simon cowell leaving american idol
More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. Here, we talk about a very aught-like phenomenon: the cult of celebrity.
There is no clearer metaphor for the concept of being a celebrity than the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You work hard to chase your dream and achieve a career for yourself by making your name known to the masses of the universe.
Then when you've grabbed that star and become a regular fixture in the flash bulb of the press' cameras, how does the public honor your tireless toil and efforts? They throw you down on a sidewalk and walk all over you.
In the Aughts, however, a new celebrity oozed out of the primordial muck. A celebrity that still suffered the slings and arrows of the tabloid press and a complete loss of the right to privacy, but achieved their stardom by simply cutting out all that pesky hard work and tireless effort nonsense. These are the celebrities who became famous by simply because they were famous.
The judge's brother, Tony Cowell, leaked the news on his podcast that Cowell's people are preparing a press release announcing that 2010 will be the final year Cowell sits in the judging seat on AI.
But don't celebrate the death of the lumbering reality TV giant yet, all you AI lovers and haters. Cowell is stepping away from AI to focus on the importing an American version of The X Factor. So who should AI replacing the acerbic judge or would a rabid monkey that uses sign language suffice?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 11.6 Photos: A Visit from April's Mom
- The 10 Best Looks of 'Project Runway' Season 13
- 'Reign' Episode 2.5 Photos: Will Greer Get Married?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: One Team is Accused of Playing Dirty
- First Casualty of the Fall 2014 TV Season: ABC Cancels 'Manhattan Love Story'
- More From BuddyTV
- Constantine: Will You Go to Hell and Back for NBC's New Drama?
- Grimm Season 4 Premiere Recap: Trubel-ing Times
- ABC's Manhattan Love Story Is Fall TV Season's First Cancellation
- BSG's Tricia Helfer Suits Up as Harvey's Foe (and Lust Interest)
- The Originals Adds Everwood Alumna Debra Mooney as Werewolf Matriarch
- More From TVLine
- Renee Zellweger and 7 Other Stars Who Dramatically Changed Their Look
- One Direction Parties With Danny DeVito in ‘Steal My Girl' Music Video!
- Flashback: Before 'Honey Boo Boo' Got Famous
- Halle Berry vs. Britney Spears: Inside Look at Their Sexy Lingerie Lines
- Happy 30th Birthday Katy Perry! Watch Her Greatest ET Moments
- More From ET