First off, it was a great episode. Dwight shooting Roy in the eyes, all the Toby/Michael stuff (Toby is truly one of the great characters on TV right now), and Ed Helms returning at the end (which I didn't see coming) were all really funny moments. But I'm wondering: was the show really "supersized?"
Oh, I know it was longer. It started at 8pm and got over at 8:40, so it was longer in length, but didn't it seem like there were more commercials than usual? And what about that 4 minute long commercial for 30 Rock? Sure, they increase the length of the episode by 10 minutes, but 4 of those minutes are for an extended promo for another one of NBC's shows? It seemed to be shoved in there and was rather distracting.
Tonight's Office suffered that same predictable letdown, but still found a whole bunch of enjoyable moments (mostly thanks to the supporting players).
Here's a shocking thing that a lot of TV executives seem to not be able to understand: when you get really talented writers and allow them to work with really talented actors, good things will happen. You don't really need to over think the equation. The Office consistently manages to dazzle us with little more than well written scripts executed by great actors. You don't need mythology or gimmicks... just talent.
All right, the fawning is making even me sick. On to the episode...
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Voice': Tessanne Chin talks 'therapeutic' semi-finals performance, brunch at Adam Levine's house
- 'Doctor Who': Steven Moffat says Matt Smith is final Doctor, what about Peter Capaldi?
- 'WWE RAW' Dec. 9: Daniel Bryan dominates the Slammy Awards and the show
- 'The Sing-Off': Meet Home Free, the first country a cappella group
- 'Sing-Off': Princeton Footnotes''I Knew You Were Trouble' not enough to save them
- More From Zap2it
- What to Watch Tuesday: Sons of Anarchy and 3 Other Finales, a Chicago Fire Fight and More
- The Sing-Off Season 4 Premiere Recap: For Whom the A Capella Tolls
- Sleepy Hollow Fall Finale Recap: Six Thousand Little Ichabods
- The Voice Season 5 Semifinal Performance Recap: Keep Calm and 'Carry On' [Updated]
- Sleepy Hollow: More Corbin? Suspect Sin Eater? An Ichabbie Weekend? And More Burning Qs
- More From TVLine