More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. Here, we talk about a major category that came of age in the aughts: Reality shows.
While I would never call myself a reality TV junkie, it really bugs me when people make blanket statements like, "I hate reality TV," or, "Reality TV is the bane of my existence." The genre has grown so much in the past decade that it has become just like scripted television, in that there's good and there's bad. Even though we're splitting this up into two lists, "Reality," and "Trashy Reality," you won't see a single show that starts with, "Who Wants to Marry" on either list.
This list is dedicated not to the guilty pleasures, but to the shows that you wouldn't be embarrassed for your neighbors to know you watch: the classy reality, if you will. So without further ado, here is TV Squad's list of the best reality shows of the decade.
RuPaul has said that the two shows aren't interchangeable and it's true: Drag Race is colorful, fun, and intriguing; qualities that Top Model has lost after all these years. Here are several good reasons why Top Model isn't on top anymore.
Bingham, who played Jordin Tate on Baywatch, has also appeared on VH1's Surreal Life 2 and Celebrity Boot Camp. Rice appeared on the second season of Project Runway and finished in the semi-finals. Bonaduce was on VH1's Breaking Bonaduce which chronicled the life of her husband and former child-star Danny Bonaduce.
That's it? They need to get some Idol alums in there. I'm thinking Sanjaya, just so the rest of the cast can ridicule him. Also, I would love to see one of the guys from I Love New York. Say, Mr. Boston? Who would you like to see on Gimme My Reality Show?
Gimme My Reality Show will premiere on October 11th at midnight, right after the Fox Reality Really Awards.
By the way, I had no idea Season Two's Santino Rice was the one who encouraged Sebelia to audition for the program, let alone the fact that the two are buddies. I guess that's where Sebelia learned that the "cocky bastard" act would pay off.
Project Runway's Jay McCarroll on Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn steals Bravo job from five queer guys
Here are some points that I found extremely interesting:
- The winner was originally going to be Daniel Vosovic, but Nina Garcia turned the whole thing around after she went into a huge speech about how wonderful Chloe Dao was. Snarl, snarl. We members of Team Vosovic are furious.
- Daniel's turned into a bit of a diva? Wow.
- Tim thinks that Santino Rice's impression of him was spot-on. "There would be times when I would be watching Season 2 shows and I would hear my voice offscreen and I would think, is that me or Santino?"
- Tim liked Kara Janx's "decoy" collection more than those of the actual three finalists.
If you've never seen the program before, I suggest you jump on the bandwagon with the first episode. It really is the classiest reality show on television.
Chloe wins! Chloe? Chloe. I didn't really want Chloe to win. I really liked her stuff in the beginning, but I absolutely hated her collection for Fashion Week. I know the judges kept saying how much she "knows women" and understands a "woman's body", but my body doesn't look like a couch. I'm not a La-Z-Boy recliner and no way would I want to be covered with half of that dreadful stuff she used. Everything was so heavy and overdone. I know that fashion shows are supposed to be about drama and "the show", but I found her stuff borderline laughable. It looked like the 1980s barfed all over her collection. And I thought her 13th outfit was stupid, especially those pockets that Diana slaved over. I just have so many mixed feelings about Chloe winning because while I like her, I don't love her.
Do you like spoilers? C'mon. I bet you're dying to see what the designers have created... If you'd prefer to find out on your own, look away. If you'd like to be sneaky, check out this brief recap from Yahoo! (thanks, Martha!). Or, you can come look at some pictures I dug up from Fashion Week and take a real peek at the collections that they presented...
Now, check this out... I found something to top it! I was looking for some Daniel Vosovic pictures (go Team Vosovic!) and came across a behind-the-scenes video of Daniel asking Santino to do an impression of Tim singing Nine Inch Nails' "Closer". I have no words except: Ell-oh-ell semi-colon shift-dee. Trust me, you must see it for yourself.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Cast Photos
- 'Red Band Society' Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 19 Shocking Moments from 'Turn'
- [Video] 'The Mindy Project' Season 3 Preview: Awkward Sex, Gossip and Danny's Special Skills
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19 Premiere Performance Rankings
- More From BuddyTV
- Video: Great Scot! Kevin McKidd Gives Franklin & Bash a Royal Ultimatum
- TVLine Items: Wallenda Walks Chicago, Big View Ratings, DIG Delay and More
- Mindy Project: Pop-Up Exes, a Killer Cousin and 6 More Season 3 Nuggets
- Thursday Night Football Spikes Rihanna Song After Public Clash With Singer
- Hannibal Video: The Dangerous 'Allure' of the Plastic Kill Suit
- More From TVLine