It was two decades ago that the Emmy-winning series premiered, earning critical acclaim and a loyal fanbase, while helping to launch the careers of up-and-comers like Ashley Judd and Paul Rudd. The series also earned a certain TV pilot veteran his shot at another TV drama that would send him on the path to big-screen stardom and an Oscar.
The show -- created by producers Ron Cowen and Daniel Lipman, who also created the U.S. adaptation of 'Queer As Folk' -- revolved around the four sisters of the Reed family, daughters of a workaholic, adulterous doctor who referred to his girls by male names (because he had wanted sons) and an alcoholic mother who'd turned to the bottle to deal with her physically and emotionally MIA husband.
Niles & Frasier Crane, Frasier
Two brothers, both psychiatrists, both opera buffs, both wine connoisseurs, both heterosexual despite evidence to the contrary. The Crane brothers were like two peas in a very funny pod, sparking each other in comedy, competitive and supportive at the same time. Making their brotherly friendship even funnier was the fact that their Dad, Martin, who was nothing like either one of them. What's even funnier is the fact that when Frasier was originally spun-off from Cheers, the writers didn't include the character of Niles. It was only after seeing an 8x10 of David Hyde Pierce, and how much he looked like Kelsey Grammer's brother, that they put him in the pilot. Frasier would not have been nearly the hit comedy it was without the brother angle.
There's a good chance I'm losing my mind, but I swear I've written about the series The Return of Jezebel James before. However, I can't seem to find the post anywhere on this blog. Perhaps I just imagined it, or I'm schizophrenic and my other personality wrote about it for a rival TV blog.
At any rate, Parker Posey has just been added to the new FOX pilot about a children's book editor who asks her estranged sister to carry her baby for her. The series comes from Gilmore Girls creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, who is executive producing along with her husband, Daniel Palladino. The couple, rightly so, were thrilled when Posey said yes. I was also thrilled when Posey said yes, to me, in a dream last night when I posed this question: Do you want to make out on this giant plate of elbow macaroni?
Sorry, I've always kinda had a thing for Parker Posey. She's enough to make me want to check out this new show at least once. We'll see if the series as a whole is worth sticking around for, as well.
Patricia had this to say about the collaboration: "I was always a bossy little girl and being David's older sister I've bossed him around quite a bit. Now that he'll be directing me it will be payback time...I feel so safe with him. I think I'll be able to go to some of my darkest places." That's kinda creepy, but whatever, you work out those family neuroses. When you're done, maybe you could straighten those Baldwins out.
Knowing Amy's writing style, I'm sure there will be lots of references to current and past pop culture, with band names popping up from time to time.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 16 Amazing Christmas Episodes You Can Watch Right Now
- 'Bachelor' Star Chris Soules and Other Stars from the Franchise to Grace Rose Parade
- 'Kardashians' Star Khloe Kardashian Denies She Kicked Out Her Brother Rob Out of Her House
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: Does Phaedra Fall for Apollo's Stunt?
- 'Glee' Episodes 6.3 and 6.4 Photos: A Love Triangle for Kurt
- More From BuddyTV
- Mike Colter to Play Marvel Hero Luke Cage in Netflix's Jessica Jones Series
- Sleepy Hollow Photos: Ichabod's Date, Michelle Trachtenberg's Arrival & More
- Ratings: The Sound of Music Dips, Sunday Night Football Drops
- Pretty Little Liars Sneak Peek: Is This Emily and Paige's Last Goodbye?
- The Affair Season Finale Recap: They Can't Handle the Truth
- More From TVLine
- How Robin Williams Helped His ‘Night at the Museum' Costar Get a Prom Date
- FLASHBACK: Scream Real Loud for Pee-wee Herman's 1988 Christmas Special!
- Singer Joe Cocker Dead at 70
- EXCLUSIVE! Lea Michele Spills Secrets from the Set of 'Glee's Final Season
- Jena Malone on Unconventional Childhood: 'I had 2 Moms, and It Was Awesome'
- More From ET