By the way, he was a dog who changed into the superhero by going into a filing cabinet. Seriously.
There are two cartoons I remember very fondly and distinctly from my days as a youngster. Both of them ceased production before I was born, but I gobbled them up in reruns. The first was Underdog, and the second was Hong Kong Phooey. So, naturally, I was ecstatic when I found out that all thirty-one episodes of Hong Kong Phooey, a Hanna-Barbera cartoon which featured Scatman Crothers as the voice of an inept crime-fighting dog who knows kung fu, would be coming out on DVD on August 15. Of course, when Phooey wasn't fighting crime he worked as mild-mannered (all super hero alter egos are mild-mannered) janitor Penrod "Penry" Pooch. The DVD set will also feature a documentary on the making of the series.
Oh yeah, and the complete series of Magilla Gorilla comes out on the same day, but I never watched that.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 7.4 Photos: The Heaven and Hell Ball
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.4 Photos: What Does Wes Find Out About Rebecca's 'Disappearance'?
- 'Bones' Recap: A Grieving and Ballsy Hero Comes Home
- 'Arrow' Season 4 Premiere: 17 Shocking Moments from 'Green Arrow'
- 'Criminal Minds': The 9 Moments Leading Up to the UnSub's Final Plan in 'The Witness'
- More From BuddyTV
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Maybe Baby
- Bones Boss on [Spoiler]'s Split, New Loves, Reigniting Booth/Brennan's Fire
- Vampire Diaries Premiere: EP Explains Enzo's Choice, Caroline's Confession and the Salvatores' Future Threat
- Pretty Little Liars' New Intro: See All 5 Girls in the Season 6B Title Sequence
- The Voice: Pre-Battle Rounds Rankings for Each Season 9 Team
- More From TVLine
- Nick Cannon's Kids Took Him to Chuck E. Cheese's for His 35th Birthday and It's Adorable
- Snooki Gets Candid About Her Post-Birth Bod: It Was 'Just a Big, Black Hole'
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt on Life as a New Dad: 'It Makes Me Really Happy'
- Jack Black on Losing His Brother to AIDS: 'The Worst Thing I Can Possibly Imagine'
- Are Drake and Serena Williams Engaged? Not So Fast...
- More From ET