We've written about the supermarket coffee brand's saccharine-sweet advertising before. But one thing we haven't explored with their "playing to middle America" series of ads is how poorly women come off in most of them.
Take this ad that debuted late in 2009 and has been airing incessantly ever since:
At first, it looks like a sweet and kind of old-fashioned spot, with a well-meaning if slightly over-protective dad telling his little girl that her new fiance went to him for his blessing to take her hand in marriage. But one line in the ad drives me batty: After the dad says to his daughter that she was out late the night before, she holds out the ring and says "well, you're not gonna have to worry about that anymore."
Today, coach Vivian Stringer and ten players will appear on Oprah via satellite. It's only the second time they have spoken out in response to Imus' April 4th comments. Yesterday, the coach and several players said they found Imus' comments to be hurtful and insensitive.
Does Imus also deserve a live-via-satellite interview with Oprah?
(S17E19) "Honey, you're just as smart as a man. Sometimes when I'm with you I feel like I'm doing it with a dude." --Homer, to Marge
Last night's episode grew on me slowly. To quote Lisa from an early episode, it started off kind of "meh" but by the end I was drawn into its hysterical appraisal of both sexes and their inherent flaws. The Itchy and Scratchy musical at the beginning had some moments that cracked me up, but spoofing the Lion King musical seems like an idea whose time had passed long ago.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow': 17 Truths, Secrets, Lies and Surprises from 'Corto Maltese'
- 'Bones': 7 Reasons Why Aubrey Kicks Ass and Fits Right In
- 'Project Runway' Finale Prediction: Who Will Win Season 13?
- 'Bachelor' Roundup: Andi and Josh Invite Exes to Wedding, Desiree and Chris Set the Date
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Bruce's Rumored Girlfriend, Kris' Thoughts on Bruce and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Fall TV's Best Makeovers: Trim Tony, Edgy Thea, a Modern Hook and Others
- Pilot Scoop: ABC Eyes Marc Cherry's Modern Phantom of the Opera Drama
- TVLine Items: Courtney Love Joins Empire, a Buffy Halloween and More
- Sons of Anarchy: Gemma Teller Is a Mass Murderer — and We Have Proof
- House of Lies Recruits Mary McCormack as Marty's Potential Savior
- More From TVLine
- NFL Players Say 'No More' to Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault in Powerful PSA
- Paul Reubens: Pee-wee Herman Movie is 'Imminent' – See What He Said in 1987!
- Jennifer Love Hewitt to Sissy Spacek: Hollywood's Top 5 Scream Queens
- Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- TLC 'Reassessing' Future of 'Honey Boo Boo' After Child Molestation Allegations Surface
- More From ET