sanford and son
1. 'The Brady Bunch' -- The standard-bearer for all future visits to Hawaii. This three-part 'Hawaii Bound' episode, which began the show's fourth season, had everything: luscious scenery, a cursed tiki, creepy caves, straight hair going curly, Don Ho, Vincent Price and Marsha Brady in a bikini. Even today, almost four decades since the episodes premiered, folks will stop everything when they air.
Ruben died Jan. 30 in Beverly Hills from complications of pneumonia, according to EW.com. He was 95. Blitzer died Jan. 27 in Santa Monica from complications after abdominal surgery. He was 80.
Our list of the best shows of the '70s features many of the best shows of all time (here's looking at you, 'Mary Tyler Moore Show,' 'M*A*S*H' and 'Taxi'). Take a gander and let us know if you agree.
Paste has the latest list, their 40 best TV theme songs of all-time. Oh, we could talk about this for hours (and we probably will), but there are four thoughts that come immediately to mind after reading all 40 choices:
Wow, if you bought all of the complete series sets being released this week you'd have a great start for your TV DVD collection: NewsRadio, The Flintstones, The 4400, Sanford and Son, and several others. The NewsRadio set doesn't have anything that wasn't in the individual sets, but it's a great buy if you don't have all of the seasons. The Mystery Science Theater 3000 set (the one with the collectible Crow and lobby cards) might already be sold out, so I'd check on that. I used to watch Zoom back in the 70s, though I can't imagine buying the DVD set.
I don't think I've ever seen The Doris Day Show, but it looks like something I might have to have.
- The 4400 - Complete Series
- Cathouse - Complete Series
- Dark Shadows - Vol. 6: Episodes 179-209
- The Donna Reed Show - Season 1
- The Doris Day Show - Christmas Memories
- Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman - Complete Series
- The Flintstones - Complete Series
- Girlfriends - Season 5
- Good Times - Complete Series
- The Little Rascals - Complete Collection
- The L Word - Season 5
- Millennium - Complete Series
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 - 20th Anniversary Set
- NewsRadio - Complete Series
- Sanford and Son - Complete Series
- Sister, Sister - Season 1
- War and Remembrance - Season 1
- Zoom - Back to the 70s
Does this really surprise anyone? Sanford and Son, Redd Foxx's sitcom from the 1970s, might be made into a feature film with Bernie Mac taking on the role of Fred Sanford popularized by the late Foxx. The film has been kicking around the studios for a few years now, and is currently at Sony. Nick Cannon is also slated to play Lamont Sanford, Fred's son.
I'm not a big fan of TV to movie adaptations, but I do recognize that sometimes they can work. The movie Charlie's Angels, which I found rather insipid, was at least based on three crime-fighting chicks, a concept that lends itself to a full-length movie. I'm just not sure how Sanford and Son could be stretched beyond half an hour, taking into consideration the show was essentially built around Foxx and his comedy. The show could have taken place in a bicycle repair shop and I don't think it would have made much difference. Unless some filmmaker out there has something truly amazing in mind for this flick, it seems better to just let it go.
I took this quiz over at Mental Floss and scored 100%. You have to match the sitcom with the house/setting they show in the opening credits.
By the way, I'm not bragging about that score, the test is just incredibly easy, especially since two of the pictures are very, very easy to identify, which means you can guess the others by process of elimination, if you don't know one or two of them. I mean, one of the shows is The Love Boat, so you know there's going to be a boat involved, right?
This might prove to be very satisfying, that you know you TV homes as much as you do your own. On the other hand, it might be kind of scary that somewhere in your mind you have actually memorized what sitcom family homes look like (and from shows that you probably haven't seen in a long time).
Also, just so you know, scroll down very slowly and stop when you get to the sitcom names. If you go any further you'll see the answers, and you don't want that to happen.
[via Pop Candy]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of 'Always the Bridesmaid'
- [Videos] 'Glee': Klaine Gets Stuck in an Elevator
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Mid-Season Premiere
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Moments of Love and Sacrifice from 'Prayer for the Dying'
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- More From BuddyTV
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer: Danerys' Destiny, Tyrion in Exile
- Ratings: Grey's, Scandal Return Up; Parenthood Finale and Mom Hit Highs
- World's Funniest Fails Sneak Peek: Fall Under the Spell of Adorable Puppies!
- LOL Video: Jimmy Kimmel Live & Friends Take the Air Out of Deflategate
- 'Super' NBC Promos: The Voice Meets Mad Max, The Blacklist, NPH and More
- More From TVLine