simon cowell leaving american idol
More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. Here, we talk about a very aught-like phenomenon: the cult of celebrity.
There is no clearer metaphor for the concept of being a celebrity than the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You work hard to chase your dream and achieve a career for yourself by making your name known to the masses of the universe.
Then when you've grabbed that star and become a regular fixture in the flash bulb of the press' cameras, how does the public honor your tireless toil and efforts? They throw you down on a sidewalk and walk all over you.
In the Aughts, however, a new celebrity oozed out of the primordial muck. A celebrity that still suffered the slings and arrows of the tabloid press and a complete loss of the right to privacy, but achieved their stardom by simply cutting out all that pesky hard work and tireless effort nonsense. These are the celebrities who became famous by simply because they were famous.
The judge's brother, Tony Cowell, leaked the news on his podcast that Cowell's people are preparing a press release announcing that 2010 will be the final year Cowell sits in the judging seat on AI.
But don't celebrate the death of the lumbering reality TV giant yet, all you AI lovers and haters. Cowell is stepping away from AI to focus on the importing an American version of The X Factor. So who should AI replacing the acerbic judge or would a rabid monkey that uses sign language suffice?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Season Finale: 6 Cliffhangers to be Answered in Season 2
- 'Motive' Photos: Meet the Cast
- 'The Goodwin Games' Review: A Great New Comedy Worth Playing
- 'Motive' Review: A New, Suspenseful Twist on a Procedural
- 'Real Housewives' Roundup: Wedding Bells, Lockouts and Another Tell-All
- More From BuddyTV
- FBN's Charlie Gasparino and the business of good food
- 'Motive's Kristin Lehman on NKOTB Joey McIntyre's untimely TV demise: 'Please don't go girl!'
- 'The Goodwin Games' Scott Foley: From 'Scandal' high drama to FOX comedy
- NBC picks up thriller 'Siberia' to fill out its summer schedule
- 'Glee' actress Vanessa Lengies is leaving for 'Mixology'
- More From Zap2it
- Report: Michelle Stafford Exits Young & Restless
- TVLine Items: Has Jason Sudeikis Also Left SNL? Plus: X Factor Judges Update and More!
- Amy Schumer Kisses (Amber Tamblyn) and Tells All About Her Kinky Game of Thrones Fantasy
- Ratings: Billboard Music Awards Tops Charts With 10-Year High, Apprentice Hits Finale Low
- Exclusive First Look: Bates Motel Plans to Make a Killing at This Year's Emmys
- More From TVLine