PBS also has good news for 'Sherlock' fans. The 21st-century twist on Conan-Doyle's deerstalker-wearing detective will start its second season on PBS on Sunday May 6, 2012. Alas, it's only three episodes long, but fans can be assured that it should be a case of quality triumphing over quantity.
Other gems from the PBS spring lineup include a two-part examination of Bill Clinton's presidency, a look at some celebrity family trees by Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, and a series on American infrastructure, 'America Revealed,' hosted by winner of 'Survivor: Cook Islands,' Yul Kwon. More on these after the jump.
'Sherlock' won the coveted Best Drama Series Award, and Martin Freeman ('The Hobbit') won Best Supporting Actor for his role as Doctor Watson in the modern take on the 'Sherlock Holmes' mysteries.
However, Freeman's co-star Benedict Cumberbatch lost out in the Best Actor category to Daniel Rigby ('Flyboys') for his role as legendary British comedian Eric Morecambe in 'Eric & Ernie.' Rigby also beat out fan favorite, 'Doctor Who' star Matt Smith.
'Downton Abbey' was nominated for three major awards -- Best Drama Series, Best Supporting Actor and The Audience Award -- but failed to win any of them.
Well you get the first season of BBC's hit series, 'Sherlock.' This British series is based on classic Sherlock Holmes novels, but takes place in modern times. Because let's face it, if Sherlock Holmes had the Internet, his job might have been a tad bit easier back then.
We're giving away four copies of the critically-acclaimed 'Sherlock' -- two on DVD and two on Blu-ray.
Get more details about how to win, plus the complete list of DVD releases this week, after the jump!
Although there's a conspicuous absence of both corsets and Dame Judi Dench, PBS Masterpiece fans are still in for a treat this fall with a new crop of dramas from across the pond.
As reported in deadline.com, PBS has announced that the fall season will open Sun. Oct. 3 with 'Wallander.' This BBC adaptation of the bestselling Henning Mankell novels stars Kenneth Branagh as gloomy Swedish detective Kurt Wallander. Although this second season is darker in tone than the first, and Branagh was memorably described by one critic as "having the permanent mien of a recently slaughtered halibut," it won rave reviews and good ratings in the U.K.
The much-hyped 'Sherlock' follows, premiering Sun. Oct. 24. This modern-day reboot of the 'Sherlock Holmes' novels was a summer hit in the U.K. and has already been renewed for a second season. Created by Steven Moffat ('Doctor Who') and Mark Gatiss ('The League of Gentlemen') it stars up-and-comer Benedict Cumberbatch ('Atonement') as Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman ('Love Actually') as Dr. Watson.
The miniseries, starring 'Atonement's Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and 'The Office (UK)' vet Martin Freeman as Watson, transports Arthur Conan Doyle's classic characters to contemporary London, where they'll search for a clever killer who makes his murders look like suicides.
Head after the jump for the BBC's slick new promo to get an early taste of the new Holmes in action.
But, here's hoping the movie's success leads some folks back to rediscover the single greatest production of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories -- the Granada and PBS Sherlock Holmes series of the 80s.
To most Holmes fans, Jeremy Brett (right) was the perfect actor playing the role he was born to fill. He had the look, the voice and the mannerisms most readers envisioned when reading "The Red Headed League" or "The Speckled Band."
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Soul Survivor'
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.5 Photos: Nina Dobrev Visits as Original Doppelganger and Elijah's Love
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.4 Photos: Nyssa al Ghul Returns
- 'Constantine' Official Cast Photos
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.4 Photos: Elijah Teams Up With Marcel
- More From BuddyTV
- Sons of Anarchy Recap: Eye for an Eye
- Pretty Little Liars Video: 'A' Spreads Holiday Fear in New Christmas Promo
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Post Mortem: Bobbi's Status, Skye's Origin, Fitz's Fate and More Burning Qs Answered
- The Voice Recap: It's Just a Noisy Hall, Where There's a Nightly Brawl
- The Flash Recap: The 'Chosen' One
- More From TVLine
- The 6 Most Insanely Uncomfortable Moments From The 'True Tori' Season 2 Premiere
- Kelly Clarkson Performs Awesome Cover Of Sam Smith's 'Stay With Me'
- 'Pretty Little Liars': 23 Shocking Secrets We Learned From Watching The Halloween Special!
- Steve Carell Reveals Jennifer Garner's Guilty Pleasure at 'Elle' Women in Hollywood Awards
- What Two Playboy Bunnies - Now Grandmas - Can Still Teach You About Being Sexy
- More From ET