We've written about the supermarket coffee brand's saccharine-sweet advertising before. But one thing we haven't explored with their "playing to middle America" series of ads is how poorly women come off in most of them.
Take this ad that debuted late in 2009 and has been airing incessantly ever since:
At first, it looks like a sweet and kind of old-fashioned spot, with a well-meaning if slightly over-protective dad telling his little girl that her new fiance went to him for his blessing to take her hand in marriage. But one line in the ad drives me batty: After the dad says to his daughter that she was out late the night before, she holds out the ring and says "well, you're not gonna have to worry about that anymore."
Today, coach Vivian Stringer and ten players will appear on Oprah via satellite. It's only the second time they have spoken out in response to Imus' April 4th comments. Yesterday, the coach and several players said they found Imus' comments to be hurtful and insensitive.
Does Imus also deserve a live-via-satellite interview with Oprah?
(S17E19) "Honey, you're just as smart as a man. Sometimes when I'm with you I feel like I'm doing it with a dude." --Homer, to Marge
Last night's episode grew on me slowly. To quote Lisa from an early episode, it started off kind of "meh" but by the end I was drawn into its hysterical appraisal of both sexes and their inherent flaws. The Itchy and Scratchy musical at the beginning had some moments that cracked me up, but spoofing the Lion King musical seems like an idea whose time had passed long ago.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Walking Dead': 17 Signs Humanity Remains from 'Crossed'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Predictions: Who Will Be the Final 3?
- Caroline Manzo Returning to 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey'
- 'The Good Wife' Mid-Season Finale Recap: Does Cary Take the Plea Deal?
- 'The Walking Dead' Recap: Rick Prepares to Make a Trade
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot Scoop: Michael Stahl-David to Star in TNT's '70s Drug Drama
- Emily Wickersham Talks NCIS Holiday Drama, Gibbs' Big Reveal to Bishop
- Ratings: AMAs Slip, Football Pops, Mulaney Down, Madam Sec'y Eyes Gain
- The Originals Scoop: Will the Holidays Bring Hayley and Elijah Back Together?
- More From TVLine
- Russell Brand Takes on Justin Bieber & the Media in Exclusive Clip
- Snooki Celebrates Turns 27 at Extravagant Wedding Rehearsal
- Katie Holmes Reveals Suri's Surprising Christmas List
- JWoww Gets Huge Tattoo In Honor of Daughter
- 'Faking It' Sneak Peek: Everyone Hates Liam (Including a 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Star!)
- More From ET