses Dilana for the encore. She's definitely unique but she still scares me a bit. Methinks Tommy L. has a bit of a crush. I still say I'd like her better if she blinked now and then.
The bottom three are Chris, Phil and Matt. Chris sings "L.A. Woman." He's better than last night but still seems awkward and thin-voiced. Phil sing "Stars" by Switchfoot. It's nice to hear a song that hasn't been done a zillion times before. He does a decent job with it. Matt promises to rock Duran Duran and sings "Planet Earth." Bad song choice and bad rendition.
Supernova decides to send Matt home, definitely a fair choice since he was the worst of the three.
Words I am already tired of hearing on this show: baby, brother, dude, man and rocker.
This season would be different, right? After all, we've got Tommy Lee, he's a rocker. And Gilby Clarke, he was in a band with rockers (Guns n' Roses) and Jason Newsted, bassist for Metallica. This won't be a thing like American Idol. This year it will actually rock.
Well, for the most part, it was pretty much American Idol with more guitars. This round of nominees are a bit less inspired than last season. They are prettier and seem a bit less hungry. Many of them front mildly successful bands. And, while I really like to believe in my heart that a woman can win this, I find it hard to believe that Supernova, which purports to be a "dirty rock and roll band" is going to choose a female singer.
- On the cover: Dennis Haysbert of The Unit.
- Behind the scenes of the Grey's Anatomy cast photo shoot.
- An interview with Supergroup's Sebastian Bach.
- Yet another interview: Prison Break's Stacey Keach.
- Matt Roush really likes Psych and Hustle, but finds that the new season of Chappelle's Show leaves a sour aftertaste.
- In the print edition: a tribute to Aaron Spelling; a look at the new season of Rock Star; photos of some of the acts from America's Got Talent; and a Q & A with Rescue Me's Tatum O'Neal.
Here are a list of audition dates and cities, if you rock:
I had no idea this show did well but it must have because today it earned a second season. The first time around Rock Star, produced by Mark Burnett, featured aspiring singers all vying for one grand prize: the job as the new frontman for 80s rock band INXS. Applications for next season are already being accepted at CBS.com and Burnett expects plenty of people to get involved as evidenced by the spike in popularity of INXS, who now have a sold-out North American tour. Rock Star will return this summer but there have been no announcements regarding which band or which job(s) will be at stake.
I for one hope it does well again for Burnett. He could use a boost of confidence after the miserable abomination that was The Apprentice: Martha Stewart.
Next the band gets up on stage to play with Marty and J.D. Marty sings "Don't Change" and although I love the way the boy looks he keeps enunciating strangely and his voice just has this fragility to it. Also he can't help himself from going mad conductor in the end. J.D. sings "What You Need" and his impersonator chops help him sound much more like Michael Hutchence than Marty does. The band chooses J.D. after making him wait for a few moments in which he nearly wets himself. He's so genuinely happy that it's hard not to be happy for him as he collaspes on the ground and weeps. Marty, for his part, is gracious in defeat and the newly reformed INXS takes the stage for the first time. I'm still not sure I'm interested in seeing or listening to the reformed INXS but at least the person who wanted the job the most got it.
Suzie: "Interstate Love Song" and "What's Up" (She does a good job of working with the band and sings her heart out)
J.D.: "Pretty Vegas" and "Money" (J.D.s fashion sense is very Avril Lavigne this evening complete with tie, hat and rings from grandma's jewelry box. He kisses Dave Navarro while singing his own song and does an over-the-top version of "Money" tossing money into the crowd.)
Marty: "Trees" and "Creep" (he sings his own song acoustic with Navarro and even acoustic he still gets screamy and blowing out his voice a bit, he seems nervous tonight and flubs the words a bit during "Creep" but he is very intense and has the most rocker-like stage presence)
Mig: "Paint It Black" and Kiss from a Rose" (Mig, dressed in some sort of Sgt. Pepper get-up, sings with enthusiasm but not raw heart, it's all very theatrical and his arrangement of "Paint It Black" is a bit too ballady, in the comments Dave Navarro exhorts Mig to take off the jacket so that he can get extra votes through the display of his well-waxed and cut torso. Mig, like Navarro tends to favor the jacket with nothing underneath look. We certainly haven't seen Navarro asking anyone else to take off their shirts)
The ranking thus far is Marty, J.D., Suzie and Mig but once Australia is in the voting window Mig will coast right out of the bottom three. I tend to agree with the ranking as it stands. It really should come down to a battle between J.D. and Marty in the end.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Horrifying, Heartwarming and Hilarious Moments from 'The New Neverland'
- 'The Amazing Race' Season 23 Highlights: Elephants, Camels and Rams, Oh My!
- 'Homeland' Moments: Brody Shifts Loyalties in 'Big Man in Tehran'
- The 13 Best Comedies of 2013
- USA Announces Winter 2014 Premiere Dates for 'Psych,' 'White Collar,' 'Suits' and 'Sirens'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Bakery Boss' enlists a drill sergeant to help Kristi G's Cupcakes & More
- 'The Voice': Behind the scenes with the Top 5 in the recording studio
- 'Scandal,''Orange Is The New Black' in, 'Modern Family' out of AFI Top 10 TV list
- 'The Sing-Off's' Jewel: A cappella 'was a dying art form before this show came along'
- 'Californication' announces series finale: Season 7 will be its last
- More From Zap2it
- 'Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From Reign, Once, Mindy and Other Shows Are Faring
- Exclusive Sneak Peek: The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Battle Centipede's Next Gen Super-Soldier
- What's on Your TV Wish List for 2014? Speak Up!
- RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 Trailer: Spilling Tea, Stalking Prey, Blowing S*** Up!
- Showtime Cancels Californication
- More From TVLine