s. epatha merkerson
Cast departures and changes within the 'Law & Order' franchise are are a dime a dozen these days. So much so that most fans tend not to notice when they occur. The exception is when a long-running cast member decides to step down. Fans take notice then because, frankly, there aren't too many more long-running cast members left in the franchise (except the amazingly stable group at 'Special Victims Unit.'
This time the honor goes to S. Epatha Merkerson, who plays Lieutenant Van Buren in the original 'Law & Order'. After 16 years, the actress has decided to leave the series at the end of this season.
Merkerson, who plays Lt. Anita Van Buren, told Ausiello, "It's the end of my contract this year, and the storyline has been so perfect. I've given it my best for 16 years. It's time to move on. I'm doing other things and this will be a great way to leave what has been an extraordinary gig."
Merkerson added that she made the decision around midseason "when I realized my contract was up. And I just looked at the things that I've been doing, and the show takes a lot of commitment. And I just feel like I wanted to do some other things."
To read the full interview, click here.
Television has always been good to the ladies. Actresses have flourished in dramatic series, and in the past decade, we've seen some amazing performances. There have been lawyers, cops, a U.S. president, nurses, doctors, judges, mothers, daughters and even a real housewife from New Jersey whose husband was in the waste disposal business.
Many of these women have already been honored with Emmys and Golden Globes... and now they get the recognition of TV Squad.
Here, then, without further vamping, the best dramatic actresses of the past ten years:
Ernie Hudson is joining the show for several episodes. He'll play a guy that's "the love of her life."
The 12th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards were held tonight. We listed the nominees in television categories earlier this month, and here are the winners:
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Paul Newman / Empire Falls
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: S. Epatha Merkerson / Lackawanna Blues
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Kiefer Sutherland / 24
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh / Grey's Anatomy
Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series: Sean Hayes / Will & Grace
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series: Felicity Huffman / Desperate Housewives
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Lost
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Desperate Housewives
See the full list (including the winners in movie categories) at TBS.com [Thanks Seth!]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.2 Photos: NFL Star Tony Gonzalez Guest Stars
- 'The Strain' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Big Brother 16' Spoilers: Who Won Part 2 of the Final HoH Competition?
- 'America's Next Top Model' Cycle 21 Epsode 6 Photos: The Art of the Hair Flip
- 'Big Brother 16' Clip Show Recap: The Final 3 Look Back at the Season
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Upon a Time Drafts Army Wives' Sally Pressman in Season 4
- TVLine's Performers of the Week (tie): Jenna Coleman and Tobias Menzies
- Summer TV's 26 Winners and Losers: True Blood, OITNB, Outlander and More
- NCIS Casts 24 Alum Marisol Nichols as a Blast from DiNozzo's Past
- The Blacklist Season 2 Trailer Teases Red Vs. Berlin Showdown
- More From TVLine
- Zoe Saldana Does a Pregnant Pole Dance
- Jennifer Lawrence Supports Chris Martin at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Luke Bryan Makes a Dying Teenager's Wish Come True
- 'Madam Secretary' Review: A Solid Start for Téa Leoni's Political Drama
- Exclusive Clip: Did 'Angels' Save Woman from Plane Disaster?
- More From ET