It was two decades ago that the Emmy-winning series premiered, earning critical acclaim and a loyal fanbase, while helping to launch the careers of up-and-comers like Ashley Judd and Paul Rudd. The series also earned a certain TV pilot veteran his shot at another TV drama that would send him on the path to big-screen stardom and an Oscar.
The show -- created by producers Ron Cowen and Daniel Lipman, who also created the U.S. adaptation of 'Queer As Folk' -- revolved around the four sisters of the Reed family, daughters of a workaholic, adulterous doctor who referred to his girls by male names (because he had wanted sons) and an alcoholic mother who'd turned to the bottle to deal with her physically and emotionally MIA husband.
Niles & Frasier Crane, Frasier
Two brothers, both psychiatrists, both opera buffs, both wine connoisseurs, both heterosexual despite evidence to the contrary. The Crane brothers were like two peas in a very funny pod, sparking each other in comedy, competitive and supportive at the same time. Making their brotherly friendship even funnier was the fact that their Dad, Martin, who was nothing like either one of them. What's even funnier is the fact that when Frasier was originally spun-off from Cheers, the writers didn't include the character of Niles. It was only after seeing an 8x10 of David Hyde Pierce, and how much he looked like Kelsey Grammer's brother, that they put him in the pilot. Frasier would not have been nearly the hit comedy it was without the brother angle.
There's a good chance I'm losing my mind, but I swear I've written about the series The Return of Jezebel James before. However, I can't seem to find the post anywhere on this blog. Perhaps I just imagined it, or I'm schizophrenic and my other personality wrote about it for a rival TV blog.
At any rate, Parker Posey has just been added to the new FOX pilot about a children's book editor who asks her estranged sister to carry her baby for her. The series comes from Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, who is executive producing along with her husband, Daniel Palladino. The couple, rightly so, were thrilled when Posey said yes. I was also thrilled when Posey said yes, to me, in a dream last night when I posed this question: Do you want to make out on this giant plate of elbow macaroni?
Sorry, I've always kinda had a thing for Parker Posey. She's enough to make me want to check out this new show at least once. We'll see if the series as a whole is worth sticking around for, as well.
Patricia had this to say about the collaboration: "I was always a bossy little girl and being David's older sister I've bossed him around quite a bit. Now that he'll be directing me it will be payback time...I feel so safe with him. I think I'll be able to go to some of my darkest places." That's kinda creepy, but whatever, you work out those family neuroses. When you're done, maybe you could straighten those Baldwins out.
Knowing Amy's writing style, I'm sure there will be lots of references to current and past pop culture, with band names popping up from time to time.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Elementary' My Dear Watson: Best Deductions from 'Ears to You'
- 'The Following' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland': 19 Moments of Shock, Determination, Joy and Grief in 'Nothing to Fear'
- 'Intelligence' Season 1 Episode Photos
- 'Scandal': 15 Jaw-Dropping Moments from 'We Do Not Touch the First Ladies'
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Sherlock' Season 4: Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss tease Moriarty's return, premiere date
- Katie Holmes cast to star in 'Dangerous Liaisons'-style pilot on ABC
- 'Mad Men' gets a groovy Season 7 poster from graphic artist Milton Glaser
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 4: First four episode descriptions released
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter wants Aaron Paul in Season 7
- More From Zap2it
- Veronica Mars Movie: Jason Dohring Answers the Burning Question – Is 'LoVe' Still in the Air?
- TVLine Items: Sharknado 2 Premiere Date, True Blood Promotion, Orphan Catch-Up and More
- Pilot News: Felicity Huffman Joins American Crime, John Corbett Returns to FX and More
- Did Glee Dis Artie? Why'd Castle Spoil a Twist? Are We to 'Ship Dead's Daryl/Beth? And More Qs!
- Exclusive Bones Clip: Booth, Brennan Squabble About Insurance (It's Funnier Than It Sounds)
- More From TVLine