(S01E01) Like CBS's other medical drama for this TV season, 'Three Rivers,' 'Miami Medical' is very earnest and filled with moments that strive for poignancy. The fact that it doesn't succeed is less a reflection on the network than the creators. At least CBS gets credit for realizing that 'Miami Medical' was less that the sum of its aspirations and planted it in the little viewed Friday, 10 PM time slot.
The excitement that is rock and roll, by and large, has always had difficulty coming across on television. The television screen puts limitations on the visuals of a rock and roll show, especially the feedback the crowd gives the band when they're playing well. Plus, rock and roll is meant to play loud, and no matter how loud you put the volume up on your television, most of the time it just doesn't translate.
However, there have been a few times where rock and roll has transcended the television screen and brought across truly memorable moments. Of course, when The Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, it was such an historic event that what you heard didn't matter--it was only what you saw. A few years ago, U2 played at halftime of the Super Bowl, and again, although the sound was a bit murky, their performance was so mesmerizing that people still talk about.
This year's Super
Bowl halftime show featured The Rolling Stones. As big a fan as I am (I've seen them live over 20
times), I was curious to see how they would come across on television. They've been appearing on TV for over 40 years,
so they know the drill, and Mick Jagger certainly knows how to play to the cameras.
In what has to be the most boring, predictable news of the day, The Rolling Stones will play during the half-time show of the Super Bowl game in February. Let's just hope that Mick doesn't rip off Keith's shirt.
Seriously, rock n' roll is a young person's game. I don't want to see 60somethings rockin' during the Super Bowl or any other bowl, no matter how legendary and great they are.
He'll be singing a new version of "I Like It, I Love It" during halftime game highlights. No, not Jimmy Kimmel, I'm talking about singer Tim McGraw! Kimmel will be doing monologues during halftime.
So now we'll have McGraw, Kimmel, and The Rolling Stones on the Monday Night Football broadcast. And I never thought I'd write a sentence like that.
I'd been wondering about this since watching the Bears/Dolphins game last night.
The Rolling Stones are partnering with the NFL to create introductions and other spots for the upcoming Monday Night Football season. The deal will have the decades-old band featured in a variety of segments duing the MNF broadcasts, beginning with the Sept. 8th game, which will feautre footage from a Detroit concert just a week prior. Not only is this expected to be a shot in the arm for the NFL, who will still use the "Are You Ready For Some Football" song in addition to this, but good for the Stones, who will use the spots as a way to promote their upcoming record The Bigger Bang.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.4 Photos: What Does Wes Find Out About Rebecca's 'Disappearance'?
- 'Arrow' Season 4 Premiere: 17 Shocking Moments from 'Green Arrow'
- 'Criminal Minds': The 9 Moments Leading Up to the UnSub's Final Plan in 'The Witness'
- 'The Walking Dead' Interview: How Loyal are Michonne and Glenn to Rick?
- AMC Renews 'Halt and Catch Fire' for Season 3
- More From BuddyTV
- Pretty Little Liars' New Intro: See All 5 Girls in the Season 6B Title Sequence
- The Voice: Pre-Battle Rounds Rankings for Each Season 9 Team
- TVLine Items: The Librarians Trailer, Boehner Off Tonight Show and More
- AHS Ratings: Huge Opening for Hotel
- NCIS: New Orleans First Look: Bakula and the Team Get Red Dress'd Up
- More From TVLine
- Cathriona White's Funeral Plans Set, Will Jim Carrey Attend?
- Katie Holmes Derails a Photoshoot, Hits Penn Station in Heels and a Ballgown
- Tom Hanks Channels 'Forrest Gump' During Run Through Times Square
- Snooki Says She's Going to 'Trick' Husband Jionni Into Getting Her Pregnant Again
- EXCLUSIVE: Gia and Joe Giudice Prep for Teresa's 'Perfect' Holiday Homecoming
- More From ET