We've written about the supermarket coffee brand's saccharine-sweet advertising before. But one thing we haven't explored with their "playing to middle America" series of ads is how poorly women come off in most of them.
Take this ad that debuted late in 2009 and has been airing incessantly ever since:
At first, it looks like a sweet and kind of old-fashioned spot, with a well-meaning if slightly over-protective dad telling his little girl that her new fiance went to him for his blessing to take her hand in marriage. But one line in the ad drives me batty: After the dad says to his daughter that she was out late the night before, she holds out the ring and says "well, you're not gonna have to worry about that anymore."
Today, coach Vivian Stringer and ten players will appear on Oprah via satellite. It's only the second time they have spoken out in response to Imus' April 4th comments. Yesterday, the coach and several players said they found Imus' comments to be hurtful and insensitive.
Does Imus also deserve a live-via-satellite interview with Oprah?
(S17E19) "Honey, you're just as smart as a man. Sometimes when I'm with you I feel like I'm doing it with a dude." --Homer, to Marge
Last night's episode grew on me slowly. To quote Lisa from an early episode, it started off kind of "meh" but by the end I was drawn into its hysterical appraisal of both sexes and their inherent flaws. The Itchy and Scratchy musical at the beginning had some moments that cracked me up, but spoofing the Lion King musical seems like an idea whose time had passed long ago.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 9 Performance Rankings
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Finale Mystery: Charles is A, But Who is Charles?
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'Suicidal Tendencies'
- 'The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Season 6: Who Should Stay and Who Should Go?
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Paint It Black'
- More From BuddyTV
- House of Cards Boss Beau Willimon Responds to My Biggest (and Pretty Much Only) Gripe About Season 3
- Girl Meets World Finale Video: Riley's First Date Becomes a Public Affair
- TVLine Items: Nashville's Daddy Issues, GoT Actor Meets Super Clyde and More
- CSI's William Petersen Eyes TV Return With Major Manhattan Gig
- General Hospital Anniversary Promo Teases Reveal of Luke's Dark Secret
- More From TVLine
- Nick Jonas on Zayn Malik Leaving One Direction: 'It's a Tough World'
- Ashton Kutcher Is Punk'ing People Again
- Kendall Jenner Lands Her Own Calvin Klein Jeans Campaign
- Rihanna Releases New Song 'Bitch Better Have My Money' (After Making Her Fans Really Mad)
- Ed Sheeran Surprises Couple and Becomes the Best Wedding Singer of All Time
- More From ET