(S01E01) Like CBS's other medical drama for this TV season, 'Three Rivers,' 'Miami Medical' is very earnest and filled with moments that strive for poignancy. The fact that it doesn't succeed is less a reflection on the network than the creators. At least CBS gets credit for realizing that 'Miami Medical' was less that the sum of its aspirations and planted it in the little viewed Friday, 10 PM time slot.
The excitement that is rock and roll, by and large, has always had difficulty coming across on television. The television screen puts limitations on the visuals of a rock and roll show, especially the feedback the crowd gives the band when they're playing well. Plus, rock and roll is meant to play loud, and no matter how loud you put the volume up on your television, most of the time it just doesn't translate.
However, there have been a few times where rock and roll has transcended the television screen and brought across truly memorable moments. Of course, when The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, it was such an historic event that what you heard didn't matter--it was only what you saw. A few years ago, U2 played at halftime of the Super Bowl, and again, although the sound was a bit murky, their performance was so mesmerizing that people still talk about.
This year's Super
Bowl halftime show featured The Rolling Stones. As big a fan as I am (I've seen them live over 20
times), I was curious to see how they would come across on television. They've been appearing on TV for over 40 years,
so they know the drill, and Mick Jagger certainly knows how to play to the cameras.
In what has to be the most boring, predictable news of the day, The Rolling Stones will play during the half-time show of the Super Bowl game in February. Let's just hope that Mick doesn't rip off Keith's shirt.
Seriously, rock n' roll is a young person's game. I don't want to see 60somethings rockin' during the Super Bowl or any other bowl, no matter how legendary and great they are.
He'll be singing a new version of "I Like It, I Love It" during halftime game highlights. No, not Jimmy Kimmel, I'm talking about singer Tim McGraw! Kimmel will be doing monologues during halftime.
So now we'll have McGraw, Kimmel, and The Rolling Stones on the Monday Night Football broadcast. And I never thought I'd write a sentence like that.
I'd been wondering about this since watching the Bears/Dolphins game last night.
The Rolling Stones are partnering with the NFL to create introductions and other spots for the upcoming Monday Night Football season. The deal will have the decades-old band featured in a variety of segments duing the MNF broadcasts, beginning with the Sept. 8th game, which will feautre footage from a Detroit concert just a week prior. Not only is this expected to be a shot in the arm for the NFL, who will still use the "Are You Ready For Some Football" song in addition to this, but good for the Stones, who will use the spots as a way to promote their upcoming record The Bigger Bang.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Photos: Everyone Comes Back to McKinley
- 10 Unforgettable Moments from 'The Amazing Race' Season 25
- Steroline: 9 Pivotal Moments of Stefan and Caroline's Relationship on 'The Vampire Diaries'
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.11 Photos: Will Grief Unite Emily and Victoria?
- 'The Amazing Race' Season Finale Recap: Which Team Wins the Race?
- More From BuddyTV
- Darlene Love's Final Late Show Visit: Watch Her Full Performance
- Late Late Show: Craig Ferguson Says Goodbye With Incredible Twist Ending
- Glee First Look: A Reunion-y Season 6 — With Bonus Quinn and Karofsky!
- The Amazing Race Season 25 Finale: And the Winner Is...
- Cable Ratings: Colbert Report Ends on High Note, Covert Finale Ticks Up
- More From TVLine
- Craig Ferguson's Final 'Late Late Show' Ends With a Twist
- Watch George Clooney Turn Heads in His 'Downton Abbey' Debut!
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Welcome Daughter No. 2!
- The Ultimate Binge-Watch Guide: Which TV Shows to Marathon Over the Holidays!
- ‘The Amazing Race' Crowns Season 25 Winners
- More From ET