simon cowell leaving american idol
More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. Here, we talk about a very aught-like phenomenon: the cult of celebrity.
There is no clearer metaphor for the concept of being a celebrity than the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You work hard to chase your dream and achieve a career for yourself by making your name known to the masses of the universe.
Then when you've grabbed that star and become a regular fixture in the flash bulb of the press' cameras, how does the public honor your tireless toil and efforts? They throw you down on a sidewalk and walk all over you.
In the Aughts, however, a new celebrity oozed out of the primordial muck. A celebrity that still suffered the slings and arrows of the tabloid press and a complete loss of the right to privacy, but achieved their stardom by simply cutting out all that pesky hard work and tireless effort nonsense. These are the celebrities who became famous by simply because they were famous.
The judge's brother, Tony Cowell, leaked the news on his podcast that Cowell's people are preparing a press release announcing that 2010 will be the final year Cowell sits in the judging seat on AI.
But don't celebrate the death of the lumbering reality TV giant yet, all you AI lovers and haters. Cowell is stepping away from AI to focus on the importing an American version of The X Factor. So who should AI replacing the acerbic judge or would a rabid monkey that uses sign language suffice?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Originals': 15 Shocking Moments from 'An Unblinking Death'
- USA Sets Summer Premiere Dates for 'Suits,' 'Graceland,' 'Covert Affairs' and More
- 'RHOA': Phaedra Parks Talks About Her Marriage Issues and Reunion Drama
- [Video] 'Arrow' Sneak Peek: Is Roy a Lost Cause?
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'Opening Night'
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: VH1 Cancels Best Week Ever, NBC Plans Coldplay Concert Special and More
- Exclusive Reign First Look: Francis, Mary and Catherine Get a Nasty Surprise
- Parks and Rec's Amy Poehler & Mike Schur on the Season Finale ('Big Things Happen'), Baby Mania
- May Sweeps Scoopapalooza: 99+ Spoilers on Your Favorite Series' Season-Ending Episodes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg to Host Final Saturday Night Live Episodes of the Season
- More From TVLine