If you watch TV in Canada, by now you've seen the warring ad campaigns. One claims a TV tax is coming your way, and the other says we should save local television.
Neither of these is exactly true. The real issue here is something called 'fee for carriage' - a debate that's come up several times before now. To put it simply, TV networks (nets) want the CRTC to make the cable and satellite companies (cablesats) pay them a little something for the privilege of airing their shows.
I haven't broached the topic before now because - let's be honest - the only thing more boring than Canadian television is a political argument about Canadian television. I'm kidding! (Sort of). But at this point, I've seen these commercials a lot more often than I have 'Being Erica' or 'Flashpoint' and I'm guessing the same goes for the rest of Canada. So who are the jerks? Is it the nets, asking for cash without saying how they'll spend it? Is it the cablesats, squeezing the customer for higher bills when they already make a fortune? Or is it us, the Canadian people, who always say we want more and better Canadian television, and then never watch it? As is frequently the case in arguments like these, we're all jerks.
Leverage has been added to TNT's list of drama pilots, only one or two of which will be chosen for next summer's schedule to air alongside popular series The Closer and Saving Grace. The other dramas include an untitled legal drama from Stephen Bochco starring Jane Kaczmarek and Mark-Paul Gosselaar, the William H. Macy dramedy Family Man, and Truth in Advertising, a drama about an ad agency.
Tom Rogers, who has served as Vice Chairman of the Board at Tivo for two years, will take over as President and CEO in July to replace co-founder Mike Ramsey. Rogers has a slew of media experience under his belt, including time spent at NBC. The new president plans not to attend board meetings, but instead he'll Tivo them so he can skip over the boring parts. Thank you, I'll be here all week.
[via Lost Remote]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.7 Photos: Will Alison Win the Election for School Trustee?
- Summer 2015's Sexiest Stars: TV's Hottest Women
- [Video] 'The Bachelorette': Did One of Kaitlyn's Suitors Fall in Love with Another Guy?
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- More From BuddyTV
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- So You Think You Can Dance: Season 12's Judges (and Mentors) Get Glam!
- TVLine Items: Jimmy Smits Gets Down, Grace and Frankie Renewed and More
- T.J. Miller's The Gorburger Show Gobbles Up Pilot Order at HBO
- More From TVLine
- Amy Schumer Goes After Bill Cosby During 'Inside Amy Schumer'
- Bruce Jenner Responds to Wrongful Death Suit
- Cher, 69, Is Fiercer Than Ever as the New Face of Marc Jacobs
- Bette Midler Weighs In on Josh Duggar Scandal, Calls Allegations Ironic
- The Story of Two Sisters Trying to Return a Lost Camera Full of 'Precious Memories' to Its Rightful Owner
- More From ET