simon cowell leaving american idol
More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. Here, we talk about a very aught-like phenomenon: the cult of celebrity.
There is no clearer metaphor for the concept of being a celebrity than the Hollywood Walk of Fame. You work hard to chase your dream and achieve a career for yourself by making your name known to the masses of the universe.
Then when you've grabbed that star and become a regular fixture in the flash bulb of the press' cameras, how does the public honor your tireless toil and efforts? They throw you down on a sidewalk and walk all over you.
In the Aughts, however, a new celebrity oozed out of the primordial muck. A celebrity that still suffered the slings and arrows of the tabloid press and a complete loss of the right to privacy, but achieved their stardom by simply cutting out all that pesky hard work and tireless effort nonsense. These are the celebrities who became famous by simply because they were famous.
The judge's brother, Tony Cowell, leaked the news on his podcast that Cowell's people are preparing a press release announcing that 2010 will be the final year Cowell sits in the judging seat on AI.
But don't celebrate the death of the lumbering reality TV giant yet, all you AI lovers and haters. Cowell is stepping away from AI to focus on the importing an American version of The X Factor. So who should AI replacing the acerbic judge or would a rabid monkey that uses sign language suffice?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Red Band Society' Premiere and Cast Photos
- 'Under the Dome': 19 Shocking Moments from 'Turn'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19 Premiere Performance Rankings
- [Video] 'New Girl' Season 4 Preview: A Wedding, A Proposal and A Love Triangle
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Predictions: Who Will Be Eliminated First on Season 19?
- More From BuddyTV
- Sneak Peek: Pay Your First Visit to Syfy's Town of the Living Dead
- Ratings: Dancing With the Stars Dips to Premiere Low, Dome Rises
- Gillian Jacobs to Star in Netflix Comedy From Judd Apatow
- Castle Season 7 Scoop: 'Really Fun' Alternate Reality Episode Will Ask, 'What If Rick and Kate Never....'
- Revenge Season 4 Trailer Teases Suicidal Twist, Victoria's Fiery Payback
- More From TVLine
- Billy Crystal Calls Robin Williams' Emmy Tribute 'Hardest Thing I've Ever Had to Do'
- Sharon Osbourne Calls U2 'Middle Age Political Groupies' with 'Mediocre' Music
- John Travolta Addresses Gay Rumors, Pending Lawsuit By an Alleged Former Lover
- Kim Kardashian Defends Kanye West After Wheelchair 'Lies'
- Barbra Streisand Performs a Medley with Jimmy Fallon
- More From ET