We've written about the supermarket coffee brand's saccharine-sweet advertising before. But one thing we haven't explored with their "playing to middle America" series of ads is how poorly women come off in most of them.
Take this ad that debuted late in 2009 and has been airing incessantly ever since:
At first, it looks like a sweet and kind of old-fashioned spot, with a well-meaning if slightly over-protective dad telling his little girl that her new fiance went to him for his blessing to take her hand in marriage. But one line in the ad drives me batty: After the dad says to his daughter that she was out late the night before, she holds out the ring and says "well, you're not gonna have to worry about that anymore."
Today, coach Vivian Stringer and ten players will appear on Oprah via satellite. It's only the second time they have spoken out in response to Imus' April 4th comments. Yesterday, the coach and several players said they found Imus' comments to be hurtful and insensitive.
Does Imus also deserve a live-via-satellite interview with Oprah?
(S17E19) "Honey, you're just as smart as a man. Sometimes when I'm with you I feel like I'm doing it with a dude." --Homer, to Marge
Last night's episode grew on me slowly. To quote Lisa from an early episode, it started off kind of "meh" but by the end I was drawn into its hysterical appraisal of both sexes and their inherent flaws. The Itchy and Scratchy musical at the beginning had some moments that cracked me up, but spoofing the Lion King musical seems like an idea whose time had passed long ago.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Tonight Show Video: Jimmy Fallon and Jack Black Recreate '90s Hair Band Hit
- Castle Recap: Not Ready for Crimetime — Plus, Did Martha Move You?
- The Voice Recap: Pumped-Up Six
- Vera Farmiga and Nestor Carbonell Bicker About the Bates Motel Brawl That Left One of Them Hurting
- Gotham Finale Post Mortem: Scoop on Bruce's Discovery, Fish's Fate, The Riddler's Mania, Mr. Freeze and More
- More From TVLine
- Ellen Albertini Dow, ‘The Wedding Singer' Rapping Grandmother, Dies at 101
- Ryan Gosling Eats His Cereal in Touching Tribute to Meme Creator
- Amy Adams Marries Darren Le Gallo After Being Engaged for 7 Years
- Robert Pattinson and FKA Twigs (in a Penis Dress) Make Their Red Carpet Debut as a Couple
- Was Justin Bieber the First Star to Break 'No Selfie' Rule at 2015 Met Gala?
- More From ET