By the way, he was a dog who changed into the superhero by going into a filing cabinet. Seriously.
There are two cartoons I remember very fondly and distinctly from my days as a youngster. Both of them ceased production before I was born, but I gobbled them up in reruns. The first was Underdog, and the second was Hong Kong Phooey. So, naturally, I was ecstatic when I found out that all thirty-one episodes of Hong Kong Phooey, a Hanna-Barbera cartoon which featured Scatman Crothers as the voice of an inept crime-fighting dog who knows kung fu, would be coming out on DVD on August 15. Of course, when Phooey wasn't fighting crime he worked as mild-mannered (all super hero alter egos are mild-mannered) janitor Penrod "Penry" Pooch. The DVD set will also feature a documentary on the making of the series.
Oh yeah, and the complete series of Magilla Gorilla comes out on the same day, but I never watched that.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.23 Photos: The Team Closes in on the Terrorist Group Recruiting Children
- 'Game of Thrones': Top 10 Barristan Selmy Moments
- 'Once Upon a Time' Season 4 Finale Photos: Can Henry Save His Family in Time?
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Results: A Huge Double Elimination
- 'The Voice' Live Blog Results: The Top 5 are Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Syfy, Steven Spielberg's Amblin Team for Brave New World TV Adaptation
- Idol's Tyanna Jones Talks 'Tightrope,''Stay,' and Audition-Round Struggles
- The Originals First Look: Claire Holt Returns for Final Battle With Dahlia
- TVLine Items: Shonda Rhimes on FX, New Vikings Cast and More
- Mysteries of Laura Sneak Peek: Why Is Frankie Muniz Being Held at Gunpoint?
- More From TVLine
- Taya Kyle Remembers Her Last Moments With Husband Chris Kelly: Read an Excerpt From 'American Wife'
- Queen Elizabeth Meets Princess Charlotte
- Tom Hardy Says His Voice Was the Hardest Part of 'Mad Max'
- Todrick Hall Says New Video Will Be 'Titanic'-Inspired, Talks Confiding in Ariana Grande
- Star Sightings May 2015
- More From ET