There have been rumors kicking around for a while that there would be a movie version, (Stevenson talked about the script development in an interview with MovieWeb.com last year), but these are the first concrete details to emerge.
The move to the big screen makes sense. The series was still popular with fans and critics when it was canceled. But it was expensive to produce, which made it a hard series for HBO to commit to. The budget for a couple of episodes was probably similar to the budget for a feature film.
Heller can probably tell the story he wants to tell in one long movie, with less of a financial commitment, and, who know, possibly put himself in position to make more 'Rome' sequels. Which would be great for the series' fans.
It's an especially heartwarming time for fans of great programming, of course, and this week really kicks the pre-Christmas frenzy into full gear with a slate of high-profile offerings sure to make any fan act a little extra nice just in case Santa is watching. So check out our list of the top DVD releases of the week and start making your own list, because it's the time of the season... for watching television.
Who would buy Hammertime on DVD? I'm actually asking. Is that something that you would actually watch again after you've already watched it on TV?
There are some good complete series sets being released this week, though: Andy Richter's Andy Barker, P.I., a Rome gift set, Farscape, and a new box for The Sopranos.
- 7th Heaven - Season 9
- Andy Barker, P.I. - Complete Series
- Ben 10: Alien Force - Vol. 5
- Drawn Together - Complete Series
But that's not the only reason I can't get too worked up about TVs big show. Often, my favourite shows just aren't nominated.
So I decided to have a look at some of my favourite shows that never won Emmys - or at least I thought they never won Emmys. but once I started doing my research, it turned out the Academy totally saw me coming and headed me off at the pass. Most of my favourite shows have won Emmys. For hairstyling.
Check out our list of snubbed shows, after the jump!
So I dove into it, and the subsequent books in the series. It was fascinating and rich, and uniquely told. It is the biography of an old Aztec man as he told it to a Bishop. The Bishop, in turn, wrote the story in a series of letters to the Spanish King, and it is these letters that make up the chapters of the book.
The story was so unique and so uniquely told, I remember at the time thinking it would make a wonderful mini-series. And now, after all these years, that might just happen. Aztec has just been optioned for television as a possible mini-series. It's just too bad Jennings didn't live to see it.
No need for a new "Mc"-nickname -- the newest hot doc on 'Grey's Anatomy' comes with his own.
Kevin McKidd, who headlined 'Rome' and last year's cancelled cult fave 'Journeyman,' recently joined the cast of the medical drama as Dr. Owen Hunt. The maverick Army surgeon is already making waves at Seattle Grace (and sharing heart-stopping kisses with Sandra Oh's Cristina Yang).
The veteran Scottish actor chatted with AOL TV about how Patrick Dempsey didn't help him get the role, what would've happened on 'Journeyman' and his steamy 'Grey's' romance.
Just like their real-life counterparts, TV politicians will say and do anything to get your support.
The difference? Instead of a ballot, they want you to vote with your remote. And on TV, a politico's constituents are nothing more than ratings boosters. OK, so maybe there's not a huge difference.
From the obvious (three 'West Wing' pols make the list) to the more obscure (did you even know there was an elected official on 'The Wire'?), we count down the top 20 TV politicians of all time. Read through our list and let us know if you think we need a recount or if our list is full of winners.
At this point, the project seems headed to the big screen. That would be a plus insofar as the set design and lush look. However, one of the benefits of the 1976 version was the length. It was 13 episodes, a hour each (sans commercials). That meant the complexities of Graves' novel -- and there were dozens of them -- not to mention the enormous cast of characters, could be played out.
Entertainment Weekly is reporting that the Scottish actor, who blew (some of) us away as the time-traveling journalist Dan Vasser on Journeyman, is in talks to join the cast of Grey's Anatomy. The rumor is that McKidd would play a doctor who scrubs in at the hospital after a stint in Iraq.
(S01E02) Last night on Cane Alex started his new position as the head of the Duque rum and sugar empire but things aren't business as usual: Alex continued to deal with brewing opposition from his "brother" Frank and had to clean up some loose ends from the murder of Quinones.
Some people might say that this show is just Dallas remixed but I love me some classic rich family drama (this drama is spicier because it includes Jimmy Smits and an array of nice suits). Smits certainly makes a good front man for this cast which also includes Hector Elizondo and the incomparable Rita Moreno.
For more on last night's episode, click continue reading below.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- 8 Simple Rules... - Season 1
- The Adventures of Jim Bowie - Complete Series
- Charlie Lola - Vol. 5
- Daniel Boone - Season 5
- Darkwing Duck - Vol. 2
- The Dresden Files - Season 1
- Full House - Season 7
- The Hills - Season 2
- Home Improvement - Season 7
- Inside The Actor's Studio - Barbra Streisand
- The Muppet Show - Season 2
- Rome - Season 2
- Roseanne - Season 8
- Saved By The Bell - Hawaiian Style and Wedding in Las Vegas movies
- The Simpsons - Season 10
- Soul Food - Season 2
- The Suite Life of Zack & Cody - Vol. 2
- Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show - Complete Series
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Season 5
- That Girl - Season 3
- The Tick - Season 2
OK, so the networks have given their upfronts and they've sent out the screener DVDs. These are the pilot episodes of the new fall shows, in not-quite-completed form. Things could still change before they hit the networks this fall, but they give a good general sense of what the shows are about and what they're like.
Today Joel and I start with previews of some new NBC shows: Bionic Woman, Life, Chuck, and Journeyman. More networks and other shows coming soon!
(Photos courtesy NBC.com)
(S02E10) When HBO failed to renew Carnivale for a third season a few years back I was absolutely outraged. Carnivale was like a lover to me. Sexy, intelligent, mysterious, and beautiful in a bright but dirty way - all attributes of a good mate in my book.
To this day, it remains the only show I ever coordinated a watch party for which is saying a lot because I like a lot of shows, and I still quote Brother Justin's "Be Still!" line when I want someone to shut their mouth. Needless to say, I was pretty much heartbroken when the show was cancelled but I didn't go down without a fight.
- At 7, CBS has a new 60 Minutes, followed by new episodes of The Amazing Race, Cold Case, and Without A Trace.
- ABC has a new America's Funniest Home Videos at 7, then a new Extreme Makeover.
- There's a new Dateline on NBC at 7, then the finale of Grease: You're The One That I Want.
- At 7:30, FOX has a new War At Home, then new episodes of The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Family Guy, and American Dad.
- At 8, Lifetime has the new movie Abducted.
- At 9, Sci-Fi has a new Dresden Files, then a new Battlestar Galactica.
- HBO has the series finale of Rome at 9.
- At 10, NBC has a new episode of The Apprentice.
- MSNBC repeats this morning's Meet The Press at 10, if you missed it.
- Also at 10: Showtime has a new ep of The L Word.
Check your local TV listings for more.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Orphan Black' Episode 3.7 Photos: Will Alison Win the Election for School Trustee?
- Summer 2015's Sexiest Stars: TV's Hottest Women
- [Video] 'The Bachelorette': Did One of Kaitlyn's Suitors Fall in Love with Another Guy?
- 'Bones' Exclusive Interview: The Writers Talk Brennan and Booth's Future and a Whirlpool Death
- Did 'Kardashians' Star Bruce Jenner Undergo Sex Change Surgery?
- More From BuddyTV
- Denise Richards Going Full Cougar for New CW Comedy Significant Mother
- Longmire Season 4: Ally Walker Lands Mystery Role, as Series Heads to Netflix
- So You Think You Can Dance: Season 12's Judges (and Mentors) Get Glam!
- TVLine Items: Jimmy Smits Gets Down, Grace and Frankie Renewed and More
- T.J. Miller's The Gorburger Show Gobbles Up Pilot Order at HBO
- More From TVLine
- Amy Schumer Goes After Bill Cosby During 'Inside Amy Schumer'
- Bruce Jenner Responds to Wrongful Death Suit
- Cher, 69, Is Fiercer Than Ever as the New Face of Marc Jacobs
- Bette Midler Weighs In on Josh Duggar Scandal, Calls Allegations Ironic
- The Story of Two Sisters Trying to Return a Lost Camera Full of 'Precious Memories' to Its Rightful Owner
- More From ET