ronald d. moore
Stop. You had us at Ron Moore, then you throw in magic!? We're so there.
According to Entertainment Weekly, the project described as "Harry Potter for grown-ups" follows a police squad in the fictional town of Excelsior.
In other TV news ...
• Annie Ilonzeh has landed an angelic role in ABC's 'Charlie's Angels' reboot. The 'General Hospital' star will play Kate, a smart, athletic ex-cop who just so happens to be a martial arts expert. No word on the other two Angels. [Deadline Hollywood]
• Sheila Kelley has landed a key role on 'Gossip Girl.' Kelley, who was recently seen on 'Lost,' will play Carol, Lily's sister. Illeana Douglas was cast, but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. [TVLine]
• Jonathan Banks will play Jay's brother on 'Modern Family.' The 'Wiseguy' actor will appear in late February or March. [TVLine]
According to Deadline Hollywood, Shankar and Moore will write and executive produce the remake. The remake will follow two Secret Service Agents as investigate crimes in a post-Civil War America.
CBS struck ratings gold with a remake of 'Hawaii Five-0' and looks to be trying to do the same with 'Wild Wild West.'
In other TV news ...
• 'American Idol' runner-up Crystal Bowersox will release her new album Dec. 14. 'Farmer's Daughter' will feature 12 tracks including a cover of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth." [E! Online]
• 'Glee' might not do a tribute episode in its post-Super Bowl slot. After mediocre reviews to its last themed episodes, producers are reportedly mulling over doing a normal episode with songs from various artists. [Movieline]
• 'Celebrity Apprentice' contestant and rapper Lil Jon has put his unique stamp on the iconic 'Sesame Street' theme. Warning, it's pretty profane, but still enjoyable. Thanks to Vulture for the find. Check it out below.
According to Deadline Hollywood, Moore's two-year deal will see him and his production company, Tall Ships Prods., create projects for both cable and broadcast. Moore was previously involved in three deals with NBC Universal's Universal Media Studios, the home of 'Battlestar' and its spin-off 'Caprica.'
We have a sneak peek of this Friday's ep, titled "End of the Line" that features Barnabus (James Marsters) clashing with Clarice (Polly Walker). Watch it below and see if you can tell which one of these fanatical religious terrorists is crazier than the other.
Friday's season-ender will offer plenty of STO action, but we'll also see some major drama between Daniel (Eric Stoltz) and Zoe (Alessandra Torresani) at Casa Graystone. According to Syfy, Daniel plans to "reset" the Zoebot, which could end Avatar Zoe's existence for good. She tries to escape before the shutdown, but not everything goes to plan.
The first episode airs tonight at 9PM ET on Syfy, and in it, Daniel (Eric Stoltz) is convinced that Zoe's (Alessandra Torresani) avatar is hiding in the robot and conducts a series of dangerous tests to flush her out.
AOL TV caught up with Torresani and show creators Ronald D. Moore and David Eick on the red carpet of Tuesday night's Syfy Channel upfront presentation to get the scoop on where the rest of the season is going.
In a recent video interview (embedded after the jump), series creator Ron Moore said that the end point of the series isn't clear yet. The writers still haven't decided how far they want to take the story. Moore did promise that we'd see Zoe's avatar "progress." He also revealed that we might eventually see her "in the flesh as it were, in the real world."
Fox showed little faith in the intriguing drama that followed a crew of astronauts haunted by a malfunctioning VR system and a bit of space madness. After ordering several changes to the show in order to make it more "mainstream," the network scrapped plans for a full series and dumped the premiere on a random Friday night last June with little promotion.
Needless to say, nobody watched.
The new 'Caprica' poster tells us "The Future of Humanity Begins with a Choice," and now The Hollywood Reporter reports that future is in the hands of Kevin Murphy. Murphy has been named the day-to-day showrunner of the new sci-fi series and will executive produce along with Ronald D. Moore, David Eick and Jane Epenson.
Murphy has several television credits on his resume, having recently served as an executive producer on 'Valentine,' a consulting producer on 'Reaper' and a co-executive producer on 'Desperate Housewives.' He also served as executive producer on 'Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical,' which he also wrote.
Kat succumbed to radiation poisoning after flying her last mission in season three of BSG. Carro will most likely be playing a new character on Caprica, since the show takes place more than fifty years before the events of BSG. The news has fans wondering whether or not Carro's Caprica character will be related to Kat.
You'd think, given how the relaunch of Battlestar Galactica renewed interest in mature, complex science fiction that Fox would have more faith in the series. They were probably looking for something akin to 24 and all they got was a bunch of crew members playing video games on a long space mission.
On the other hand, the show could legitimately suck. I would tend to doubt it as I've always liked Moore's work on the Star Trek franchise and certainly BSG. Caprica wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but it's only the pilot.
In order for Virtuality to have any chance of survival than all it has to do is get good ratings on a Fox Friday night during the summer. Yeah, good luck with that.
Our pals at Airlock Alpha recently gave us hope about the series getting be picked up. This weekend, they pointed us to a blog post by Doug Drexler, the CG supervisor for the Virtuality pilot. Here's what Drexler posted:
Fox reportedly ordered a bunch of changes to the show last December, hoping to make it more of a mainstream drama. Now, some folks, like our buddies at Airlock Alpha, seemed convinced that airing the pilot on July 4 is a sign that Fox has already given up on Virtuality.
Ron Moore's directorial debut! It was a good one (although not as good as last week). It probably helped that he also wrote the episode.
A long-nagging question of mine was answered in tonight's episode: if Cylons can't procreate and Tyrol was a Cylon, then how could he have a kid with Cally? The answer was that the kid wasn't his. It does leave the question of Tigh and Six's baby. Can the Final Five procreate with other Cylons? And who is that guy that is the father of Cally's son? I didn't recognize him. Has he appeared previously? This plot point seemed out of the blue. Also, they seem certain that Tigh is the father, but could it possibly be Baltar instead?
After a log day of being in Hall H and Ballroom 20, things started to come to an end for the busiest day of the 'Con with the Battlestar Galactica panel. Basically, if didn't already have your arse planted in a seat in Ballroom 20 for that panel, you weren't getting to see BSG. I'm either completely dedicated to the coverage for TV Squad or a complete fanboy for the show. I submit that I'm likely both.
I'm not going to post the full, detailed report yet, as Sci Fi has told me we'll have embeddable video to show you soon (here it is on SciFI.com). Seriously, there's no way I can put to justice the funny job that Kevin Smith did as moderator -- you have to see and hear it for yourself. I will, however, submit to you the highlights for now.
On Inseparable, Yoba and Kole will play detectives: Yoba, an officer who works with the main character but is unaware of his condition; Kole, a young officer ready to move on up.
Erik Jensen, Jose Pablo Cantillo, and Clea DuVall were added to Fox's two-hour pilot Virtuality. The show is set on the Phaeton, a starship exploring other solar systems. Jensen of The Bronx is Burning will play the ship's navigator. Cantillo of Standoff will play a mathematician. And DuVall, who was in Heroes and starred in Carnivale, will play Jensen's co-pilot.
What do you think of these new pilots?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Heroes Reborn' Episode 4 Photos: Needs of the Many
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of ?Crew?s All In'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 20 Moments of a Post-Elena Life from the Season 7 Premiere
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Brother in the Basement'
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 22 Episode 10 Photos: The Models Shoot a Music Video
- More From BuddyTV
- How Did Arrow's Canary Suit Up So Fast? Is Quantico Hair Criminally Good? Where Are Grey's Kids? And More TV Qs
- Reign 'Shocker': Francis Dying in Season 3, EP Confirms
- Kevin James Returns to CBS as Star of New Family Comedy
- The Walking Dead: Fresh Intel on Negan's Arrival (Plus a Sorta-Confirmation From EP Scott Gimple)
- Pretty Little Liars @ NY Comic-Con: Season 6B Premiere Date, 'Ezria's Status, Hanna's 'Baby' and More Scoop
- More From TVLine
- Robin Williams Brings the Laughs in Never-Before-Seen 'Aladdin' Footage -- Watch!
- Katie Holmes Reveals What She and Her Sisters Looked Like in 1995 With Amazing Throwback Photo
- Selena Gomez Opens Up About Her Struggle With Lupus to Ellen DeGeneres
- Shakira Flaunts Her Perfect Abs Just 8 Months After Giving Birth
- Over 40 Bikini Bods
- More From ET